Most disappointing moment as a fan | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Most disappointing moment as a fan

Assuming you are talking about the '95 Arkansas game, Lawrence Moten called the time out. Luke Jackson had the ball.

correct. thank you. brain fart.

1. All those ridiculous calls against us vs Ohio State. Its not even close. Fab wouldn't have made a difference the refs were not going to let us win that one.

2. Getting screwed out of a bid in 2007. I think that team would have done well in the dance.

3. 2010 and 2014 were the best regular seasons we ever had (that I can remember) so I am still utterly disgusted by who ended up winning both those seasons.

1. All those ridiculous calls against us vs Ohio State. Its not even close. Fab wouldn't have made a difference the refs were not going to let us win that one.

2. Getting screwed out of a bid in 2007. I think that team would have done well in the dance.

3. 2010 and 2014 were the best regular seasons we ever had (that I can remember) so I am still utterly disgusted by who ended up winning both those seasons.

I'd say 2012 was the best regular season we've had. 30-1, with the only loss when Fab was suspended the first time.

The big problem against Ohio State was that we were the running team and a foul on them was being called at the beginning of every fast break. They were a half-court team that was used to spending half the game on the line and then starting over again.

87 of course but also thatButler game in 2010. Wretched.

I was too young to be fully invested at the time of Smart’s shot (though at twelve, SU was already my school of choice).

I’d go:
-Winfred Walton fiasco (that was before I understood that one player shouldn’t make or break things)
-moton to
-Vermont awfulness

I was too young to be fully invested at the time of Smart’s shot (though at twelve, SU was already my school of choice).

I’d go:
-Winfred Walton fiasco (that was before I understood that one player shouldn’t make or break things)
-moton to
-Vermont awfulness

respectfully, at 12 i was as fully vested in Cuse sports as possible. im slightly less vested as a 33 yr old.

i was a dream come true for my dad. he knew he would be able to watch or go to every game because i woulrather go to a cuse game than literally anything else.

It's amazing that this is still an issue.

Bernie Fine was fired after this tape became public.
It was a tape that did not even contain his voice.
Syracuse University fired him...without even a fig leaf of due process.
And Bernie Fine never seriously contested the firing (the brief legal case notwithstanding).

That scenario suggests:
1. There was more to this than has ever been made public.
2. Bernie Fine failed to fight for his reputation for a reason.

If the allegations were false it's hard to imagine situation in which someone wouldn't fight...especially someone with the financial resources to wage a fight.

My assumption has always been that Boeheim settled as a matter of nuisance w those grifters.

Bernie never spoke in public because he was wrongfully outed by two grifters, university fired him for essentially sexual orientation and agreed to a lavish settlement with him. The deal was probably enough for Bernie to never have to work again, never have to speak about it again, and vanish into the night.

So Bernie fighting for his reputation may have done more harm than good for him if he's in fact a gay man living in the closet.

Just my speculation but he lawyered up with a major Syracuse firm and i think they did their client well.

My most disappointing moment BY FAR was Arkansas 1995. I was not a fan in 1987 and was a frosh that year. It still stings to this day b/c we had that game in the bag and could have made a run for the final four the way the bracket broke down.

I was only 5 years old in 1987 thank the lord, so for me it's definitely Moten's timeout. I was absolutely devastated.

If I was watching that game at home I would have broke something. Moten went full R word

Some of the other things that people mentioned were awful, but some out of the teams control and some after a hard fought and grueling season.

I’m going with our loss to Dayton in the 25-0 season, that team had talent and we literally fell off a cliff and our final game was one of the most piss poor efforts from the players and coaching staff. It was disappointing most to me because we should’ve been so much better.
That one didn't really surprise me. While we were still undefeated there were a number of concerns about that team that seemed obvious to me, and we finished the season in a slump, losing 5 of our last 7 leading up to the tournament.

For me it will always be '87. I was 10 and just becoming a fan, followed by Richmond, and then '96. '96 doesn't sting quite as much because we had no business hanging with that KU team. That was a great tourney run.

My most disappointing moment BY FAR was Arkansas 1995. I was not a fan in 1987 and was a frosh that year. It still stings to this day b/c we had that game in the bag and could have made a run for the final four the way the bracket broke down.

I believe that was our third straight overtime loss in the tourney. Umass in ‘92 and Missouri in ‘94 were gutwrenching enough, but Arkansas was on a whole different level. They were a great team and we played a great game and had the game won...the lead, the ball after a great steal...the swing of emotions from that steal to realizing what happened with the TO...brutal. That was the worst.

Oh yeah and Arinze. The worst part IMO was lying that he would probably be able to play. Hated the karma.
Yup. I know a lot of us just never thought he'd be out. I guess that's what happens when the school really isn't forced to give info. Honestly what was even his injury? Quad? Knee? ACL? I have no idea.

Some of the other things that people mentioned were awful, but some out of the teams control and some after a hard fought and grueling season.

I’m going with our loss to Dayton in the 25-0 season, that team had talent and we literally fell off a cliff and our final game was one of the most piss poor efforts from the players and coaching staff. It was disappointing most to me because we should’ve been so much better.
Really? With that team's body of work and the way they were slumping into the off-season -- it shouldn't have surprised anyone that they got bounced early. Regression to the mean.

Yup. I know a lot of us just never thought he'd be out. I guess that's what happens when the school really isn't forced to give info. Honestly what was even his injury? Quad? Knee? ACL? I have no idea.

It was a quad injury. I would think a tear considering he missed three tournament games but I’m not sure.

That one didn't really surprise me. While we were still undefeated there were a number of concerns about that team that seemed obvious to me, and we finished the season in a slump, losing 5 of our last 7 leading up to the tournament.

For me it will always be '87. I was 10 and just becoming a fan, followed by Richmond, and then '96. '96 doesn't sting quite as much because we had no business hanging with that KU team. That was a great tourney run.

That's how I've always felt about the 96 title game. Sure it hurts to lose at that stage but I was pretty realistic going into that game. It was a great run and a hell of an effort against a Kentucky team stacked with McDonald's All Americans

It was a quad injury. I would think a tear considering he missed three tournament games but I’m not sure.

Yeah, if I recall he ended up having surgery and he was out a long time from that and wasn’t even ready to start his pro career on time the following season.

That's how I've always felt about the 96 title game. Sure it hurts to lose at that stage but I was pretty realistic going into that game. It was a great run and a hell of an effort against a Kentucky team stacked with McDonald's All Americans

Same. And I also convinced myself that after Burgan’s strong showing in the final four, he would become a Wallace like player as a senior and combined with the incoming class led by Winfred Walton and Rock Lloyd, we’d be back in the title game in 2 years.

smart still smarts. winfred walton academic fiasco and fab melo are self inflicted wounds.

Really? With that team's body of work and the way they were slumping into the off-season -- it shouldn't have surprised anyone that they got bounced early. Regression to the mean.

In 2014 we went from winning close games to losing close games. Our best teams have blown people out. No miracles needed.

Last edited:
respectfully, at 12 i was as fully vested in Cuse sports as possible. im slightly less vested as a 33 yr old.

i was a dream come true for my dad. he knew he would be able to watch or go to every game because i woulrather go to a cuse game than literally anything else.

Nice. The way I see it, Cuse is now wrapped into every life emotion. It’s connected to my mortality. It’s where I safely project my life stresses. When I was 12, it was basketball. At the time it felt bad, but really it was just starting the tiny snowball of fandom that’s been growing for 30+ years since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom