Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play

Best case scenario imo is that DeVito gets healthy, it remains a secret, and against Notre Dame we get to have a "Bah Gawd that's Tommy DeVito's music!" scenario and he makes a surprise appearance against Notre Dame, takes them out in South Bend, keeps them out of the playoff, and we head into next season reinvigorated and with crazy momentum.

JR reference is worth 1,000 likes.

Nope. You start TD and give Morgan meaningful reps during the game. Some of us learned from Arob, some of you did not. This isn't an OL you throw a true frosh behind every snap, it will break him eventually

Arob was much like Rex. Same build, same athletic ability, probably not a P5 QB but something which is why they moved him to TE. I think it has more to do with that then playing behind a poor OL.

To your last point, this is exactly what we did on Saturday and we played arguably our second most efficient game of the year with JM at QB. We have a better chance at him running away from sacks rather then taking them.

Arob was much like Rex. Same build, same athletic ability, probably not a P5 QB but something which is why they moved him to TE. I think it has more to do with that then playing behind a poor OL.

To your last point, this is exactly what we did on Saturday and we played arguably our second most efficient game of the year with JM at QB. We have a better chance at him running away from sacks rather then taking them.
1 game against a defense with no film on the QB is not exactly representative of what the rest of the season might bring. Better chance at running away from the sacks? He should be learning the offense and it's intricacies not running for his life - this is exactly why I have the opinion I do that you don't START JM over TD.

1 game against a defense with no film on the QB is not exactly representative of what the rest of the season might bring. Better chance at running away from the sacks? He should be learning the offense and it's intricacies not running for his life - this is exactly why I have the opinion I do that you don't START JM over TD.

Eh, agree to disagree. TD took 20 sacks in 4 games. JM took 4 the other day. The season is lost. Let's continue to prep for the future.

Eh, agree to disagree. TD took 20 sacks in 4 games. JM took 4 the other day. The season is lost. Let's continue to prep for the future.
I guess 16 is better than 20 but not by much, it's 1 less sack per game. And are you saying that you're basically done with TD and want to hand the keys over to JM permanently? If we are going to draw that line in the sand then consider me firmly on the side of want TD to return and start next year.

Best case scenario imo is that DeVito gets healthy, it remains a secret, and against Notre Dame we get to have a "Bah Gawd that's Tommy DeVito's music!" scenario and he makes a surprise appearance against Notre Dame, takes them out in South Bend, keeps them out of the playoff, and we head into next season reinvigorated and with crazy momentum.
Rev returns.

I guess 16 is better than 20 but not by much, it's 1 less sack per game. And are you saying that you're basically done with TD and want to hand the keys over to JM permanently? If we are going to draw that line in the sand then consider me firmly on the side of want TD to return and start next year.

No I didn't say that. However, I have been saying for weeks that TD needs competition in the QB room to improve. It's my opinion that JM gets as many reps as possible the rest of this season to ensure there is competition in the QB room this coming spring, summer, and in training camp. TD was handed the keys by Dino and we obviously haven't done a great job bringing in talent to compete with him. Competition breeds success. I know for a fact having TD in the room sparked a fire with ED and look how that played out.

If we were 4-4 or even 3-5 right now, I'd be all about starting TD when he returns. We'd still be playing for something at that point.

understood but Fat Pirate didn’t do that as a true freshman, he did that as a senior, and he NEVER looked like McNabb (nor was he a runner). Im not sure what people want/expect. Morgan in two games has looked as good as any SU freshman to ever throw a pass except Graves, McNabb and Dungey. And Graves:McNabb had redshirts under their belts.
And Nassib.

Or maybe I'm bothered by the fact that we are 6 and 14 in our last 20 games. Just saying.

You have been pretty negative lately, but we've all got a real good reason.
Last season was a big letdown, but this season is a disaster.

No I didn't say that. However, I have been saying for weeks that TD needs competition in the QB room to improve. It's my opinion that JM gets as many reps as possible the rest of this season to ensure there is competition in the QB room this coming spring, summer, and in training camp. TD was handed the keys by Dino and we obviously haven't done a great job bringing in talent to compete with him. Competition breeds success. I know for a fact having TD in the room sparked a fire with ED and look how that played out.

If we were 4-4 or even 3-5 right now, I'd be all about starting TD when he returns. We'd still be playing for something at that point.
I don't think you bench your starting QB for next year. Sends a bad message to the team. If his health is iffy and you want to shut him down for the season based on that then fine. But to shut down a healthy TD just so a backup can get more reps is bad mojo.

If TD is healthy and gives us the best chance to win, he should play. We're always playing for something. At the least a strong finish looks better to recruits. If we can point to late season success due to guys coming back from injury or team development, the optics look better and allows coaches to point to early season injuries for the poor play.

In that scenario, I think we're still smart to give Morgan some situational run, given the potential he exhibited.

I don't think anyone should be anointed as the 2021 starter -- as with any position, it should be an open competition decided on the practice field. If TD beats out Morgan -- disco, he starts and has Jacobian nipping at his heels. But if Morgan performs better, TD should not be given the starting role just because he's the incumbent.

May the best player win the job.

watch any game outside of the NFL. Fields, Lawrence often scramble, make plays with legs and arms. Maybe we don't have the weapons or line but it s a big part of being successful QB.

I thought Morgan looked quite good in the first half. I know it won't happen but starting QB should be open competition next season

Maybe Morgan reminds me of Byron Leftwich
I like how catchable of a ball he throws and how he throws it high to WR's. Think you get a lot of PI's that way. He is playing behind a swiss cheese line and RBs who miss blocks but like how he checked down and his touch on short passes.

I like how catchable of a ball he throws and how he throws it high to WR's. Think you get a lot of PI's that way. He is playing behind a swiss cheese line and RBs who miss blocks but like how he checked down and his touch on short passes.
I like how he picks up the tight ends. If Syracuse has an advantage on the receiving corps I think it's the tight ends. Benson is too fast for a linebacker to cover and both are too big an physical for safety's to push around . Both guys catch whats thrown at them. Why can't Benson line up wide with Hackett at TE?

I thought Morgan looked quite good in the first half. I know it won't happen but starting QB should be open competition next season
Dino is up against it. He has already proven he can make difficult decisions with the staff. I think every position will be competitive.

IMO, too much of this analysis is coming through the prism of fandom, not that of an elite athlete.
1. if you possessed the talent and work ethic of TD, you would confidently welcome competition — Bring it on! — because it will make you better and because you have an unshakable belief in your own ability. If you think TD is intimidated by Morgan or another QB we may bring in, you’re seriously underestimating him.
2. From what I’m hearing, Morgan has a chance to be a really good quarterback. He’s humble, poised and talented. That’s a good thing. In 2018, we had two really capable quarterbacks — and that was a big reason we were 10-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom