Most clutch shooter of all time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most clutch shooter of all time

Knicks411 said:
Arod was easily a better hitter than Jeter. career wRC+ of 143 vs 121 for Jeter. Jeter is a better average hitter (though not much) but Arod walks more and blows him away with power.
I watched the games ,hundreds of them both playing . A rod needed to take ped's to play at a high level and pad his stat's , so throw your stats away when they come to A Rod. Jeter has over 3,000 career hits and never was accused of cheating . He used his natural ability and did things the right way.

Pistol Pete Maravich. Maybe the best shooter ever including style points.

albanycuse said:
I watched the games ,hundreds of them both playing . A rod needed to take ped's to play at a high level and pad his stat's , so throw your stats away when they come to A Rod. Jeter has over 3,000 career hits and never was accused of cheating . He used his natural ability and did things the right way.

I'm not saying he did, but what would happen if it came out that he did?

There was a time nobody thought Arod would be lumped in with everybody.

In all reality nobody knows who did and who didn't use these things.

One of the sillest statements I hear in sports. I can prove there is in about 2 minutes. I'll take the time now. In life in general, do some people panic under pressure. Have you ever seen a person panic when they seen someone hurt? Have you ever seen another person be calm and cool under that same pressure and act calmly under this pressure? Of course you have. Some people choke. Some people do not. It's part of human nature. In sports, some people don't let the moment get too big for them and they stay relaxed. Others can't do that. Now most, will do exactly what they would do any time, pressure or not. You are correct about that. But there are exceptions both ways. Just like there are in any other experience in life.

Agreed. Some people can't handle sitting near the emergency exit of a plane, for example.

he did it on the 2 biggest stages. national championship game and big east tournament at the garden with his team on the bubble.
And that game he had against BYU was like Carmelo going for 62.

Agreed. Some people can't handle sitting near the emergency exit of a plane, for example.
Odd, my wife and I talked about this an hour ago. About when its really life and death I calm down, act calmingly, keep the day-to-day normal etc, but
when its not a dire circumstance, I freak out and lose it over the stupidest crap. I guess SU fit in there somewhere :p
We have been married since 1981 and actually sat with me at courtside seats for the 81' BET (Rautins, Supronowicz etc) and she has seen a lifetime of Ugly Mood Swings (UMS)
relating to Syracuse basketball.

A lot of it is just body chemistry - adrenaline. That's what causes knee knocking and hand shaking. It is different in everyone which is why some can't play in big games as they are just a bit off due to adrenaline. Golfers always combat it and even the best of them have to alter club selection coming down the stretch. An initial rush of adrenaline might get you but it will usually settle down and get under control as the situation/game whatever goes along.

One of the sillest statements I hear in sports. I can prove there is in about 2 minutes. I'll take the time now. In life in general, do some people panic under pressure. Have you ever seen a person panic when they seen someone hurt? Have you ever seen another person be calm and cool under that same pressure and act calmly under this pressure? Of course you have. Some people choke. Some people do not. It's part of human nature. In sports, some people don't let the moment get too big for them and they stay relaxed. Others can't do that. Now most, will do exactly what they would do any time, pressure or not. You are correct about that. But there are exceptions both ways. Just like there are in any other experience in life.
Yup. My SO flips out under pressure situations whereas I get calm and focused. However, I could not hit 6 threes in a title game. Well actually I could as long as no one was guarding me.

lol you guys aren't describing clutch because there isn't a thing. What you are describing is choking, which definitely exists.

lol you guys aren't describing clutch because there isn't a thing. What you are describing is choking, which definitely exists.
How on earth can you watch a team that features Tyler Ennis, and be a fan of a school that produced Gerry McNamara, and not recognize that "clutch" is a thing? Players who step up in the critical moments are clutch. Period.

jekelish said:
How on earth can you watch a team that features Tyler Ennis, and be a fan of a school that produced Gerry McNamara, and not recognize that "clutch" is a thing? Players who step up in the critical moments are clutch. Period.

Or maybe they're just good players that make plays that good players make?

What allows them to be clutch? Is it a higher level of play they harness in end game situations? Why don't they play at that higher level the whole game?

silly. some people panic and somr excell. In all of life.

What allows them to be clutch? Is it a higher level of play they harness in end game situations? Why don't they play at that higher level the whole game?
the rise to the moment. Why do some people panic at crunch time. Why don't they panic all the time.

skurey said:

You fail basic logic. If someone is less than average in end game situations (I.e choking), by the definition of average, there exists a condition where someone is better than average in end game situations (I.e. clutch). One cannot logically exist without the other.

You fail basic logic. If someone is less than average in end game situations (I.e choking), by the definition of average, there exists a condition where someone is better than average in end game situations (I.e. clutch). One cannot logically exist without the other.
my point exactly

dasher said:
my point exactly

Right. It's not even debatable. It's not opinion. If one accepts the existence of choking then it is irrational to deny the existence of clutch.

Right. It's not even debatable. It's not opinion. If one accepts the existence of choking then it is irrational to deny the existence of clutch.

Or would clutch just be the absence of choking?

you guys are the one failing basic logic.

One can "choke" by getting nervous, in their head, ect. One cannot make themself be clutch by focusing more or whatever.

skurey is right. It's not "basic logic" that fluctuations in individual performance at the end of games have to be a zero sum game. Glad you weren't grading my Ps & Qs.

BuffOrange said:
skurey is right. It's not "basic logic" that fluctuations in individual performance at the end of games have to be a zero sum game. Glad you weren't grading my Ps & Qs.

Sure they do. An average means zero sum. It's actually the definition. I mean, are you guys serious? What am I missing here?

I don't see how you can believe in choke and not believe in clutch. If one exists, the other has to.

In college, it's Laettner.

4 Final Fours and 2 National Championships in his 4 years

2 buzzer-beaters in Regional Finals that got his team to the Final Four

Career 49% 3-pt shooter even though he was a big man who rarely shot 3's (79-163 in a 4-year career)

In the NCAA tournament (again, this is 4 FF's in 4 yrs -- 23 games out of a max possible 24 in a 4-year career), his numbers?

17.7 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 60% from the field, 47% from 3, 85% FT's in 31 mpg (realize that, his freshman year, he only averaged 8 ppg and 4 rpg in the regular season in 16 mpg, whereas he averaged 15 ppg and 7 rpg on 80% shooting in 24 mpg in the tournament).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom