Mt Rushmore of all time great sports photos | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mt Rushmore of all time great sports photos

It's not gonna be on the general public's list, but it's the greatest moment in my fandom:

ap_south_africa_soccer_wcup_us_algeria_36114654.jpg

My life would be complete if I had access to all of the photos used in Ken Burns’ “Baseball” documentary... pictures of those old farm sandlots that all the townpeople played on, the first American professional ball fields - the ones where the fans could be found packed along the INSIDE of the outfield fence! Nostalgia overload. Would love to have some hung about my house.

They are so hard to find online it seems... here is one that I could find easily that leaves me in awe.

View attachment 180782

Love that shot. Is that the old ballpark in Cincinnati before Crosley Field?

This is one I was going to post but got sidetracked and forgot about it. Well before my time, but I can watch that replay anytime.
Way before my time as well but like you I enjoy the replay. Look at all that space around Willie !

Way before my time as well but like you I enjoy the replay. Look at all that space around Willie !
The Polo Grounds was squeezed into a narrow city block where they did not have enough room down the lines and where they had too much room elsewhere.

Look at a diagram of the park. 258 to the right field line. 484 to dead center.

I believe you can see that little chunk of center field that extends into beyond the normal outfield wall just to Willie's left. He was probably 450 feet from home plate when he made the catch.

PoloGrounds.gif

To me, a really cool thing was how close Yankee Stadium was to the Polo Grounds. They were a quarter of a mile apart, just across the East River from each other.

yankpg.jpg

You can see the unmistakable outline of the Polo Grounds (in Manhattan in the lower left hand corner), with Yankee Stadium up top in the Bronx.

The Polo Grounds was squeezed into a narrow city block where they did not have enough room down the lines and where they had too much room elsewhere.

Look at a diagram of the park. 258 to the right field line. 484 to dead center.

I believe you can see that little chunk of center field that extends into beyond the normal outfield wall just to Willie's left. He was probably 450 feet from home plate when he made the catch.

PoloGrounds.gif

To me, a really cool thing was how close Yankee Stadium was to the Polo Grounds. They were a quarter of a mile apart, just across the East River from each other.

yankpg.jpg

You can see the unmistakable outline of the Polo Grounds (in Manhattan in the lower left hand corner), with Yankee Stadium up top in the Bronx.

I think topography was the limiting factor rather than the street grid - Coogan's Bluff was a steep hill that reduced the buildable portion of the site. It also sticks in my memory that Jacob Ruppert built Yankee Stadium in that location deliberately to taunt the Giants' owner after a lease dispute at the Polo Grounds.

Anything to do with that ballpark is way before my time, but I know my dad was fortunate enough to go to Mets games there in the last two years of the stadium's life. He says that he was so distracted by looking at his surroundings in his first trip there in 1962 that a foul ball landed at his feet but hopped to another fan before my grandfather could get his attention.

That is my least favorite picture ever because it's when I realized once and for all that a foul is usually no longer a foul in college basketball, the best of all sports and the one with the most broken officiating.
Yup, clean - it’s a play on!
Same here. No foul was ever called for Roberson. At home. Against Pitt. Good thing we never leave New York State!
MG_6916.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom