My Hope For This Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Hope For This Year

OK Nostradamus, you know how this season is going to play out?!

You act like your logic is a foregone conclusion...what makes you think you are right? What are you basing this on?

Is it Babers track record of championships or is it his win loss record?
Is it the kids he inherited at both schools he has been a head coach who seemed to learn this offense pretty quickly? He must have had the smartest kids in the history of those schools to perform like they did and win conference championship after conference championship.

Is it the scenario that he is in...which is the same scenario that he has been in twice before?

Would love to hear the logic behind your opinion because that is all you have stated. Basing it on anything in reality?

We will go over this again at the end of the season. Then we will see who is right.

This will take more time than you think. Maybe a lot more time.

We will go over this again at the end of the season. Then we will see who is right.

This will take more time than you think. Maybe a lot more time.

Maybe, I am looking forward to the games and the conversations afterwards.

That Eastern Illinois team he took over was 2-9 when he arrived. Those 7 out of 10 playoff appearances mean nothing for 2012 and 13, just like our rich history means squat for next year.

He also changed both the offense and defense completely for both EIU and BGSU just like he is doing here.

Lets see how much of a power in the MAC BGSU is without Babers next year when another coach has to change systems without their entire staff including the S&C coach.
The previous coach at EIU was building a team , the year before Dino took over .A lot of the players on that team played FCS playoff games , so their success wasn't ancient history . BGU still has a big talent advantage over most of the MAC , it was that way before Dino and it will continue for the foreseeable future . It makes it easier to be a successful coach when you have better players .

CousCuse said:
The previous coach at EIU was building a team , the year before Dino took over .A lot of the players on that team played FCS playoff games , so their success wasn't ancient history . BGU still has a big talent advantage over most of the MAC , it was that way before Dino and it will continue for the foreseeable future . It makes it easier to be a successful coach when you have better players .

They played in one playoff game (and lost 7-48) in Spoo's last 4 years.

Bowling Green's big talent advantage includes never finishing at the top of MAC recruiting rankings in the past 5 years, and only finishing in the top 3 once in that same time frame.

So to rehash. At Eastern Illionios, no talent advantage and went from 2 wins to 7 in one year. He did inherit a very good team from Clawson - but lost his 1st string QB.. And still broke passing records at BG.

Baylor was in the mid-40's recruiting until very recently, but have dominated Texas and Oklahoma (and the rest of the Big12) who are typically in the top 20.

Babers gives you a chance to punch up a weight class or two. There is no denying that fact. Why you feel it's your mission to temper expectations is beyond me. Get excited, it's fun.

Dino seems to have the chops and his plan will work long term but when you play Florida State Clemson Notre Dame Louisville along with Pittsburgh North Carolina State and Virginia Tech unless he is a miracle worker we will be blessed to make a bowl this year.

Bowling Green's big talent advantage includes never finishing at the top of MAC recruiting rankings in the past 5 years, and only finishing in the top 3 once in that same time frame.

So to rehash. At Eastern Illionios, no talent advantage and went from 2 wins to 7 in one year. He did inherit a very good team from Clawson - but lost his 1st string QB.. And still broke passing records at BG.

Baylor was in the mid-40's recruiting until very recently, but have dominated Texas and Oklahoma (and the rest of the Big12) who are typically in the top 20.

Babers gives you a chance to punch up a weight class or two. There is no denying that fact. Why you feel it's your mission to temper expectations is beyond me. Get excited, it's fun.
Social media is a very powerful device It has been used to bring down governments , destroy companies and break up relationships . That is what happens to coaches on the internet when fans expectations aren't met . I have watched college for a long time and I can not tell you the number of superstar up and coming coaches that found it much more difficult and took longer to succeed than their impatient fans liked and many were targeted to be fired by alumni groups and other such know it alls only to stay and get things on track . Many of these coaches fail entirely . I don't remember any instance where a coach came in and turned things around in 1 season .

You sound very foolish writing that Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green don't have talent advantages in their leagues .

Social media is a very powerful device It has been used to bring down governments , destroy companies and break up relationships . That is what happens to coaches on the internet when fans expectations aren't met . I have watched college for a long time and I can not tell you the number of superstar up and coming coaches that found it much more difficult and took longer to succeed than their impatient fans liked and many were targeted to be fired by alumni groups and other such know it alls only to stay and get things on track . Many of these coaches fail entirely . I don't remember any instance where a coach came in and turned things around in 1 season .

Can you define what your expectation of "turned things around in 1 season" is?
Many Shafer supporters pointed to how close we were to winning 6 games last season.

By that logic, assuming we were already a possible 6 win team...
We were very young. We had issues with injuries. Our coaching staff was incompetent on game day.

I don't think hoping for 6 or 7 wins is unrealistic at all. Even Shafer got to 7 wins in his first season. And if we fall short I will not blame Babers. He is clearly on point.

Last edited:
CousCuse said:

Let's be clear: your actions here will not stop the monsoon if he finishes with 2 wins over the next 3 years.

He's aware of this reality.

There are literally hundreds of examples of new HCs winning more games in year 1 then the coach that was fired. Marrone did it with Robinson here in his first season.

That's the bar here. Just show improvement - it doesn't even have to show up in the w/l. There are very few ppl here with crazy expectations. 6-6 is what most are predicting.

Last thing: there are always crazy people who expect crazy things. They won't get a coach fired.

CousCuse said:
You sound very foolish writing that Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green don't have talent advantages in their leagues .

Prove it.

(Eastern Illinois was bad for 3 of the 4 years prior, I doubt that was translating to great recruiting. You can skip the recruiting rankings of you like, but the facts I shared about bowling green are what they are).

Can you define what your expectation of "turned things around in 1 season" is?
Many Shafer supporters pointed to how close we were to winning 6 games last season.

By that logic, assuming we were already a possible 6 win team...
We were very young. We had issues with injuries. Our coaching staff was incompetent on game day.

I don't think hoping for 6 or 7 wins is unrealistic at all. Even Shafer got to 7 wins in his first season. And we fall short I will not blame Babers. He is clearly on point.
I expect this season to be difficult , with a few wins , if we exceed that I would be overjoyed .

CousCuse said:
I expect this season to be difficult , with a few wins , if we exceed that I would be overjoyed .

Less than 4?

Prove it.

(Eastern Illinois was bad for 3 of the 4 years prior, I doubt that was translating to great recruiting. You can skip the recruiting rankings of you like, but the facts I shared about bowling green are what they are).
Here is EIU's playoff appearance's since 1981 when they moved up to FCS from d-2 .
Year First Round Home Team First Round Away Team QuarterfinalHome Quarterfinal Away
1982OT Eastern Illinois 16 Jackson Tigers 13 Tennessee State 20 Eastern Illinois 19
19832OT Indiana State 16 Eastern Illinois 13
1986 Eastern Illinois 28 Murray State 21 Eastern Illinois 22 Eastern Kentucky 24
1989 Idaho 21 Eastern Illinois 38 Montana 25 Eastern Illinois 19
1995 Stephen F. Austin 34 Eastern Illinois 29
1996 Northern Iowa 21 Eastern Illinois 14
2000 Montana 45 Eastern Illinois 13
2001 Eastern Illinois 43 Northern Iowa 49
2002 Western Illinois 48 Eastern Illinois 9
2005 Eastern Illinois 6 Southern Illinois 21
2006 Eastern Illinois 13 Illinois State 24
2007 Southern Illinois 30 Eastern Illinois 11
2009 Southern Illinois 48 Eastern Illinois 7
2012 South Dakota State 58 Eastern Illinois 10
2013 Eastern Illinois 51 Tennessee State 10 Eastern Illinois 39 Towson 49
2015 Northern Iowa 53 Eastern Illinois 17
That is a power . You do know that Shanahan , Romo and Sean Payton are alumni's . Do you think they got Garropollo by chance?

Less than 4?
I would feel better about getting 4-6 wins if the teams on our OOC schedule were Wagner , Miami Ohio , FIU instead of Colgate ,UCONN and USF.

CousCuse said:
Here is EIU's playoff appearance's since 1981 when they moved up to FCS from d-2 . Year First Round Home Team First Round Away Team QuarterfinalHome Quarterfinal Away 1982OT Eastern Illinois 16 Jackson Tigers 13 Tennessee State 20 Eastern Illinois 19 19832OT Indiana State 16 Eastern Illinois 13 1986 Eastern Illinois 28 Murray State 21 Eastern Illinois 22 Eastern Kentucky 24 1989 Idaho 21 Eastern Illinois 38 Montana 25 Eastern Illinois 19 1995 Stephen F. Austin 34 Eastern Illinois 29 1996 Northern Iowa 21 Eastern Illinois 14 2000 Montana 45 Eastern Illinois 13 2001 Eastern Illinois 43 Northern Iowa 49 2002 Western Illinois 48 Eastern Illinois 9 2005 Eastern Illinois 6 Southern Illinois 21 2006 Eastern Illinois 13 Illinois State 24 2007 Southern Illinois 30 Eastern Illinois 11 2009 Southern Illinois 48 Eastern Illinois 7 2012 South Dakota State 58 Eastern Illinois 10 2013 Eastern Illinois 51 Tennessee State 10 Eastern Illinois 39 Towson 49 2015 Northern Iowa 53 Eastern Illinois 17 That is a power . You do know that Shanahan , Romo and Sean Payton are alumni's . Do you think they got Garropollo by chance?

The ONLY years that matter are the 4 preceding Babers. You know the ones where they had one winning season and finished with 2 wins prior to Babers arrival.

Our great history has not resulted in long strings of top ten recruiting.

People at the school thought Garropollo couldn't play. He broke every school record under Babers.

CousCuse said:
I would feel better about getting 4-6 wins if the teams on our OOC schedule were Wagner , Miami Ohio , FIU instead of Colgate ,UCONN and USF.

We got to 4 with USF, LSU, Central Michigan, and Rhode Island on the schedule. Not that much of a difference, IMO.

The ONLY years that matter are the 4 preceding Babers. You know the ones where they had one winning season and finished with 2 wins prior to Babers arrival.

Our great history has not resulted in long strings of top ten recruiting.

People at the school thought Garropollo couldn't play. He broke every school record under Babers.
The model for FCS football is to get guys who are physiologically under developed in high school and red shirt them and put them in a strong nutritional and exercise program. They peak as 5th year starters , ideally. Our great history happen too long ago . Spoo was and still is a legend in Illinois . He was getting to the end of his coaching days , but he was loading one more team to try to win a championship.

CousCuse said:
The model for FCS football is to get guys who are physiologically under developed in high school and red shirt them and put them in a strong nutritional and exercise program. They peak as 5th year starters , ideally. Our great history happen too long ago . Spoo was and still is a legend in Illinois . He was getting to the end of his coaching days , but he was loading one more team to try to win a championship.

Nothing about a 2-5 record screams Championship. That's why he wasn't retained.

Give up, man.

Nothing about a 2-5 record screams Championship. That's why he wasn't retained.

Give up, man.
He was old he decided to retire. No one dismissed him .You just don't know much about college football but really have a lot of strong opinions.

CousCuse said:
He was old he decided to retire. No one dismissed him .You just don't know much about college football but really have a lot of strong opinions.

So he was building towards one last championship, but then quit? Despite having a roster of studs and being right there on the cusp at 2 wins? Cmon. Just admit that Babers does more with less and we'll be square.

Weren't you the guy who started "Hunt for Heisman"?!?

I'm just hope we do well enough to keep the kids coming in interested. That by the end of this season to see noticeable improvement . While wins to matter i feel if we get some good wins late those wins are more important .

I would love to hear/watch a interview that "we're not taking Cuse lightly" and not be lip service.

Last edited:
So he was building towards one last championship, but then quit? Despite having a roster of studs and being right there on the cusp at 2 wins? Cmon. Just admit that Babers does more with less and we'll be square.

Weren't you the guy who started "Hunt for Heisman"?!?
News flash to young person , when you get old things you were able to do easily become impossible , like working 16 hour days coaching football . The man was 75 years old , maybe his family said they never see him and he is going have a heart attack someday and they will never get to do the things they planned . I already explained why I supported Hunt .

Weren't you the guy who started "Hunt for Heisman"?!?[/QUOTE]
Yes he was...no matter how absolutely absurd it sounds now, it was just as absurd at the time.
Not that he had a lot to start with, but he lost most his credibility with that campaign

CousCuse said:
News flash to young person , when you get old things you were able to do easily become impossible , like working 16 hour days coaching football . The man was 75 years old , maybe his family said they never see him and he is going have a heart attack someday and they will never get to do the things they planned . I already explained why I supported Hunt .

And none of that explains how they had 7 win talent the year later, and 10 wins the next under Babers. He made them a playoff team. The. End.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom