MSOC 2014 NCAA Tournament 11/23/14 SU vs PSU 2:00 @Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MSOC 2014 NCAA Tournament 11/23/14 SU vs PSU 2:00 @Cuse

Yea and ND is the 1 and we're the 9? Look at their record with 4 losses and 4 ties. They beat us in a hard fought battle but they lost in the ACC semis too. And their the 1? Looks like college soccer is crooked.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but that's the NCAA for you. Everything about it is crooked.

I'm not purposely trying to beat a dead horse here but as a commenter on syracuse dot com just said, how do you lose a tight game to a tourney team and drop from #1 to 9?

I must be missing something cuz apparently no one is surprised or upset by this. Must be a soccer thing

We were only #1 in one poll. Were much lower in the RPI (somewhere around 7th), so the #9 overall seed makes sense. That website that had us at 14 was insane though.

And not only did McIntyre coach at Hartwick, he was an All-American and led Hartwick to its last Sweet 16 appearance in 1995. Go 'Wick

Yea and ND is the 1 and we're the 9? Look at their record with 4 losses and 4 ties. They beat us in a hard fought battle but they lost in the ACC semis too. And their the 1? Looks like college soccer is crooked.
Come on - they are just trying to prepare the kids for FIFA.

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 3m3 minutes ago
No. 1 Syracuse MSOC receives the No. 9 seed & 1st round bye in the NCAA tournament. SU will host either Hartwick or Penn St. on Sunday at 2.

NKR1978 said:
We were only #1 in one poll. Were much lower in the RPI (somewhere around 7th), so the #9 overall seed makes sense. That website that had us at 14 was insane though. And not only did McIntyre coach at Hartwick, he was an All-American and led Hartwick to its last Sweet 16 appearance in 1995. Go 'Wick

Coaches poll right? What were we in any others the ncaa might use? What were the teams that got 1-8? How does nd get the 1? It's a joke, thee is no data that would put us as a 9. Look at our record vs 1-8 records.

NKR1978 said:
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1/ncaa-mens-soccer-rpi 3. Notre Dame 12. Syracuse Our major wins were against #11 Clemson and #13 Virginia.

That's one data point. I never remember the top 4 rpi basketball teams being the top 4 seeds. Another data point is SU being #1. It's not nd being higher than SU, I expected that. But to be ranked #1 and get
seeded 9 seems extreme. I was guessing 5-6.

That's one data point. I never remember the top 4 rpi basketball teams being the top 4 seeds. Another data point is SU being #1. It's not nd being higher than SU, I expected that. But to be ranked #1 and get
seeded 9 seems extreme. I was guessing 5-6.

Our schedule was pretty weak and we only have two good wins. Plus, the ACC overall wasn't as strong as it usually is - our RPI's seem a bit inflated since there aren't that many good out of conference wins for any ACC team.

No idea how ND is #1, but #9 is a pretty momentous feat for this program. It's only the 3rd NCAA appearance in SU's history so maybe that has something to do with it. This has been a great season for SU, and I think McIntyre is just scratching the surface of SU's potential. If a school like Hartwick can go to 7 D1 Final Fours and win an NCAA Championship, there's no reason that Syracuse, with its resources, can't be a major factor in the sport.

passthru_imagecredit_Nanco_ChrisCornell2014.jpg

Men's Soccer | 11/17/2014 3:45:00 PM |
Corner Kicks Notebook #12
News and notes from Week 12 of the SU men's soccer season

HALIS LEADING THE CHARGE
In Syracuse's last two matches, Alex Halis has scored two of Syracuse's three total goals, including the game winning goal in the ACC Championship quarterfinal against Duke. Halis had struggled to score early in the season, scoring just once in the first 16 matches of 2014 after finishing 2013 second on the team in scoring. As of late, he has carried the Orange offensively, and been one of the most threatening attacking forwards on the field.

ACC'S FINEST
Head coach Ian McIntyre along with goalkeeper Alex Bono, Emil Ekblom, Skylar Thomas and Julian Buescher were honored by the ACC for their efforts in 2014. McIntyre was named ACC coach of the year after leading the Orange to an impressive 14-2-1 regular season record and a No. 1 ranking in the NSCAA Coache's Poll. Bono was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, setting a Syracuse record with 12 shutouts and a .46 goals against average. Ekblom was named to the All-ACC first team after leading the Orange with seven goals, including six in the first 10 matches of the season. Thomas and Buescher were each named to the All-ACC second team. Thomas has three goals on the season including game winners against Virginia and Boston College. Buescher has three assists and is a creative facilitator in the middle of the field for Syracuse.

TRAILING IN NEW TERRITORY
Prior to the ACC Semifinal matchup with Louisville, the Orange had only trailed its opponents for 33:12 out of a possible 1,675:33 of game time. After Louisville scored to take the lead in the 42nd minute, the Syracuse played from behind for the remaining 47:14, eclipsing their total from the entire regular season. Only Louisville has scored more than once on Syracuse in 2014. The Cardinals have scored two goals in each of their matchups with Syracuse.

COLLEGE CUP NO. 9 SEED
Syracuse has earned a No. 9 seeding in the 2014 College Cup. The Orange earns a first round bye and will take on the winner of Hartwick and Penn State on Sunday, Nov. 23. The ACC led the nation with seven teams earning College Cup berths, as well as five teams earning top-16 seeds, also the most in the nation. Notre Dame earned the top spot in the rankings, and looks to defend their 2013 National Championship. ACC Champion Clemson was given the No. 7 spot, followed by Syracuse at No. 9, Louisville at No. 13 and Virginia rounding out the ranked teams at No. 16. The top 16 teams host the second round matches. All subsequent matches will be hosted by the higher seeded team until the Final Four when play returns to Cary, N.C.

THEY SAID IT
"We did create good chances in the first half, but couldn't capitalize on them. We got back in there after Alex Halis's goal and huffed and puffed until the end but just couldn't get over the finish line."
Head coach Ian McIntyre on the Louisville match

"We're delighted. Any time you see your team's name pop up on the screen it's a special moment. For us to enjoy that together was important and now we will prepare for two quality teams in Penn State and Hartwick. Either one will be a real test for us."

Head coach Ian McIntyre on earning a No. 9 seed in the College Cup

IN THE TWITTERSPHERE
Liam Callahan @Liam_Callahan
"First time I've ever been a part of a selection show. Nerves are jumping."

Ian McIntyre @ismcinty
"Very proud that our SU team secured a #9 seed in the NCAA Tournament. A home game on Sunday will be a very special occasion for the program!"

Toga said:
Hartwick - Penn State at 7:00 on Thursday. Go Wick!

If the 'Wick gets by PSU I have to root for us over SU. Though unfortunately I don't think Hartwick really has a shot. Still, being in a weak conference might help rejuvenate the program.

Tried to get the SU and Hartwick memorabilia in my office in one shot. Along with the alcoholic beverage gifts from clients.

ForumRunner_20141119_183205.png

If the 'Wick gets by PSU I have to root for us over SU. Though unfortunately I don't think Hartwick really has a shot. Still, being in a weak conference might help rejuvenate the program.

Tried to get the SU and Hartwick memorabilia in my office in one shot. Along with the alcoholic beverage gifts from clients.

View attachment 30471
Froze my ass off many a game at Elmore Field.

Matt Schneidman‏@matt_schneidman 43s43 seconds ago
Syracuse's updated quadrant in the NCAA tourney bracket. SU back at No. 1 defense in nation w/ Monmouth's loss Thurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom