Moving forward how does Silver react when players | Syracusefan.com

Moving forward how does Silver react when players

retro44

Living Legend
drop the "N" word during a game.

After all the game is played in front of many thousands of fans and on T.V.

I know there are people out there that find the word very offensive no matter how it is used.

It could get very interesting if someone decides to Push Silvers buttons at some point over the use of the word.

drop the "N" word during a game.

After all the game is played in front of many thousands of fans and on T.V.

I know there are people out there that find the word very offensive no matter how it is used.

It could get very interesting if someone decides to Push Silvers buttons at some point over the use of the word.

I'm sure it's headed the way to ban the word and fine people who use it.
NFL is penalizing players this year.

I'm sure it's headed the way to ban the word and fine people who use it.
NFL is penalizing players this year.

Didn't they decide NOT to penalize for using it [in large part because it would be difficult to ascertain who said it amongst a crowd of players, and because many players expressed that using it was a normal part of trash talk]?

retro44 said:
drop the "N" word during a game. After all the game is played in front of many thousands of fans and on T.V. I know there are people out there that find the word very offensive no matter how it is used. It could get very interesting if someone decides to Push Silvers buttons at some point over the use of the word.

More interesting is that the word is used HEAVILY by fans at games, but the media rarely acknowledges it, and many people would have you believe racism isn't really a big deal anymore.

But you know, anything to deflect attention away from the billionaire racist onto theoretical exercises.

More interesting is that the word is used HEAVILY by fans at games, but the media rarely acknowledges it, and many people would have you believe racism isn't really a big deal anymore.

But you know, anything to deflect attention away from the billionaire racist onto theoretical exercises.
I think if all this happening is about a billionaire racist, and not racism in general, an incredible opportunity for meaningful change has been wasted.

Went to a Nats game last season where 4 African American men sat behind my son and me. They must've called Denard Span that word about 25 times. Good luck complaining to anyone while I had to explain it away to the kid.

Bayside44 said:
Went to a Nats game last season where 4 African American men sat behind my son and me. They must've called Denard Span that word about 25 times. Good luck complaining to anyone while I had to explain it away to the kid.

Might not want to bring your son to an SU-NC State hoops game in Raleigh anytime soon then. ;)

wasn't there a congressman saying that the only way you would know the NBA was to go bankrupt was by the crime rates going up.?

someone mentioned that on a sports talk show yesterday.

You just linked the same exact quote from Jeff Fisher with a different headline:

During a conference call with the media Wednesday, committee chair Rich McKay and committee member Jeff Fisher emphasized that officials can flag players for obscene comments under the current rules.
“As we mentioned earlier, we have the current rule — unsportsmanlike conduct — Rule 12, Section
3,” Fisher said. “It states that, ‘Using abusive, threatening or insulting language, or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials or representatives of the league is unsportsmanlike conduct.’

“The N-word would fall under that category. The officials will be empowered to call a foul if there are racial slurs or statements regarding another player’s sexual orientation, or even bating and insulting with verbal abuse. It falls under that. It is going to be a very significant point of emphasis.”

You just linked the same exact quote from Jeff Fisher with a different headline:

During a conference call with the media Wednesday, committee chair Rich McKay and committee member Jeff Fisher emphasized that officials can flag players for obscene comments under the current rules.
“As we mentioned earlier, we have the current rule — unsportsmanlike conduct — Rule 12, Section
3,” Fisher said. “It states that, ‘Using abusive, threatening or insulting language, or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials or representatives of the league is unsportsmanlike conduct.’

“The N-word would fall under that category. The officials will be empowered to call a foul if there are racial slurs or statements regarding another player’s s e x ual orientation, or even bating and insulting with verbal abuse. It falls under that. It is going to be a very significant point of emphasis.”

No, that was merely the background context outlining the rationale behind the rule change being considered. You missed this part at the beginning, published 5 days after your article:

"The NFL Competition Committee will put 13 rule proposals on the table at next week’s league meetings. Not included among them is any further crackdown on the n-word or any other abusive language during games."

No, that was the background context. You missed this part at the beginning, published 5 days after your article:

"The NFL Competition Committee will put 13 rule proposals on the table at next week’s league meetings. Not included among them is any further crackdown on the n-word or any other abusive language during games."

Yep, any further crackdown other than what Jeff Fisher said.
It's ok. We'll agree to disagree and we'll see if any "N" related penalties are called this year.

Yep, any further crackdown other than what Jeff Fisher said.
It's ok. We'll agree to disagree and we'll see if any "N" related penalties are called this year.

I'm not sure what there is to disagree about. They proposed a rule whereby players would be penalized for any use of the N word. The rules committee--for a variety of reasons, including many players not supporting this change--decided not to move forward with that rule change, as I pointed out.

What Jeff Fischer is talking about is the prospect of applying an existing rule for unsportsmanlike penalties being called for abusive language, defined broadly. It indeed will be interesting to see whether they actually throw any flags for bad language, or whether they continue to only throw the flag if on-field banter escalates into more physical dead ball altercations like always. As someone who has attended a ton of NFL games--and for anyone who hears banter on the field via those parabolic mikes--there is a lot of cursing and trash talking happening on the field every play. Enforcement of such a vague interpretation on a play-to-play basis would be difficult, at best, and realistically damn near impossible.

Not saying that it won't change in the future; I make no predictions on that. I'm just pointing out that the proposed rule didn't move forward.

What Jeff Fischer is talking about is for unsportsmanlike penalties being called for abusive language.

"We have the current rule,'' Fisher said. " ... The N-word would fall under that category.

Not sure why it's so difficult that we can't just agree to disagree.

"We have the current rule,'' Fisher said. " ... The N-word would fall under that category.

Not sure why it's so difficult that we can't just agree to disagree.

"Not included among them is any further crackdown on the n-word or any other abusive language during games."

Seems pretty dichotomous, doesn't it?

Might not want to bring your son to an SU-NC State hoops game in Raleigh anytime soon then. ;)

Ha - in Greensboro a State alum (older) complained to security about the foul mouths of some younger Wolf Packers. It was pretty funny.

Bayside44 said:
Ha - in Greensboro a State alum (older) complained to security about the foul mouths of some younger Wolf Packers. It was pretty funny.

I'm sure Kueth Duany would've found that amusing.

I'm sure Kueth Duany would've found that amusing.

Refresh my memory: that was the game we beat them down there [Jeremy McNeil's freshman year?], one year after we lost to them at home in a Bernie Fine coached debacle?

RF2044 said:
Refresh my memory: that was the game we beat them down there [Jeremy McNeil's freshman year?], one year after we lost to them at home in a Bernie Fine coached debacle?

Sounds right.

Was the game he was subjected to deplorable racial taunting.

Silver is in a tough spot. He HAD to do what he did. But he's in a corner now.

That footprint was set for Silver, all he had to do is step inside it. Almost a magical moment , he has earned 5 years of benefit of doubts with his role yesterday.

Silver did what he had to and it worked wonders. That being said, I think Sterling is going to F him up in court. Sterling still rubs elbows with some pretty powerful people, has a group of litigation ninjas on his side and, this is what should scare the NBA, he hasn't said one word since this happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom