Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play

You guys keep bringing up a transfer Qb
Any Qb worth a salt isn’t coming I said it multiple times there no sales pitch
Yeah a scrub who wants a chance to play
That’s it
Not sure thats true unless Dino made promises TD will always be the starter.

I'm not saying he can't be decent. We have a 4 star QB on the roster and other good qbs in the portal. If your plan is going with a QB next year with offers from austin p and praire view good luck.

You must have forgotten that a big reason he was under recruited was because MS school recruits notoriously have academic issues including his school. This was called out numerous times in his recruiting thread.

This offense is never going to work in the ACC. We need to have dual threat QB's who can move and extend plays. No one presently here will be able to win running this offense.
He had some nice pocket presence but could've throw the ball away on a few plays. Happens a lot with young QBs.
With the bye week here he will spend a ton of time in the film room the next 2 weeks , His numbers today were very close to Jurkovec's only Morgan was sacked 4 times and Jurkovec was not sacked once , overall I was very pleased with that young man's performance today.

Fat Pirate almost threw for 5,000 yards and had 46 TD passes.

That would destroy our record book.

understood but Fat Pirate didn’t do that as a true freshman, he did that as a senior, and he NEVER looked like McNabb (nor was he a runner). Im not sure what people want/expect. Morgan in two games has looked as good as any SU freshman to ever throw a pass except Graves, McNabb and Dungey. And Graves:McNabb had redshirts under their belts.

understood but Fat Pirate didn’t do that as a true freshman, he did that as a senior, and he NEVER looked like McNabb (nor was he a runner). Im not sure what people want/expect. Morgan in two games has looked as good as any SU freshman to ever throw a pass except Graves, McNabb and Dungey. And Graves:McNabb had redshirts under their belts.
Oh no, I'm with you. I was saying it would be incredible if Morgan produces at Fat Pirate levels some day.

Oh no, I'm with you. I was saying it would be incredible if Morgan produces at Fat Pirate levels some day.

yeah it would be incredible,...Johnson might be a bad example because he could really sling it, but Johnson to me just knew how to play QB, ...he was the complete opposite of mcnabb though. I think Morgan has some good QB qualities.

Not sure thats true unless Dino made promises TD will always be the starter.

Yeah, either he's delusional or Dino is a terrible coach.

You never tell a player he will ALWAYS be your starter.

No one is guaranteed a job if another player is better.

When you start coaching that way, you're done.

Honestly? This game reminded me a lot of Dungey against Rhode Island. He wasn’t perfect, but I was impressed. He definitely doesn’t throw caution to the wind like Dungey did as a Freshman, but who needs to do that?

He’s saying our OL stinks and that will make it hard to get someone better than TD

This weird promise thing doesn’t exist as evidenced by Eric playing while he sat. Too much cous cous posting

What do you think he meant, then, by "there is no pitch"?

That Dino can't sell the program to another good QB?
That the line is too terrible to get a decent QB who could compete with Tommy?

That the offense is no longer cutting edge, and in fact is simple and stale?

Because, let's be honest - we've seen 20 games or so of Tommy, and while he throws 3 or 4 pretty passes per game, he is not an elite QB. He won't scare anyone away who thinks they are good.

He’s saying our OL stinks and that will make it hard to get someone better than TD

This weird promise thing doesn’t exist as evidenced by Eric playing while he sat. Too much cous cous posting

I think he meant Tommy has the job locked down and no new kid is coming in and beating him out, so anyone with visions of starting isn’t going to look here.

If he is saying the OL will stink next year or there will be issues with the wr or play calling which would be the reason a transfer that is any good would not want to come to SU then what is the reason td would stay?

And yet after 5 years there is only 1 viable QB on the team.

I think he meant Tommy has the job locked down and no new kid is coming in and beating him out, so anyone with visions of starting isn’t going to look here.

Could be. I’ve made that same case. I think it’s a factor for sure. I’ve seen his Dad make the case that our current OL and WR group is a hard sell here too.

The flip side of the argument is that Dino only has eyes for TD and chases away talent at the position because he’d rather lose than find competition. That’s the one that is definitely a huge pile of bunk

What do you think he meant, then, by "there is no pitch"?

That Dino can't sell the program to another good QB?
That the line is too terrible to get a decent QB who could compete with Tommy?

That the offense is no longer cutting edge, and in fact is simple and stale?

Because, let's be honest - we've seen 20 games or so of Tommy, and while he throws 3 or 4 pretty passes per game, he is not an elite QB. He won't scare anyone away who thinks they are good.
I think that's pretty much what he means. He frequently cites oline play and the lack of playmaking at WR. He feels other qbs would see the same thing and be turned off.

Last edited:
If he is saying the OL will stink next year or there will be issues with the wr or play calling which would be the reason a transfer that is any good would not want to come to SU then what is the reason td would stay?
I think I've seen him express hope in the oline for next year, if we can get/keep guys healthy. He may assume guys outside of the program won't see the same thing. He also thinks TD is an elitle talent that would look elite with better play around him. I don't think we should be surprised by his opinion of his own son, should we?

You don’t need a cannon or elite speed to be a good college quarterback. You do (typically) need one of those to go to the nfl. That’s a big difference. This kid sees the field, completes passes, and makes good decisions. He might not win any QB challenges like RGLCL did (some Peyton Manning passing camp award) but who cares. He also has been playing high level football for all of 3 months. There is a lot of untapped potential to coach.

Morgan has the opportunity to and likely will get better. If that’s good enough to start some day then great I feel like he will win more games than he loses. If it’s not and there is someone who beats him out then even better.

The flip side of the argument is that Dino only has eyes for TD and chases away talent at the position because he’d rather lose than find competition. That’s the one that is definitely a huge pile of bunk

Well, I'm not sure what he's said to all these QB recruits, but it's hard to believe we have 2 empty gap years between our 4th year starting QB (prior to his injury) and the freshmen back-ups.

If he told some of those prospects that they have to come in and wait 2 or 3 years to get their chance, well, that's not how you recruit.

If you are not telling every kid that every position is an open competition all the time, then you are not a top coach. The best teams have lots of competition within the squad. That keeps everybody improving, everyone on their toes, trying to get better.

I give him a solid B. He needs to assert himself and make things happen. Don't get into the over thinking mode, go out and play football.

Upon rewatch I thought Morgan played really well. I think some of the criticism is nuts.

First thing is a I love his cerebral, calm presence.

if his first option isn’t there he looks around. Has good feel in the pocket. Keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling.

most of his passes were right on the money. One bad slant pass but otherwise was accurate. Has good zip and arm strength.

executed a beautiful screen pass to Tucker. That should be a given but it’s usually a disaster for our QBs.

Lots to work with here. I think he has the potential to be way better than RJ or Perry, Mason, Downing and I see shades of Marvin. I think he can be better.

By the way, that should have been unnecessary roughness when he got hard pushed into the bench on the sideline. Was clearly giving himself up to the boundary. Refs are supposed to protect QBs.

Upon rewatch I thought Morgan played really well. I think some of the criticism is nuts.

if his first option isn’t there he looks around. Has good feel in the pocket. Keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling.
most of his passes were right on the money. One bad slant pass but otherwise was accurate. Has good zip and arm strength.

I think he has a cerebral, calm presence and I like that in a QB.

executed a beautiful screen pass to Tucker. That should be a given but it’s usually a disaster for our QBs.

Lots to work with here. I think he has the potential to be way better than RJ or Perry, Mason, Downing and I see shades of Marvin. I think he can be better.

By the way, that should have been unnecessary roughness when he got hard pushed into the bench on the sideline. Was clearly giving himself up to the boundary. Refs are supposed to protect QBs.
He showed enough to make me feel better about the future of QB room. We have to see him develop on his deep passes. That will ultimately determine if he can beat out TD or any transfer. He has plenty of time to improve on that but to say he doesnt have a chance to be a future starter after yesterday's game is non sense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom