MSOC 2014 NCAA Tournament 11/23/14 SU vs PSU 2:00 @Cuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

MSOC 2014 NCAA Tournament 11/23/14 SU vs PSU 2:00 @Cuse

SU will now face Georgetown next Sunday. Do you know what time it is? :D

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 38m38 minutes ago
SU's Chris Nanco and Alex Halis have gotten good chances early in the second half. Nanco mishit a dribbler, Halis went high/wide right.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 36m36 minutes ago
GK Alex Bono flubs a throw and defender Tyler Hilliard pushes a Penn State player in the box. PK coming.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 35m35 minutes ago
Bono dives left and Connor Maloney scores down the middle. Penn State leads 1-0 with 30:09 to play.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 34m34 minutes ago
To make things worse, someone from Syracuse in the press box sounds the scoring horn. Ben Lewis feels Bono's pain.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 33m33 minutes ago
McIntyre upset Syracuse isn't given advantage on a PSU foul.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 32m32 minutes ago
Some kind of collision near the sideline, (blocked by the bench), but nothing called. Penn State players calling for an SU card.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 27m27 minutes ago
The Orange nearly equalizes on a beautiful back-heel feed from Nanco to Nick Perea. PSU GK Andrew Wolverton dives right to save.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 26m26 minutes ago
Syracuse fans want a hand ball call on a Penn State defender sliding in the box. Looked inadvertent, but stopped the Orange attack.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 25m25 minutes ago
Halis turns away from a teammate and rips a 25-yard shot about 15 yards right. 20:30 left to play.

Matt Schneidman@matt_schneidman · 26m26 minutes ago
If SU comes back to win, it'll head to Georgetown next Sunday. GU scores with 7 seconds left before PKs to advance to the sweet sixteen.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 23m23 minutes ago
Penn State's Mikey Minutillo picks up a yellow card with 19 minutes to play. Syracuse still controlling possession.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 21m21 minutes ago
Julian Buescher finds Skylar Thomas on the cross about 8 yards out, but his header rings off the top post. So close.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 20m20 minutes ago
There it is. Oyvind Alseth finds Emil Ekblom cutting down the right side. A couple dribbles and a shot later and we're tied 1-1. 16:30 left.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 20m20 minutes ago
Syracuse gets another chance as Ekblom is (graciously) awarded a foul just outside the top-right corner of the 18.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 19m19 minutes ago
PSU's Mason Klerks called for a yellow card on the play. Solid shot by Hilliard, but Wolverton goes up in traffic to catch it.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 18m18 minutes ago
Ekblom gets a little greedy in transition and fires a left-footed shot well over the net. Had help coming on the right side.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 15m15 minutes ago
Liam Callahan drills a solid header from 5 yards out that Wolverton incredibly leaps and swats with his left hand. Play of the game so far.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 15m15 minutes ago
Callahan pulled his jersey halfway over his head and raised his arms in frustration. Cannot believe Wolverton knocked that over.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 14m14 minutes ago
A whole bunch of bodies flying in the box. Syracuse gets a free kick from about 25 yards out, offset to the right. So much tension.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 13m13 minutes ago
Very chippy game. Lots of pulling and after SU is awarded a foul around midfield, a Penn State player kicks the ball away.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 12m12 minutes ago
Hoo boy. Alseth lines one in from the right endline and Wolverton carries it across the goal line on the save. 2-1 SU with 6:30 left.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 11m11 minutes ago
Great delivery Jordan Murrell diagonally across the field. Alseth took one touch to control, then ripped it across.

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 7m7 minutes ago
Penn State gets a scoring attempt that goes wide left in the box. 2:16 to play. McIntyre yelling, "Decisions. Decisions."

B3J6nr9IYAEYqww.jpg:large

Actually, today's game was being streamed for free via OAA. I would expect next week's game will be the same.
I know - just for the heck of it I went to OAA and it was on. Unfortunately I tried it with only about 8 minutes left. Then I started freaking out that maybe I've been getting billed every month for 2-3 years since I rarely look at my checking statement.

orange79 said:
SU will now face Georgetown next Sunday. Do you know what time it is? :D

Well since you asked, it's 5:29 amd Georgetown still sucks

Another game where Syracuse dominated play almost the entire way. Hit the pipes at least twice, had 5 or 6 point blank scoring chances. The PSU goalie played a terrific game and was a key keeping them close.

PSU got a penalty kick on a middling foul that usually is not called and that I believe occurred outside the box. Credit to them for taking advantage and scoring on it. Connor Maloney was their best player, excellent touch with his passes and surprisingly good speed. He was the B1G offensive player of the year. The B1G is not a good soccer conference, credit to the Nittany Lions for playing hard all game long.

After PSU got their goal, there wasn't a lot of time left; maybe 26 minutes or so. SU had been putting heavy pressure on the Lions beforehand but that pressure was ratcheted up even more from this point forward. SU played with great urgency, completely dominated PSU and got the equalizer pretty fast on a nice finish by Emil. Wolverton, the PSU goalie, was great all game long, but misplayed a shot from the endline that I suspect was supposed to be a pass, and carried the ball into the goal with his momentum, ruining what had been a great night for him.

Not happy Gtown somehow got an 8 seed and will get the home field advantage. The New Big East is not a good conference, it is not remotely as good as the ACC and if the Hoya played in the ACC, they would be fortunate to finish in the top half of the conference. SU will overcome the incompetency of the NCAA seeding committee and move forward anyway.

Good write-ups.

I'll add that Penn State's #10 displayed some pretty bad sportsmanship throughout and finally got a red card (on a second yellow) after time had expired. We didn't notice what he did to earn that, but he'd had it coming, if only for his Jersey Shore haircut and general demeanor.

OttoMets said:
Good write-ups. I'll add that Penn State's #10 displayed some pretty bad sportsmanship throughout and finally got a red card (on a second yellow) after time had expired. We didn't notice what he did to earn that, but he'd had it coming, if only for his Jersey Shore haircut and general demeanor.

He was a punk. Think he got that post game card for verbally ripping into the refs.

And that #5 is a fast little sucker.

I want to commend Ch. 9 for the highlights and post-game interviews last night. I was critical of media coverage earlier, so this was nice to see. Still waiting for anything on the 5th place National finish by cross country...