Most clutch shooter of all time | Syracusefan.com

Most clutch shooter of all time

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
On "inside college basketball" on siriusxm just now, the topic of the most clutch shooter of all time came up.

The first guy that came up was one Gerard Onions McNamara.

50 guys were discussed, but Gmac was on the tip of both host's tongues. Awesome.

he did it on the 2 biggest stages. national championship game and big east tournament at the garden with his team on the bubble.

I've heard of Joey McNamara, but have never heard of this Gerry McNamara you speak of.

With that being said:

ny_bigeast_04.jpg

hate to say it, but kemba HAS to be on that list too.

there is no such thing as clutch
One of the sillest statements I hear in sports. I can prove there is in about 2 minutes. I'll take the time now. In life in general, do some people panic under pressure. Have you ever seen a person panic when they seen someone hurt? Have you ever seen another person be calm and cool under that same pressure and act calmly under this pressure? Of course you have. Some people choke. Some people do not. It's part of human nature. In sports, some people don't let the moment get too big for them and they stay relaxed. Others can't do that. Now most, will do exactly what they would do any time, pressure or not. You are correct about that. But there are exceptions both ways. Just like there are in any other experience in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the sillest statements I hear in sports. I can prove there is in about 2 minutes. I'll take the time now. In life in general, do some people panic under pressure. Have you ever seen a person panic when they seen someone hurt? Have you ever seen another person be calm and cool under that same pressure and act calmly under this pressure? Of course you have. Some people choke. Some people do not. It's part of human nature. In sports, some people don't let the moment get too big for them and they stay relaxed. Others can't do that. Now most, will do exactly what they would do any time, pressure or not. You are correct about that. But there are exceptions both ways. Just like there are in any other experience in life.

My problem is espn & every radio hack would have you believe that EVERYONE is an exception. In fact their list of guys who do perform the same and aren't an exception is almost shorter (Drew Brees comes to mind). Kevin Durant is another one right now but wait another couple years if he hasn't won a title yet..that will change real fast.
I do think that "choking" logically makes more sense than "clutch" because I mean what, the clutch guy doesn't try to make shots in the 1st half?

There's also the matter of horrendously inconsistent criteria for what counts for a "big game" depending on how many rings someone won in previous seasons - which - is really stupid and nonsensical when you think about it. A conference championship game for instance, is either big or it isn't. But as Bill Barnwell has pointed out, P. Manning carving up a historically great Jets pass defense didn't really count as clutch even though it would have had he/they lost.

Maybe it's an exaggeration to say it doesn't exist but I think it's a truer statement than the current perception most fans have.

Don't particularly want to say it, but on the college level, Christian Laettner is the first guy that comes to my mind

Damn, I saw the thread title and was going to come in here and write "Gerry McNamara" as a hilarious joke.

Didn't expect to see him as the actual subject.

It's easy to say that "there's no such thing as clutch" because people who are great tend to be great in almost every situation. But the easiest thing to point to, for me at least, is Alex Rodriguez vs. Derek Jeter. Rodriguez is (was?) pretty indisputably a better hitter than Jeter, yet ARod shrivels in big moments and Jeter always seems to step up and deliver. Some people just have more mental fortitude. Others can't handle the pressure or get scared in the moment.

(Note: I'm not a Yankee fan, either, so this isn't just some "I hate ARod and Jeter is God!" post, either)

Last edited:
Oh and for the record, if I could choose ANYONE...if we are talking about clutch in general, and not just clutch in college hoops...I would take Larry Bird and Michael Jordan every day of the week. When it comes to college...that's a trickier question. GMac would have to be up there, it's amazing the dude hasn't had severe back problems hauling around balls that big.

Damn, I saw the thread title and was going to come in here and write "Gerry McNamara" as a hilarious joke.

Didn't expect to see him as the actual subject.
How many college shooters that you have seen do you think were better clutch shooters than gmac? Please give me 5 names.

It's easy to say that "there's no such thing as clutch" because people who are great tend to be great in almost every situation. But the easiest thing to point to, for me at least, is Alex Rodriguez vs. Derek Jeter. Rodriguez is (was?) pretty indisputably a better hitter than Jeter, yet ARod shrivels in big moments and Jeter always seems to step up and deliver. Some people just have more mental fortitude. Others can't handle the pressure or get scared in the moment.

(Note: I'm not a Yankee fan, either, so this isn't just some "I hate ARod and Jeter is God!" post, either)

The thing is, I believe Arod has better post season numbers than Jeter? (they were pretty close at one point, baseball reference is blocked at my work)
I think the key to being considered a clutch player is to do well early in your career. That rep can stay with you forever. Tom brady has been pretty ordinary in a lot of big games the last 7 or 8 years, but he was so good early, it takes a lot to wash that away. Lebron the other way.

The thing is, I believe Arod has better post season numbers than Jeter? (they were pretty close at one point, baseball reference is blocked at my work)
I think the key to being considered a clutch player is to do well early in your career. That rep can stay with you forever. Tom brady has been pretty ordinary in a lot of big games the last 7 or 8 years, but he was so good early, it takes a lot to wash that away. Lebron the other way.
Wrong. First, I am a red sox fan but you are wrong. AROD has hit .263 in post season play and has only 13 HR's. Jeter is a .308 hitter has 20 HR's. Now before someone wastes my time by saying that is Jeter's average in regular season games, that proves the point. You don't see 5th starters in the post season and you don't see long relievers.

Wrong. First, I am a red sox fan but you are wrong. AROD has hit .263 in post season play and has only 13 HR's. Jeter is a .308 hitter has 20 HR's. Now before someone wastes my time by saying that is Jeter's average in regular season games, that proves the point. You don't see 5th starters in the post season and you don't see long relievers.

That's just average and HR, and Jeter has played a lot more games. I was referring to their BA/OBP/SLG slash line.
Got a workaround; Arod is 263/369/464, Jeter is 308/374/465. So they are pretty much identical. (That's even closer than I expected, to be honest) And that is probably harder on Arod, because he didn't have nearly as many playoff PA when he was in his prime compared to Jeter.

jekelish said:
It's easy to say that "there's no such thing as clutch" because people who are great tend to be great in almost every situation. But the easiest thing to point to, for me at least, is Alex Rodriguez vs. Derek Jeter. Rodriguez is (was?) pretty indisputably a better hitter than Jeter, yet ARod shrivels in big moments and Jeter always seems to step up and deliver. Some people just have more mental fortitude. Others can't handle the pressure or get scared in the moment. (Note: I'm not a Yankee fan, either, so this isn't just some "I hate ARod and Jeter is God!" post, either)
A rod was not a better hitter than Jeter, a better power hitter no doubt but def not a better hitter.

I can remember plenty of times where Gmac didn't show up at the end of games. And there's nothing wrong with that. He had some great endings to games and had some great runs. Like somebody else mentioned earlier, if a guy hits a game ending shot, or throws a late game touchdown, or a walk off home run or hit early in their career the reputation sticks.

If Cooney is hitting 40% from 3 all season and hits 4 buzzer beaters in 10 chances, is he clutch? Is he not? Or is he just playing to his averages?

Last edited:
A rod was not a better hitter than Jeter, a better power hitter no doubt but def not a better hitter.

Arod was easily a better hitter than Jeter. career wRC+ of 143 vs 121 for Jeter. Jeter is a better average hitter (though not much) but Arod walks more and blows him away with power.

That's just average and HR, and Jeter has played a lot more games. I was referring to their BA/OBP/SLG slash line.
Got a workaround; Arod is 263/369/464, Jeter is 308/374/465. So they are pretty much identical. (That's even closer than I expected, to be honest) And that is probably harder on Arod, because he didn't have nearly as many playoff PA when he was in his prime compared to Jeter.

ARod had an absurd # of game winning hits in the '09 postseason too.
Very true that experiencing the positive side of variance early in your career is everything...
If he had the same postseason in '04 he'd probably be perceived much better.

Yeah and if i recall correctly (may not, not a Yankee fan) he was awesome down the stretch and 05 and carried them into the playoffs.

But his story was written in 04 really, agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom