Movies to watch during lockdown? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Movies to watch during lockdown?

Watched Midsommar last night. Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. A 24 makes bad movies.

Blow is fantastic. Easily my favorite Johnny Depp movie.

Also, if you can find it, The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg is one of my all-time favorites.

I randomly watched the entire second half of Bloodsport yesterday.

I feel like they needed someone more menacing and intimidating to play Chung Li's manager, as opposed to a friendly looking young Asian kid in a sweatshirt.

We watched Dangerous Lies on Netflix. It was unremarkable in every way, but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Mrs. and I just watched a fun Canadian miniseries called The Indian Detective. Surprisingly entertaining story, some decent humor. If you're familiar with the comedian Russell Peters, it's all him. Four short episodes so it's basically a movie. Also, the female lead is stunning. I fully endorse it as brainless tv watching.

Blow is fantastic. Easily my favorite Johnny Depp movie.

Also, if you can find it, The Gambler with Mark Wahlberg is one of my all-time favorites.
Just watched a trailer - looks Great! Searched my Verizon FIOS & see that I can rent for $2.99. Will do! Thanks!

Also starting watching Blacklist with James Spader. netflix.
For you WWII buffs, I know I had already mentioned WWII in Colour.

WWII in HD...the war from an American perspective. Some of the footage is really graphic.

Greatest Event of WWII - focuses on the some of the most important events of WWII..mostly important battles such as Pearl Harbor, Stalingrad, Midway & D-Day but then also other events such as the Dresden bombing and the liberation of Buchenwald

For you WWII buffs, I know I had already mentioned WWII in Colour.

WWII in HD...the war from an American perspective. Some of the footage is really graphic.

Greatest Event of WWII - focuses on the some of the most important events of WWII..mostly important battles such as Pearl Harbor, Stalingrad, Midway & D-Day but then also other events such as the Dresden bombing and the liberation of Buchenwald
Downfall is also a great WW2 movie

I'm looking forward to watching The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime tonight. I've heard great things.

Recently rewatched Toy Soldiers, one of my absolute favorite movies as a kid.

1590780139167.png

I'm looking forward to watching The Vast of Night on Amazon Prime tonight. I've heard great things.
So...

It's great.

You don't need to know anything going into it. One of the best shot movies I've ever seen. Long shots galore. Completely transports you back 60 years. Incredible storytelling. Great slow build. There's an amazing change of perspective at one point that's just chilling. I haven't liked a movie this much in a long time.

There is really only 1 correct movie franchise here guys... lost a lot of respect for some of your guys, lol.

Ok sarcasm aside, here's my list:

Glory
Ferris Beuler's Day OFF
Breakfast Club
Coming to America
Beverly Hills cop
Jurrasaic Park
Ghostbusters
City Slickers
Home Alone
Running Scared
The Gods must be Crazy
Cool Runnings
War Games
Weekend at Bernies
Bowfinger
The Usual Suspects
Truman Show
Ace Ventura
Blue Chips
Spaceballs
The princess bride
Big
Major League
Big Daddy (love all the Syracuse References)
Shawshank
The Sandlot
Matrix
Big Lebowski
Tommy Boy
True Lies
Mrs. Doubtfire
Jumanji
Independence day
Men in Black
Twister
The perfect Storm
Good Will Hunting
a bunch of James Bond movies
Indiana Jones'
Forrest Gump
Star Wars (originals)
Clear and Present Danger
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
The Fugitive
Up
ET
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
What About Bob
Knives Out
Hunger Games
Roger Rabbit
Shrek
Waynes World
Wedding Crashers
Old School
Dodgeball
Night at The museum
Grownups
Gangs of NY
Catch me if you can
The Bourne Identity
Road to Perdition
Lord of the Rings
Sideways
(I watch too many movies)

Last edited:
I can never not watch Good Will Hunting when I happen upon it while channel surfing.
On a bit of a tangent--a real life Will Hunting (at least from the math genius angle). Boston connection--did her undergrad at BC.

Lawrence of Arabia was such a great film - David Lean directed, right?
I even went and got the PBS documentary about the historical T.S. Lawrence.
Quite an interesting time in history. It could have turned out so much better.
Did the doc feature John Maynard Keynes? He was reported to have constructed a plan for post-WWI Europe that would have avoided many of the errors made in the 20's-early 30's, and thus might have prevented WWII.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The Hunt for Red October. I think still the best Clancy/Jack Ryan of the bunch. Although I haven't seen the Krasinski version.

An interesting double feature, if you have more than 4 hours for a single sitting--Yanks, then Saving Private Ryan. Made 20 years apart, but the first flows into the second beautifully.

Lots of great titles mentioned. Kudos to those who listed Stalag 17, Memento, and Duck Soup, although since this is a university athletic forum, Horsefeathers might have been more appropriate.
My favorities include:
Casablanca
Harvey
The Philadelphia Story
S.O.B. (Blake Edwards)
Throne of Blood (Kurosawa's version of MacBeth)
Ran (Kurosawa's adaptation of King Lear)
Amacord
Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Fantasia
My Darling Clementine
The Maltese Falcon
The Thin Man
To Kill a Mockingbird

Additionally, there are some BBC/ITV series that are well worth binging. Shetland may be the best police procedural out there, and Death in Paradise and Brokenwood Mysteries are both entertaining. Brokenwood Mysteries (from New Zealand) may have some of the best dialogue on TV.

Additionally, if you're running out of source material, check to see if your library offers Hoopla. Lots of stuff there you won't find elsewhere, and it's free. I just borrowed Buster Keaton's Sherlock, Jr., and I am in the process of rewatching Ken Burns' Jazz series.

Lastly, if you liked The Magnificent Seven or A Fist Full of Dollars, consider the originals: The Seven Samarai and Yojimbo.

Last edited:
Lots of great titles mentioned. Kudos to those who listed Stalag 17, Memento, and Duck Soup, although since this is a university athletic forum, Horsefeathers might have been more appropriate.
My favorities include:
Casablanca
Harvey
The Philadelphia Story
S.O.B. (Blake Edwards)
Throne of Blood (Kurosawa's version of MacBeth)
Ran (Kurosawa's adaptation of King Lear)
Amacord
Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie
Fantasia
My Darling Clementine
The Maltese Falcon
The Thin Man
To Kill a Mockingbird

Additionally, there are some BBC/ITV series that are well worth binging. Shetland may be the best police procedural out there, and Death in Paradise and Brokenwood Mysteries are both entertaining. Brokenwood Mysteries (from New Zealand) may have some of the best dialogue on TV.

Additionally, if you're running out of source material, check to see if your library offers Hoopla. Lots of stuff there you won't find elsewhere, and it's free. I just borrowed Buster Keaton's Sherlock, Jr., and I am in the process of rewatching Ken Burns' Jazz series.

Lastly, if you liked The Magnificent Seven or A Fist Full of Dollars, consider the originals: The Seven Samarai and Yojimbo.
Re: BBC miniseries--

Season One of "World on Fire" just concluded on PBS (Masterpiece). After they screened the first season, they not only bought it, they signed up for the second season and asked to co-produce. It is very good.

The first season covered mid-1939 to mid-1940, and takes place in Warsaw, Berlin, Paris and Manchester, in addition to various battlefields; and ended before Hitler attacked the USSR, and of course well before the US got involved.

My daughter was able to tape "Once Upon a Time ... In Hollywood" on demand.
Curious whether others out there like it as much as I did.
It was 2 hours of nothing to get to the end, which was something.

Overrated in my opinion. Awfully boring just to reach a 10 minute climax.

I'm surprised no one mentioned The Hunt for Red October. I think still the best Clancy/Jack Ryan of the bunch. Although I haven't seen the Krasinski version.

An interesting double feature, if you have more than 4 hours for a single sitting--Yanks, then Saving Private Ryan. Made 20 years apart, but the first flows into the second beautifully.
I thought clear and present danger was the best Jack Ryan movie but Hunt was good.

It was 2 hours of nothing to get to the end, which was something.

Overrated in my opinion. Awfully boring just to reach a 10 minute climax.
I watched it over 2 flights. I looked forward to the second trip so I could finish it up. Was entertained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom