My God we're good | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My God we're good

This team like every other team will have its ups and downs, because it's a long season. It appears we have more fire power than we did last year, but the defense it's not as good because we don't have the length at the top of the zone that we had last year. Nevertheless it's a great time to be an Orange fan.

As for you Igor, I have it on good authority that JB is secretly working on a man to man defense which will be referred to as the IGOR in you honor of course. It will be unveiled when we play Duke.

I think he's going to win it. He's got a lot of Melo in his game.

If Duke had better low post players around him, I would be worried - but they don't.
Melo like, but even bigger and stronger than freshman Melo. Exciting player.

jb predetermines who can and cant play. eve r hear of Michael carter Williams. he had no clue of melo. he thought if melo stayed 2 years we could make the final four. he's a joke. he miscalculated on dc IIII, Roberson, ennis and keita. in the past forth and cole. unfortuneately he'll kee it forever trying to make it work. to clear up Roberson. he's nopt ready, but after 9 games, super star.
Multiple posts from Iggy in the last day and change, even more belligerent than usual. Looks like someone is upset about another strong start. If only Roberson had played, we could have plugged one of the big holes this team has at forward. Instead we have to settle for potential All American and a likely lotttery pick.

But it's not like he was backup to shakey patatoes at Duke. He was behind Kyrie Irving and then Austin Rivers before he decided to transfer. And it's not like Coach K shoved him out of the door, Silent G didn't want to be there, and happened to choose Jim Boeheim to be his new coach. And Coach K couldn't deny that request.

To help put things in perspective, we have a top 30 high shool player who essentially played WG/SF his whole high school and AAU career. At Dook he was working out with the bigs because of the log jam at the guard position (Cook, Curry, Rivers, Thorton, and Dawkins). He was being groomed for a situational role to guard some of the opponents quicker and stretch 4 bigs. At Syracuse, he is the only player being asked to practice and workout in a position he has never played and at 6-7 going against smaller and quicker PGs. The learning curve will be very steep, but I believe he can get the job done with more games under his belt at this new and very demanding position where even the most experienced point guards tend to struggle or turn the ball over at times under pressure.

I believe when he learns to protect the ball better and the game slows down for him we will see a much different player given his size, athletism, and shooting ability.

To help put things in perspective, we have a top 30 high shool player who essentially played WG/SF his whole high school and AAU career. At Dook he was working out with the bigs because of the log jam at the guard position (Cook, Curry, Rivers, Thorton, and Dawkins). He was being groomed for a situational role to guard some of the opponents quicker and stretch 4 bigs. At Syracuse, he is the only player being asked to practice and workout in a position he has never played and at 6-7 going against smaller and quicker PGs. The learning curve will be very steep, but I believe he can get the job done with more games under his belt at this new and very demanding position where even the most experienced point guards tend to struggle or turn the ball over at times under pressure.

I believe when he learns to protect the ball better and the game slows down for him we will see a much different player given his size, athletism, and shooting ability.

Good post.

Going through 3 positions in 18 months can't be easy. Haven't been too impressed thusfar, but Gbinije's only going to improve.

Internet sports forums are just like the stock market. Periods of unjustified euphoria interspersed by periods of needless gloom.

This team is fun to watch, I'll leave it at that. Especially Jerami Grant, he reminds me a bit of Hakim Warrick, maybe further along at this point. And I've been very impressed with Ennis, he is great, and as a previous poster pointed out, he plays without ego, which is so key at that position. This team can go far. But there are some obvious holes, and there are more talented teams out there we'll have to get hot against to go all the way come March.

We've got a freshman PG who is unflappable and plays like a sr., has no ego, passes the ball with good balance vs. driving/shooting. Solid in all areas. Best PG since Sherman. We've got a #2 who's becoming the second coming of GMAC and is now more than a shooter.

We've got outside shooting from multiple players with a Mr. versatile can do it all in possible/probable ACC POY in CJ, the quiet leader. An emerging star in Grant who along with the above have youth and will only get BETTER, solid now role players seasoned with great experience (FF included) in Rak and Keita, a developing solid presence in the middle with Coleman the trio of which should offer solid D in the middle, good off the bench depth with Michael Bin., etc. Outside game, inside game, legend experienced coach leading the way, solid veteran assistants, and all of a sudden good FT shooting. Let me repeat that, Syracuse has good FT shooting!

Theres no one on the schedule we can't run with. No one. It's going to be another tremendously successful season, potentially historic even. These are the glory years we're in the middle of it appears ladies and gents. Take a step back and appreciate it. I mean NC, Duke, Indiana, Nova, ND, etc. all in the Dome, with this team!? Wheres' the FF this year? Even with the new challenges presented by the ACC this team is going to be more than fun to watch all year. Another FF run? If good vocal leadership is present/develops on this team, then smart $ says don't bet against us. Enjoy the ride.

As I'm sure you know, the Final Four is in Arlington this year, good doctor. A mere three hours north of me. You and I know from decades of experience that a lot of things need to fall the right way to make it that far, but I'm hoping we get a chance to catch up in person for the second consecutive year.

This place is flying very high right now, and it will be absurd how far the pendulum will swing when we eventually post our first loss--but I am generally very optimistic about our prospects this year. The defense has a long ways to go if we hope to avoid being stuck just outscoring other teams (something the 2003 squad was very good at, actually), but it's very early and we're starting the year with a pretty inexperienced duo up top, so I'm pretty confident about their room to grow (though height can't be taught here, as elsewhere).

That run through Maui convinced me that we've got the potential. Ennis is a revelation--a real creator--and if we lose him for any reason could be catastrophic and turn us from a protected NCAA seed into a 5 or 6 seed that might only get to the Sweet Sixteen. But if we don't, and if the light goes on somehow for DC and stays on for Rak, the sky's the limit.

Congratulations on bringing Igor out of the woodwork. You must be very proud.

As I'm sure you know, the Final Four is in Arlington this year, good doctor. A mere three hours north of me. You and I know from decades of experience that a lot of things need to fall the right way to make it that far, but I'm hoping we get a chance to catch up in person for the second consecutive year.

This place is flying very high right now, and it will be absurd how far the pendulum will swing when we eventually post our first loss--but I am generally very optimistic about our prospects this year. The defense has a long ways to go if we hope to avoid being stuck just outscoring other teams (something the 2003 squad was very good at, actually), but it's very early and we're starting the year with a pretty inexperienced duo up top, so I'm pretty confident about their room to grow (though height can't be taught here, as elsewhere).

That run through Maui convinced me that we've got the potential. Ennis is a revelation--a real creator--and if we lose him for any reason could be catastrophic and turn us from a protected NCAA seed into a 5 or 6 seed that might only get to the Sweet Sixteen. But if we don't, and if the light goes on somehow for DC and stays on for Rak, the sky's the limit.

Congratulations on bringing Igor out of the woodwork. You must be very proud.
wise words as usual my friend. Speaking of coming out of the woodwork, good to see you back aboard. Stick around!

image.jpg
ok, think it's officially time to lighten up Francis and join the crowd...(sorry couldn't help myself, waiting to post that for quite a while...lol)

I think we've got a shot at the championship every year until they finally lose and we don't. I can say that I am happy as freakin hell to have purchased a season seat because it sure has been one heck of a season so far.

wrong. grant is an nbaer; cj a very good senior. u can play 3 guys. the rest of the country does
He's right. Niagara does, LeMoyne does, Sisters of the Entirely Demented Igorian Amoeba's do. They all have the same likelyhood of being National Chumps----Champs, along with Igor the Enlightened One.

I never know whether to feel sorry for you or ignore you or just get Kevorkian for you. I also wonder why you are on a basketball board on any day other than April 1st.

GO SU - - GO J.B. GO real SU fans. GO Igor…keep us laughing and guessing.

Last edited:
CJ can bring it up no prob, I think Mike Gin. will improve, but I think Ennis is SO heady, we won't need more than him as I don't think he'll be often in foul trouble.

I think by March the one or two layups Ennis occasionally miss he will no longer be missing. When he misses layups it's because he's trying too hard. The more confidence he gets he's not going to make that type of mistake!

My impression of this year's team vs. last year's team is that this year's team is not as good defensively...yet(forcing a lot of TO's but allowing high FG%'s). However, offensively this team definitely seems to be better...last year it seemed like a struggle to score points whereas this year's team looks more lethal and capable of scoring in different ways. I get the feeling this could be another FF type team. These guys are a joy to watch.

It's still December. By March this team could be just as good as or even better defensively than last year's team. The zone defense takes a lot of time to practice. I have yet to see all five players of this team all shift in unison. I bet by March they will all be shifting in unison!

I can't garner the energy to figure out how to say it a different way, so I'll let my past self do the talking. Jump on the train any doubters this is some fun! Skys the limit.

This is the game that did it for me.

Defense is nice, but championship teams need to consistently score. We did that. Our pre-season All America played like an All American. We're good.

This is the game that did it for me.

Defense is nice, but championship teams need to consistently score. We did that. Our pre-season All America played like an All American. We're good.
yeah with Rak and Grant coming into their own a bit, and Keita contributing at times it makes my worries about losing Colemans 5 fouls in the future moot. Gotta start squirreling away my nuts for Buffalo and NYC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom