Most disappointing moment as a fan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most disappointing moment as a fan

Maybe not but considering the accusers were lying it turned out not to be a big deal.
But they weren't victims. They were scammers.

There was also an FBI agent that made accusations.

The phone calls between the accusers and Mrs Fine were extremely disturbing. I’m not saying those two guys were credible but there was something there.

The phone calls between the accusers and Mrs Fine were extremely disturbing.
It's amazing that this is still an issue.

Bernie Fine was fired after this tape became public.
It was a tape that did not even contain his voice.
Syracuse University fired him...without even a fig leaf of due process.
And Bernie Fine never seriously contested the firing (the brief legal case notwithstanding).

That scenario suggests:
1. There was more to this than has ever been made public.
2. Bernie Fine failed to fight for his reputation for a reason.

If the allegations were false it's hard to imagine situation in which someone wouldn't fight...especially someone with the financial resources to wage a fight.

Onuaku getting injured and the team losing to Butler because of it, then seeing that Butler team almost beat a crappy Duke team in the NC.

I'm born after Smart so in my life it's AO going down with his injury. I loved that team, it was the year they would play on Monday night again for the chip.

AO is it for me as well. We were so good.

I was a senior in HS in 87 but wasn't all in on SU yet, so that game was just a hard fought game with an amazing (now terrible) finish.

On the court- Keith Smart smarted but it was one of two great plays by him. I'll go with having providence miss 9 straight free throws down the stretch in '99 and then getting 9 straight offensive rebounds when we were trying to get the ball back. The team left the court to a chorus of boos and JB didn't bother defending his players in the pressor. I think he did more than boo in the locker room.

Off the court- Fab's suspension for the NCAA tournament when we thought everything had been taken care of. I was in my car and almost drove off the road.

Was that the same game that Providence started 16-0 or something and we had to stand and clap well after the under-16:00 timeout?

Because that was a VERY underrated frustrating game. That team was so inconsistent.

Winfred Walton not qualifying was disappointing. He was supposed to be the next Derrick Coleman/John Wallace. Him, Ramel Lloyd & Lasean Howard were all disappointments.

Winfred Walton not qualifying and Billy Edelin's first suspension were similar disappointments - really highly-rated freshmen who were allegedly going to play huge roles and suddenly got removed from the team when it was way too late to find other options. Ironically, it might've worked out best for Billy this way, but that was crushing at the time.

Utter Misery: Smart at the buzzer
Unmitigated Disappointment: Arinze getting injured
Total Disgust: The sanctions

I'm born after Smart so in my life it's AO going down with his injury. I loved that team, it was the year they would play on Monday night again for the chip.
That was very tough. I took an extended lunch during the game and had to go back to work after and act as if I wasn't too upset.

Bazley canceling is fresh on my mind so I will decline it as recent emotion. But for me, it was when Fab was declared academically ineligible. Still think about what could have been.

Fab was a good 1. Facebook had recently introduced trends and Carmelo Anthony was trending that day because "Melo"

Others include Keith Smart *even though i was 2*, being left out in the tournament in 2007, TJ Sorrentine, Luke Jackson TO

Either Michigan State in 2000 or Vermont in 2005. I toward the latter because we had a good bracket to make a run and we had a shtton of momentum after winning the BET. To have those expectations and come out lose in the first round was such a kick in the nuts.

For me, as with anybody else old enough on this forum, it is clearly the Smart shot as numero uno.

The Fab and Arinze things close behind.

A new big one, not mentioned so far, was losing out on the Marbury and Kenny Anderson recruitments. We were the leaders for Marbury all the way and right there for Kenny. Those two were missing pieces on potential title teams.

Since this is on the hoops board, I will limit it to hoops disappointments.

1) Keith Smart's shot
2) Georgetown ending the long winning streak at Manley
3) Sam Perkins spurning Syracuse for UNC
4) Epic collapse in Hartford in the BET to BC
5) Walter Berry's block of Pearl at the end of the BET championship game in 1986
6) AO's injury in the BET against Gtown in a blowout game

A lot of BET disappointments for me.

AO's injury in the BET against Gtown in a blowout game

Not that it makes it any less disappointing but that game we actually led for a large part of (I think by as much as ten late in the second half) and lost by seven.

Yeah but...Winning the NCAA BB NC is 2003 is a healing salve for all these wounds I've experienced with y'all. We got to the Promised Land. The can't take that away (although they tried). Hallelujah!

March 1987. Absolutely crushing. I watched the game while on a trip to Colorado with a die-hard Indiana fan. I was so distraught that I proposed to my wife that night. Well, I guess some good came out of that experience.

Yeah but...Winning the NCAA BB NC is 2003 is a healing salve for all these wounds I've experienced with y'all. We got to the Promised Land. The can't take that away (although they tried). Hallelujah!

Yes. As much heartbreak as I've experienced or will experience in future with this team I don't see any way it could possibly compare to coming within a second of winning your first national title and then losing on a ridiculous low probability shot. JB has his title now. Nothing could possibly compete now with 1987.

Thank God I was only five.

Was that the same game that Providence started 16-0 or something and we had to stand and clap well after the under-16:00 timeout?

Because that was a VERY underrated frustrating game. That team was so inconsistent.

That team came back from Maui having beaten Bobby Knight's indiana team to go 6-0. Everybody thought we had a great team except Jim Boeheim who warned us that this team was far from that. they stumbled to 15-12 the rest of the way, including a loss to Eastern Michigian in the carrier Classic. The worst was the providence game where they just didn't seem to care.

Fab was a good 1. Facebook had recently introduced trends and Carmelo Anthony was trending that day because "Melo"

Others include Keith Smart *even though i was 2*, being left out in the tournament in 2007, TJ Sorrentine, Luke Jackson TO

Assuming you are talking about the '95 Arkansas game, Lawrence Moten called the time out. Luke Jackson had the ball.

That team came back from Maui having beaten Bobby Knight's indiana team to go 6-0. Everybody thought we had a great team except Jim Boeheim who warned us that this team was far from that. they stumbled to 15-12 the rest of the way, including a loss to Eastern Michigian in the carrier Classic. The worst was the providence game where they just didn't seem to care.

That one sticks out in my memory, for sure.

But there were a few candidates for "worst" that year- the Baron Davis UCLA blowout, getting clubbed at home by West Virginia in one of those weird pre-Christmas Big East games that the league scheduled for a couple years, the Carrier Classic, being the first team to lose in the NCAAs...

SU did win at UConn when they were #1 (though without Hamilton and another starter), and we beat South Carolina by like 45 points, though. Just so inconsistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom