MY Big East expansion thought | Syracusefan.com

MY Big East expansion thought

Blaster

2nd String
I posted this on anther board figured i would share it here also;)

Doesnt matter whether the big 12 lives or dies and you can subtract 1 team if by some chance WVU doesnt leave for the SEC

These schools are just an rough example for starters
BE invites: Houston, Southern Miss, ECU, and UCF

Pros: Practically poach proof the SEC and ACC cover most or all the markets already so they wont have any interest in the future. If you want stability why invite more teams that have bulls eyes on there back from bigger conf? KU,KSU would have interest from the pac12 or big ten and mizz from big10 and sec your just setting yourself to go through all this bs again in the future.

They open new BE markets and recruiting areas. These schools will also have room to grow aq status and BCS cash will help them improve and since you know they aren't going to another conference its not gonna be wasted money when u help build up a program then they jet on you in the future when they start winning.

New tv deal coming up to even further conf stability. 12 team FB league CCG in the meadowlands or alternating someplace else. MSG basketball tourny in NYC.

The 12/20 is prolly could be a great setup to survive the long haul. 16 team all sports leagues are gonna be great for every sport except Football. It just comes out as more bottom feeders. If you take what mark Cuban says it will be nice for awhile but the schools that are always on the bottom might want out after awhile or when a lot of great teams end up beating each other up in the regular season screwing with there chance a NT cuz they keep knocking each other out every other week . If that turns out to be true your still in great shape becouse when they start falling apart you can just keep on plugging along.

The big 12 leftovers are are good schools but they add nothing to football besides mizz. I dont think it is to far fetched to say that 3 of the 4 possible BE leftover targets have a football profle of most non aq teams. Without fact checking i'm gonna say these schools football history while good has been kinda the same the last 100 years, is the BE gonna change it for them for the next 100? I say invest in projects and see if they can bloom.

The Crutch to this new conference would be the northern schools SU, PITT, UCONN, Rutgers. If these four schools could hold hands and not break up this conf would be solid. The biggest threat would be PITT to the Big 10 But they recruit well if the new TV deal makes bank and they are being successful, and they are getting reps in the meadowlands and BCS bowls would they want to leave would be the question.

I guess thats the direction i would like to see becouse i feel it adds stability rather than nice names. Even if the Big 12 dissolves not taking the leftovers might be a great idea since the BE might be able to keep there aq even taking those schools becouse the MWC should take over the b12's. C-USA loosing some of its top teams to the BE should lock us in from the rest of the competition for quite some time. Also i dont see the B1G or acc expanding for a few years, but only time will tell.

Just a thought that might help the BE if it lives to see its new media deal.

Holy crap. Is that strategy really to invite teams no one wants because no one will steal them?

Hmmm, no.

Maybe these suggestions will go over better on your regular board. They'll go nowhere here.

Holy crap. Is that strategy really to invite teams no one wants because no one will steal them?

Yea but not in the way a feel your wording it. Its not adding crappy programs so no one will take them. Its adding Decent programs with room to grow that other conferences wont take becouse they already have teams in those markets.
No matter how good UCF ever gets are they getting an invite from the ACC or SEC? no they already have florida.
Houston- SEC with have texas a&m dont ever see the ACC going that far and would prolly rather stay in the BE rather than being another Texas whore in the Big 12-3
Soutern miss- Sec already has 2 teams in Mississippi and with a new tv we should be making a bit more money than the ACC
East Carolina- Acc has like ten teams in that market lol so that would never happen although if they ever become real good they could be a target for the SEC in the future but the SEC would rather have NCST or NC

Yea but not in the way a feel your wording it. Its not adding crappy programs so no one will take them. Its adding Decent programs with room to grow that other conferences wont take becouse they already have teams in those markets.
No matter how good UCF ever gets are they getting an invite from the ACC or SEC? no they already have florida.
Houston- SEC with have texas a&m dont ever see the ACC going that far and would prolly rather stay in the BE rather than being another Texas whore in the Big 12-3
Soutern miss- Sec already has 2 teams in Mississippi and with a new tv we should be making a bit more money than the ACC
East Carolina- Acc has like ten teams in that market lol so that would never happen although if they ever become real good they could be a target for the SEC in the future but the SEC would rather have NCST or NC

We should invite Miami of Ohio, Ball State, and Northern Illinois.

Every one of those teams currently is on the outside looking in. We're still "in." Why would we want to look for more program-builders, when what we should be doing is hoping we can position ourselves to remain at the highest level the next time the wheat and the chaff get tossed into the air?

Every one of those teams currently is on the outside looking in. We're still "in." Why would we want to look for more program-builders, when what we should be doing is hoping we can position ourselves to remain at the highest level the next time the wheat and the chaff get tossed into the air?

Besides mizz the rest of the leftovers are as bad if not worse at football then the teams i just mentioned. UCF and Houston have just invest over 100 million into the facilities southern miss just invested 70 million. Thats without the aid of a nice TV contract to help.
So adding mizz KU and KSU that would bail on us in a heart beat is the way to protect our future? Your prolly right we dont want anymore program builders like USF, Louisville, or cin.

Also taking those teams kill c-usa and the B12 will add the good teams from the MWC or they will get the B12's aq bid if it dissolves so how do we get hurt?

Besides mizz the rest of the leftovers are as bad if not worse at football then the teams i just mentioned. UCF and Houston have just invest over 100 million into the facilities southern miss just invested 70 million. Thats without the aid of a nice TV contract to help.
So adding mizz KU and KSU that would bail on us in a heart beat is the way to protect our future? Your prolly right we dont want anymore program builders like USF, Louisville, or cin.

Also taking those teams kill c-usa and the B12 will add the good teams from the MWC or they will get the B12's aq bid if it dissolves so how do we get hurt?

Forget putting duct tape on the Titanic, we need to abandon ship.

You are only looking at it assuming the existing conference members will pull those new members up. What if they further dilute the quality of play and jeopardize our AQ status by making the conference more than 50% old Conference USA members? We would just look more and more like a farm league for the big conferences.

I don't want KSU or KU or Baylor or Iowa State either. But I REALLY don't want Houston, SMU, ECU et al right now. Everything is in flux, and I am extremely hopeful that SU -- and a small group of our current BE football-playing brothers -- get melded into the ACC (or if necessary, the B10). This is a critical time for SU, and I don't want to spend our energies bringing other newbies along trying to get them up to speed.

You are only looking at it assuming the existing conference members will pull those new members up. What if they further dilute the quality of play and jeopardize our AQ status by making the conference more than 50% old Conference USA members? We would just look more and more like a farm league for the big conferences.

Yea thats why this is my BE thought not saying they will do it. Not sure how it would dilute are our conference UCF had a bowl win over georgia bulldogs and Southern Miss lost to louisville in an epic game 31-28. Like a stated before these schools will be practically off the table to the biger conferences becouse they offer almost no revenue gain becouse they sit in already existing markets not becouse the programs are bad. Also the are way out of the foot print for the PAC 12 and Big 10

Doesnt matter whether the big 12 lives or dies and you can subtract 1 team if by some chance WVU doesnt leave for the SEC

Pros: Practically poach proof the SEC and ACC cover most or all the markets already so they wont have any interest in the future. If you want stability why invite more teams that have bulls eyes on there back from bigger conf? KU,KSU would have interest from the pac12 or big ten and mizz from big10 and sec your just setting yourself to go through all this bs again in the future.

They open new BE markets and recruiting areas. These schools will also have room to grow aq status and BCS cash will help them improve and since you know they aren't going to another conference its not gonna be wasted money when u help build up a program then they jet on you in the future when they start winning.

New tv deal coming up to even further conf stability. 12 team FB league CCG in the meadowlands or alternating someplace else. MSG basketball tourny in NYC.

The 12/20 is prolly could be a great setup to survive the long haul. 16 team all sports leagues are gonna be great for every sport except Football. It just comes out as more bottom feeders. If you take what mark Cuban says it will be nice for awhile but the schools that are always on the bottom might want out after awhile or when a lot of great teams end up beating each other up in the regular season screwing with there chance a NT cuz they keep knocking each other out every other week . If that turns out to be true your still in great shape becouse when they start falling apart you can just keep on plugging along.

The big 12 leftovers are are good schools but they add nothing to football besides mizz. I dont think it is to far fetched to say that 3 of the 4 possible BE leftover targets have a football profle of most non aq teams. Without fact checking i'm gonna say these schools football history while good has been kinda the same the last 100 years, is the BE gonna change it for them for the next 100? I say invest in projects and see if they can bloom.

The Crutch to this new conference would be the northern schools SU, PITT, UCONN, Rutgers. If these four schools could hold hands and not break up this conf would be solid. The biggest threat would be PITT to the Big 10 But they recruit well if the new TV deal makes bank and they are being successful, and they are getting reps in the meadowlands and BCS bowls would they want to leave would be the question.

I guess thats the direction i would like to see becouse i feel it adds stability rather than nice names. Even if the Big 12 dissolves not taking the leftovers might be a great idea since the BE might be able to keep there aq even taking those schools becouse the MWC should take over the b12's. C-USA loosing some of its top teams to the BE should lock us in from the rest of the competition for quite some time. Also i dont see the B1G or acc expanding for a few years, but only time will tell.

I'd vote for dropping football first.

Yea thats why this is my BE thought not saying they will do it. Not sure how it would dilute are our conference UCF had a bowl win over georgia bulldogs and Southern Miss lost to louisville in an epic game 31-28. Like a stated before these schools will be practically off the table to the biger conferences becouse they offer almost no revenue gain becouse they sit in already existing markets not becouse the programs are bad. Also the are way out of the foot print for the PAC 12 and Big 10

If those teams you mention -- UCF and Southern Miss -- are so good, we should be worried that the ACC will grab them instead of us.

Marry the ugliest girl you can find...so no guy will steal her. If you really want to live like that. Yikes.

If those teams you mention -- UCF and Southern Miss -- are so good, we should be worried that the ACC will grab them instead of us.

No.
Syracuse, Rutgers, Uconn, and Pitt add more tv sets to make there tv deal worth alot more. Expansion is based off how many tv sets you can add to your broadcast range not so much how good your team is.
Example: Texas a&m
How do u think the BE is gonna land such a great tv deal becouse of how powerful are football teams are? We have the most TV sets under our footprint than any other conference. Why not extend your foot Print? UCF adds orlando, Houston- Houston, Southern miss adds almost 7 million over multiple cities in its range, and ECU adds parts of NC.
The BE is living off off quantity over quality atm. Also there BB reputation.

How big is CUSA's TV contract?

Because that's where you're headed.

A nice stable league ... playing Friday nights on Versus.

Practically poach proof

There's a reason they're poach-proof. No one else would want them. We've already helped to build UConn and USF. No need to help that dreck too. I agree with Go - inviting those schools makes the option of hoops-only look good. Yuck.

Marry the ugliest girl you can find...so no guy will steal her. If you really want to live like that. Yikes.

Seem to have worked out well for USF and louisville, cin all 3 have a had shots at a national title

Seem to have worked out well for USF and louisville, cin all 3 have a had shots at a national title

That's right - we helped program-build them all. We took them from nothing in to a BCS conference. We don't need to do that again for the teams you mentioned.

There's a reason they're poach-proof. No one else would want them. We've already helped to build UConn and USF. No need to help that dreck too. I agree with Go - inviting those schools makes the option of hoops-only look good. Yuck.

Well if it wasnt for success of conference usa schools like cin, USF , Lville with help from WVU we would be a non AQ conference atm. i'm kinda sure houston has some BB history UCF was decent last your they were on a bit on tv cuz michael jordans son plays for them.
I guess where i'm coming from is if they can help make the conference stable and we get this next tv deal that will crush the ACC's it will help SU get so much stronger.

Well if it wasnt for success of conference usa schools like cin, USF , Lville with help from WVU we would be a non AQ conference atm. i'm kinda sure houston has some BB history UCF was decent last your they were on a bit on tv cuz michael jordans son plays for them.
I guess where i'm coming from is if they can help make the conference stable and we get this next tv deal that will crush the ACC's it will help SU get so much stronger.

Sorry. Not buying it. Yes, we needed C-USA to keep us afloat. No, we do not need them again. If we need that group to save us, maybe we shouldn't get saved. And you cannot downplay the "with help from WVU" statement. Saved our bacon.

That's right - we helped program-build them all. We took them from nothing in to a BCS conference. We don't need to do that again for the teams you mentioned.

And still no one respects the Big East. Perception is reality, and most people around the country don't consider the Big East as anything more than a mid-major because in response to being raided by the ACC, the Big East raided ConferenceUSA.

When did usf have a shot at a national title? You're digging a giant hole here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom