Moyer | Syracusefan.com

Moyer

DeGrozz

All American
After a rough first half, I was really happy to see him make a few plays at the end there. In the last minute he grabbed a loose ball, hit the front-end of a 1-and-1, and had a nice strip underneath the hoop with under 10 to play.

He needs to pull his head out of his butt and I have to say our guards in general do. I understand Howard is sick but they need to be unreal to beat Michigan State

I am so happy this is what we are writing! I was afraid to open the thread. One of the announcers was very understanding of his situation. We are going to NEED him. I did see that flash of Boeheim talking to him on the bench and Matt nodding his head. Coach was keeping his head in the game and it was good to see.

He needs to pull his head out of his butt and I have to say our guards in general do. I understand Howard is sick but they need to be unreal to beat Michigan State
He wants to contribute so bad that he doesn’t do his job. He needs to remember the UCONN game where he got dump off and put backs. That is his game. Putting it on the floor doesn’t help this team. He isn’t good at it.

I am so happy this is what we are writing! I was afraid to open the thread. One of the announcers was very understanding of his situation. We are going to NEED him. I did see that flash of Boeheim talking to him on the bench and Matt nodding his head. Coach was keeping his head in the game and it was good to see.

I saw boeheim spend a lot of time talking and teaching with him on the bench. Matt’s a smart kid and a good student of the game. He tries too hard and needs to let it come to him. When he settled down his defense was a lot better.

Horrific first half. I was convinced that he wouldn't get up off the bench again, and of course only got reinserted after Dolezaj fouled out.

Then, his first trip up the floor, he got the ball on the baseline and didn't convert -- and I thought, uh oh. But he hung in there, got a rebound or two, forced a steal, hustled, and hit that FT. Maybe that's what he needed to settle down, just some positive contributions. We're going to need him Sunday, so hopefully this was a positive developmental step for him.

Kid is a freshman eligibility wise and I feel like myself along with 90% of cuse fans take that for granted. He needed those minutes. No time to think when the game is on the line in that type of situation. Went out and played his game. Got after it defensively and on the boards and was rewarded with some nice plays that don’t necessarily show up in the box. Gritty. Love it. Especially after those horrendous turnovers. Glad to see he got another chance and handled his business. That’s how you grow in this program. Baby steps.

Moyer runs tentatively. His body language language says "I hope I don't screw up." I remember thinking "Not quite ready for prime time," when he was in earlier. I also had the thought, "This is what happens when you get no PT during the season." But he was good enough down the stretch, as mentioned in several posts above, and hopefully this builds some confidence for him.

Always such a motivating poster. You must have coached at a high level at some point.

So the positive posts are high level coaches making observations?

Moyer looked great? Good? Passable? No, he looked awful.

Closing out on a shooter and hiting one of two from the line are positives mentioned in this thread about his game.

That should tell us enough.

I don't disagree the kid is nowhere near the level we need given our depth issues. He over thinks everything, and no doubt is more talented than his game reflects. He has some of the same mental yips Frank did and still does at times.

With that said, his fresh legs, hustle and defense in the last few minutes were pivotal. That close out was a small thing, but also the exact type of 3 we have seen teams beat us with all season in conference play.

For all of us who have played competitive sports , and had high expectations, it can be difficult to get out of our own heads, especially at that age and to the point motivation is lost. Moyer has been resilient and did some little things that we couldn't win without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom