Most Emotional SYRACUSE basketball game??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Most Emotional SYRACUSE basketball game???

Another underrated game for emotional roller coaster was the 06 bet against uconn. Sealing a tourney bid by beating the number one team in the country your hated rival. Pretty sweet.

Aside from the 2003 title game, I'm going with the triple court storming.

Hands down. 1987. I've seen all the other games. We should have had that game. One free throw and the National Championship. Also consider - all the teams back then were totally stacked. All the best players stayed. Which definately is not the case since probably, at least, 2000.

For me, the emotional devastation of 87 will always be greater than the emotional euphoria of 03.

Part of that is that I was a sophomore in 87 so it was closer to home. I saw those players on campus and on M street. They were the same age as I was.

In 03 I felt like we finally got what we deserved.
Competely agree. It was a really awesome feeling to return to the Superdome and get the monkey off the back. Even with the '03 Championship; the '87 game is always a nightmare. Still tough to watch.

Best games.

3 OT Uconn
Virginia comeback
Championship

Worst game ever: " Manley field house is officially closed" Gtown loss last game ever at Manley.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre over St. John's in the Manley Field House dust in, what, 1973?

The 2006 Georgetown semifinal was an underrated emotional roller coaster for me. Down like 15 at halftime, I was fully resigned to the "they gave a great effort for two games, what more can we expect, maybe that's enough to sneak into the tournament" rationalization. The comeback was cautiously surprising, then flat-out exciting. And when McNamara made that amazing pass to Devendorf for the layup, I was just incredulous. That was not one of my favorite groups, but I don't know if I've been any more impressed by a team than I was during that second half. That includes the Virginia rally.

I was too young to be affected by Indiana, so the saddest losses for me were UMass, Arkansas, Vermont, Butler, Ohio State, and Michigan State, more or less in that order.

The first two involved some classic pre-adolescent sports crying.

The first three seared into my brain that surreal flick of a switch from "we're going to win this thing" to "it's over" in a millisecond of game action [in order: Lou Roe's deep three, Lloyd's missed three (even after all the technical stuff, I was sure he was going to hit the shot, just like against GW at Manley earlier in the year), the high back-iron three that dropped by Ronald somebody-or-other (or was it Shelvin Mack?), and "from the parking lot" by Sorrentine].

Ohio State I still think I'm not recovered from. I made the mistake of driving back to Syracuse that night, too, just a wildly depressing five hours. Though at least I didn't find myself at a urinal at a Thruway rest stop next to William Buford's dad, like another friend did that night.

And MSU...that team was going places, the first half and the first couple possessions of the second were not at all surprising to me. The 35-17 run or whatever it was after that, that was surprising. Everyone on Syracuse seemed a little surprised, too, I don't remember any adjustments. Just Allen Griffin making the occasional strong scoring move while his four teammates were bottled up and Morris Peterson scored at will on the other end. I was literally sick after that one, missed school the next day and the next couple days of baseball practice.

Losses seem to me to be more emotional than wins. Losses stick with me, especially those that close out a season (or a Field House).

Georgetown 1980
Indiana 1987
Richmond 1991
Vermont 2004
Navy 1986
Ohio St. 2012
Butler 2010
Arkansas 1995
UMass 1992
Minnesota 1990
Rhode Island 1988

it isn't even close, 1987 and 2003 are at the top of the list, to me the question is what is next. On the positive side, 1996 vs Georgia, on the negative side, 1995 vs Arkansas. too many painful ones, actually. Navy, Rhode Island, Richmond, Vermont, Butler, Ohio State, Illinois.

Another one that was tough to swallow was 2011. Versus marquette was deflated with that lame over and back. oh...and I actually cried hard in 1995 when Moten called that time out vs Arkansas.

This game was...difficult. I always contend if Syracuse doesn't make a run the following year (or Wallace leaves and they don't make the tournament) the Boeheim era could have ended up ALOT different. There was pressure on him at that point that he couldn't win the big one, choker, probation, etc.

1987. It's not even close. After Indiana upset Vegas I thought we were going to do it. Watching the final in person I felt we were way better than them. The 3 point line helped them, but we had way more talent. Even so, we were the underdog. You could feel it coming with the missed FTs. After the game it felt like I lost my brother and felt awful for DC. He dominated in that game. Second, was the Rhode Island loss when Sherm had diarrhea.

Last time I lost my mind while watching a Cuse game... Pitt at SU March 1, 2008. I’ve toned it down since that game. I won’t allow Syracuse to ruin my day/week due to a performance. I did feel the itch during the Ohio State and Duke (charge$?!) games though.

horrible no call at the end of the game which resulted in a tech on Jimmy B. Blew a lead and ensured we were NIT bound.

Last edited:
Worst game ever: " Manley field house is officially closed" Gtown loss last game ever at Manley.

i was a freshman living onThe Mount, Flint Hall, & we trudged down through the cemetery to be at that game. 54-in-a-row, lookin for #55, to close out Manley before heading to the Dome.
Btw- switching games to the Dome was very controversial at the time, students petitioned against it, etc.
So, we’re hyped, ready to go- and Craig “Big Sky” Shelton, & John Duren, names that will
live in infamy, lead those mfking Hoyas to the win. Talk about taking the air out of a balloon? Lol
Wasn’t there for the “proclamation” by Big John Thompson, but when we heard what he said, all I remember feeling was anger. How dare the SOB rub it in like that...and no matter what, we can never, even to this day, get that moment back. He took it, spit in our faces, and walked away laughing. Bastard!
That started it, and that’s why Gtown will forever be our biggest rival. We want to inflict as much PAIN on them as possible, to try and make up for Manley. It’ll never stop. Period.

Two emotional regular season wins - the season finales vs Georgetown in 89 & 90.

In 89 I was still in HS and not yet a CUSE fan, but friends I met as a freshmen told me how emotional it was, especially when Sherman set the all time Assist record.

The game in 90 is the "Where's your dad Ronnie?" game when John Thompson got ejected. We got really lucky when the Georgetown player (named Jefferson?) fouled Billy Owens (or was it Dave Johnson)? for no seeming reason and he sunk the FTs to put the game into OT.

It was extra emotional because I and my 2 buddies slept overnight in a car on Mount Olympus because the dorms closed for Spring Break on Saturday - game was Sunday afternoon. Couldn't afford a hotel and didn't really know anyone living off campus. We woke up with a sheet of ice encasing the car and couldn't get out until we turned the car on and it warmed up. Good times!

Another emotional win was the ACC-Big East Challenge where we beat Duke in '89 when Billy found DJ under the hoop at the last second. Game was in Greensboro IIRC - who would have guessed we'd be playing there on a regular basis 2 decades later.

And one very personal one. When we beat ND in South Bend in 2003, it was at the end of the shiva for my mom who had just passed away from Lung Cancer. I needed to take a break from all the family and people crowding our apartment. So I snuck into my parents room and watched the game on a tiny TV and was in tears by the end of the game - my Mom had become such a huge Cuse fan.

Even though it was a loss, GMAC's last game in the Dome was super-emotional as well.

On the loss side, Richmond '91 was really tough, being the first 2 seed to lose in the tourney and I was a soph - my friend literally destroyed 2 chairs in our dorm during the game by kicking through the seat. Butler & Vermont obviously. Arkansas was really tough. Ohio State and Michigan too. UK in 96 didn't bother me that much as that team had overachieved and it was miraculous we even stayed on the court with that UK team which had 7-8 pros.

And the weirdest feel? The night we played UConn in the Dome in 91 and the PA announcer announced that the US had just launched Operation Desert Storm in the middle of the game.

I am surprised no one brought up the first game after Lockerbie. I know it was not an important game, but I can't imagine the emotions in the Dome that night.

Two emotional regular season wins - the season finales vs Georgetown in 89 & 90.

In 89 I was still in HS and not yet a CUSE fan, but friends I met as a freshmen told me how emotional it was, especially when Sherman set the all time Assist record.

The game in 90 is the "Where's your dad Ronnie?" game when John Thompson got ejected. We got really lucky when the Georgetown player (named Jefferson?) fouled Billy Owens (or was it Dave Johnson)? for no seeming reason and he sunk the FTs to put the game into OT.

It was extra emotional because I and my 2 buddies slept overnight in a car on Mount Olympus because the dorms closed for Spring Break on Saturday - game was Sunday afternoon. Couldn't afford a hotel and didn't really know anyone living off campus. We woke up with a sheet of ice encasing the car and couldn't get out until we turned the car on and it warmed up. Good times!

Another emotional win was the ACC-Big East Challenge where we beat Duke in '89 when Billy found DJ under the hoop at the last second. Game was in Greensboro IIRC - who would have guessed we'd be playing there on a regular basis 2 decades later.

And one very personal one. When we beat ND in South Bend in 2003, it was at the end of the shiva for my mom who had just passed away from Lung Cancer. I needed to take a break from all the family and people crowding our apartment. So I snuck into my parents room and watched the game on a tiny TV and was in tears by the end of the game - my Mom had become such a huge Cuse fan.

Even though it was a loss, GMAC's last game in the Dome was super-emotional as well.

On the loss side, Richmond '91 was really tough, being the first 2 seed to lose in the tourney and I was a soph - my friend literally destroyed 2 chairs in our dorm during the game by kicking through the seat. Butler & Vermont obviously. Arkansas was really tough. Ohio State and Michigan too. UK in 96 didn't bother me that much as that team had overachieved and it was miraculous we even stayed on the court with that UK team which had 7-8 pros.

And the weirdest feel? The night we played UConn in the Dome in 91 and the PA announcer announced that the US had just launched Operation Desert Storm in the middle of the game.

I am surprised no one brought up the first game after Lockerbie. I know it was not an important game, but I can't imagine the emotions in the Dome that night.

You have a pretty solid memory. Sam Jefferson fouled BIlly Owens for no apparent reason.

The first games that came to mind were the 6ot game and the title. But thinking about it more the Pitt game in the Dome back on 03 has to be it because of the three it was the only one I was there for in person.

Great post. Lot of really evocative memories in there. You're right about the Lockerbie game. That was a weird atmosphere. I was very young, but that stuck with me.

Most emotional (positive) games I have been to in person:

4) '99-00 UConn at the Dome en route to 19-0
3) 2003 Pitt in the Dome
2) 6 OT game vs. UConn at MSG
1) 2003 National Title Game in N.O.

Most emotional (positive) games I have watched on TV:

3) '12 Tournament vs. Wisconsin - watched in NYC bar, was going ballistic
2) '96 Tournament vs. Kansas (did not watch GA game live - had baseball practice)
1) '16 Tournament vs. Virginia - Easter Sunday watching with my family, went absolutely bonkers

Most emotional (negative) games I have been to in person:

3) '16 Barclays Center vs. South Carolina - was excited for that team, was there in person and they laid an absolute dud - sign of things to come
2) '19 Barclays Center vs. Penn State - laid another egg and lost to a team we should not have lost to.
1) '04 Tournament vs. Alabama in AZ - flew out with my college roommate, excited to beat Alabama and a chance to face UConn for the right to go to the Final Four and we got beat - trip was booked for the entire weekend, made it a depressing next few days

Most emotional (negative) games I have watched on TV:

4) '10 Tournament vs. Butler - Should have beaten them - that team had a shot to win even without Arinze.
3) '00 Tournament vs. Michigan State - Had them. Still makes me sick
2) '05 Tournament vs. Vermont - Disgusting.
1) '12 Tournament vs. Ohio State - That team had a shot to win the title without Fab. Got jobbed. Still upset about that one.

Great post. Lot of really evocative memories in there. You're right about the Lockerbie game. That was a weird atmosphere. I was very young, but that stuck with me.

there was talk of cancelling the Lockerbie game right ? Didn’t Boeheim convince the school to play it? Joan Deppa of Newhouse wrote a book on the media’s impact of Lockerbie and I thought it was in there

there was talk of cancelling the Lockerbie game right ? Didn’t Boeheim convince the school to play it? Joan Deppa of Newhouse wrote a book on the media’s impact of Lockerbie and I thought it was in there

I hadn't heard that, I don't know. Mel Eggers was very remorseful that he allowed the game to be played, I remember that, and it was a kind of questionable decision. My dad was a professor and one of his students was on that plane.

Whats the most emotional game that you've watched? Either have you screaming, crying, exceptionally happy? Most thrilling for me is probably 1996 Sweet Sixteen vs georgia !
I am going to go with back to back games in the 2000 tournament.
Shump's shot to beat Kentucky and then up 15? in MSU loss. Just thinking outside the aforementioned obvious ones.

Disappointing: 2012 vs OSU
Good: UVA and Zaga in 2016, we were not supposed to win those games.

sad: 87
Happy: 03, 96 win to go to final four
overall emotion: Gerry's senior ceremony hugging his mom crying on the court.