Mostly OT: reviewing plays and interruptions | Syracusefan.com

Mostly OT: reviewing plays and interruptions

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Watching the end of the game last night was a stark contrast to the Super Bowl. Ironically, I was asking myself several times watching the game Sunday why the officials were not even bothering to measure 3rd and inches several times. But in general, it was so refreshing to watch a game without reviews from the booth every 5 minutes. College basketball and college football need to figure this out and clean it up, desperately.

I thought review worked perfect last night - A) they corrected the calls and B) it didn't take all night.

Stripes use it as a crutch and in fact are instructed to do just that, and it can ruin a game but last night I thought it worked as it was designed.

I say it all the time but the parlay of a clearly wrong call being corrected and making the difference in the outcome and being just (everything else in the game was fair)...is way more rare than people think. Like a .5% shot. If you don't check all those boxes who cares. Not worth it.

Watching the end of the game last night was a stark contrast to the Super Bowl. Ironically, I was asking myself several times watching the game Sunday why the officials were not even bothering to measure 3rd and inches several times. But in general, it was so refreshing to watch a game without reviews from the booth every 5 minutes. College basketball and college football need to figure this out and clean it up, desperately.
When I don’t have a rooting interest, I dislike most reviews. When I have a rooting interest, I like video review and last night is Exhibit A. And when it’s the game before Syracuse on tv, I hate the reviews.

I say it all the time but the parlay of a clearly wrong call being corrected and making the difference in the outcome and being just (everything else in the game was fair)...is way more rare than people think. Like a .5% shot. If you don't check all those boxes who cares. Not worth it.
Think back to the 80s and 90s, sure there were some missed calls, but without the horde of replay cameras who really knew?

The flow of the game is much more important. If the replay booth is here to stay, at least put a clock on it. 30 seconds for any play not involving a score or change of possession. 60 seconds for the latter. If you can't overturn a call within that time, then the evidence was not clear enough and the play stands. Seems pretty simple. Or get rid of the replay booth and bring back the coach's challenge like the NFL.

Think back to the 80s and 90s, sure there were some missed calls, but without the horde of replay cameras who really knew?

The flow of the game is much more important. If the replay booth is here to stay, at least put a clock on it. 30 seconds for any play not involving a score or change of possession. 60 seconds for the latter. If you can't overturn a call within that time, then the evidence was not clear enough and the play stands. Seems pretty simple. Or get rid of the replay booth and bring back the coach's challenge like the NFL.
There's also the unintended consequences part of it. Guy comes crashing down from behind on a rebound, makes some contact, ball grazes off fingernail of the guy with position. For a hundred years nobody ever complained about giving the ball to Team B. Now we stop and look but only at 2:00. It's stupid.

the reviews, the time outs, and the fouls were insane last night. the last 4 min must have been 45 min of real time.

UNC had 7 intentional (on purpose not flagrant) fouls from 1:21 to 0:33. Then the flagrant on Bacot. and then another 'on purpose foul' after that. So 9 total fouls in 1:21! That honestly could be a record. There were at least 3 or 4 reviews in the last 2:03 and 2 UNC called time outs!

edit - just found another foul with 1:36 left on Ryan... so UNC had 10 fouls in 1:36!

All the fouling would stop if there wasn’t a perceived benefit for the losing team. Think about football penalties.

Why not give the winning team the choice to shoot foul shots or restart possession from the spot of the foul with a full reset of the shot clock? Force defenses to actually play defense.

At the time the game was winding down. I was proud of myself for only having one drink last night. Through blurred vision I watched the kids storm the court.

My understanding is that the ball in the NFL has a chip and the only reason they bring on the chain gang is for drama. They know if its a first down and relay it to the refs cause there is no way they can tell in that scrum where the ball is located/progressed.

All the fouling would stop if there wasn’t a perceived benefit for the losing team. Think about football penalties.

Why not give the winning team the choice to shoot foul shots or restart possession from the spot of the foul with a full reset of the shot clock? Force defenses to actually play defense.
They tried that give the team the ball instead of fouls thing years ago. If teams just take the ball then they can play as hard as they want and not every foul will get called and eventually, they get a steal. The real answer is 2 shots and the ball down the stretch to make teams play D and not just foul and try to go 3 for 2 the last 2 min.

I mean SU missed like 5-6 fts down the stretch and thats on them, but the reward for fouling late is too high.

Sounds like you want the ELAM ENDING

really we have the 1-1 rule and then 2 shot rule. But once you commit more than 2-3-4 fouls in the last 2 min they need something else to kick in. if nothing else make it 3 shots.

If a team has 3 fouls in a half, then they foul 4 times to get to the 1-1 and 2 more times before it gets to 2 shots and that can be in less than a minute.

once you get to 2 shots inside of 2 min or so then all fouls are 3 shots. You shouldnt be able to get rewarded by fouling over and over.

My understanding is that the ball in the NFL has a chip and the only reason they bring on the chain gang is for drama. They know if its a first down and relay it to the refs cause there is no way they can tell in that scrum where the ball is located/progressed.
i thought it was a union thing. chip would be 1000% quicker and more accurate. think of did the ball cross the end zone ? where did the punt go out of bounds ? the technology is there and chains actually c'mon...guessing game.

Sounds like you want the ELAM ENDING

I do!

But even without that, there is such an easy fix. Have an official in a replay booth somewhere, just to watch replays and make a quick ruling. Making the officials on the court conference with each other, then walk to the scorers table, do the replay themselves, conference with each coach, then start the game back up is stupid. There is a better way.

UNC had 7 intentional (on purpose not flagrant) fouls from 1:21 to 0:33. Then the flagrant on Bacot. and then another 'on purpose foul' after that. So 9 total fouls in 1:21! That honestly could be a record. There were at least 3 or 4 reviews in the last 2:03 and 2 UNC called time outs!

edit - just found another foul with 1:36 left on Ryan... so UNC had 10 fouls in 1:36!

i thought it was a union thing. chip would be 1000% quicker and more accurate. think of did the ball cross the end zone ? where did the punt go out of bounds ? the technology is there and chains actually c'mon...guessing game.

The chip is able to guarantee accuracy within ten inches - it’s good enough to eliminate the need in most cases, but the technological limitations are the main reason measurements are still used.

You hit on the exact reason replay became a thing, and isn’t going anywhere. Once TVs were high def and huge, and replays became more common, people became aware of just how terrible officiating is. The genie is out of the bottle now, there’s no putting it back in.

And honestly, if last night was a loss because they decided to skip replays to make sure “flow of the game” was better - I’m not sure how that would be a better product either last night or in the long run.

There were multiple reviews. Almost all the calls would not have helped Syracuse had they not been reviewed. A couple other sketchy calls earlier that never got a replay as well.

the reviews, the time outs, and the fouls were insane last night. the last 4 min must have been 45 min of real time.
This is why I HATE the last two minutes of college basketball games. I know it worked in our favor, but why are calls and time so important ONLY in the last two minutes of a game and not any time else throughout the game. Gotta do something to fix this asap. Also how the one ref missed the call where the ball went off the UNC player and not Q was pretty bad. The refs were pretty bad last night and hope never see that crew again.

There were multiple reviews. Almost all the calls would not have helped Syracuse had they not been reviewed. A couple other sketchy calls earlier that never got a replay as well.
It seemed like the refs made every close call to benefit UNC. Every one.

Some weren’t even close. What the help was going in?

I swear they just wanted to give the Tar Heels everything rather than actually do their jobs and watch closely what was happening in the court.

It was pathetic. They got almost everything wrong.

It seemed like the refs made every close call to benefit UNC. Every one.

Some weren’t even close. What the help was going in?

I swear they just wanted to give the Tar Heels everything rather than actually do their jobs and watch closely what was happening in the court.

It was pathetic. They got almost everything wrong.
Actually, at the end of the game, they did get everything wrong. And it was right in front of them almost every time. Not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom