"My Man" | Syracusefan.com

"My Man"

SWC75

Bored Historian
Casey Stengel was once asked the secret to his success with the Yankees. "Beacuse I never play a game without my man." The reporter didn't know who Casey's 'man' was but noticed that the one player who had played in all their games that year, either behind the plate or in the outfield, was Yogi Berra. Yogi was Casey's "man".

Jim Boeheim has insisted that fans shouldn't worry about who starts. They should jsut look at the minutes played. That's a pretty good way to rank the players on the team- which guys does the Hall of Fame want out there the most? Or, which guys does he least want to do without? Here are the current minutes per game of the "Syracuse Ten", (sorry Mookie):

Kris Joseph 29.0
CJ Fair 23.9
Fab Melo 23.0
Scoop Jardine (21.8- 262 mintues)
Brandon Triche 21.8- 261 minutes)
Dion Waiters 21.3
James Southerland 15.8
Michael Carter-Williams 13.4
Rakeem Christmas 12.8
Baye Moussa Keita 12.2

So Kris Joseph gets the "My Man" award for this season- so far. Of course, JB has proven he will go with the hot hand in individual games. But I don't think you'll see Kris on the bench in the alte going of a tough game, unless he's hurt or in foul trouble. He's our most versatile player. He can shoot from outside, drive to the basket, fill a lane on the fast break, handle the ball and pass it a bit, (he came in with the rep of a "point-forward"), help out with the rebounding and play good defense when the spirit moves him, (and it has this year). He's the sort of guy you'd want in there even when he isn't making his shots. I suspect he'll still be the leader at the end of the year.

Here's some past winners of the "My Man" award, (SU Athletics has the minutes per game numbers dating back to 1983-84: I'll call that year "1984" and the next "1985, etc.)

1984 Rafael Addison
1985 Rafael Addison
1986 Pearl Washington
1987 Sherman Douglas
1988 Sherman Douglas
1989 Sherman Douglas
1990 Billy Owens (Not Derrick Coleman)
1991 Billy Owens
1992 Dave Johnson
1993 Lawrence Moten
1994 Adrian Autry
1995 Lawrence Moten
1996 John Wallace
1997 Jason Hart
1998 Todd Burgan
1999 Ryan Blackwell
2000 Jason Hart
2001 Preston Shumpert
2002 Preston Shumpert
2003 Carmelo Anthony
2004 Hakim Warrick
2005 Hakim Warrick
2006 Gerry McNamara
2007 Demetris Nichols
2008 Paul Harris
2009 Jonny Flynn
2010 Wes Johnson
2011 Rick Jackson

There is a tendency here toward versatile forwards like Kris Joseph or top point guards in whose hands JB wanted the ball to be in as much as possible. You also have situations where there was a big gap between the starter and the reserve: the starter can be out there not just because of his good qualities but because of the drop-off to the man behind him. There are no centers on on the list: they tire more easily moving their big bodies up and down the court and draw more fouls in their attempts to block shots. Then sometimes, there's not much difference between the guy who leads the team in mintues per game and the guts who are second or third. Sometimes JB has more than one "man". But these were certainly the guys JB least wanted to do without over the years.

Nice summary. I suspect that to some degree those minutes were also determined by the backup available at each spot. How many guards are there? How talented are they, even if one is "The Man" he might lose some minutes just by that.

No wonder '07 and '08 were so bad.

This year's data are skewed a bit because MCW was given "teaching" minutes, especially against Bucknell, and there have been some injuries.

Dave Johnson was not the top mpg guy in 94 considering his last season was 92. Without looking it up I would guess Autry led the team in mpg that year. That brings me to another point, I don't think there's anything all that surprising to this, in most (but not all) prior seasons, the top mpg guy on the team was its best player, something that one would expect. If one had to guess who led the team in minutes in each of these years, if they could remember the makeup of the team from each season, you'd probably be able to guess the top mpg guy at like an 80% or better success rate.

Thats why dion should start, no way he should be 6th on the team in minutes per game, he should be 1 or 2.

Thats why dion should start, no way he should be 6th on the team in minutes per game, he should be 1 or 2.
For God's sake, please back off this "who should start business"!

interesting how Lawrence Moten and Dave Johnson flip flopped over four years

That 93-94 season was Autry (1072 mins - 35.73 mpg), but only by a slim margin over Moten (1043 mins - 34.76 mpg). 29 total minutes difference over 30 games. That could be the result of one game of a guy being under the weather or two games where someone was in foul trouble.

95-96 there was an even slimmer margin between Wallace who played 1379 mins. over 38 games (36.28 mpg) and Sims who played 1353 over 38 games (35.6 mpg).

My stats are courtesy of www.orangehoops.org

I'd be interested to see how many of those seasons there was a significant disparity say 5 mpg or more between the top guy and runner up.

Dave Johnson was not the top mpg guy in 94 considering his last season was 92. Without looking it up I would guess Autry led the team in mpg that year. That brings me to another point, I don't think there's anything all that surprising to this, in most (but not all) prior seasons, the top mpg guy on the team was its best player, something that one would expect. If one had to guess who led the team in minutes in each of these years, if they could remember the makeup of the team from each season, you'd probably be able to guess the top mpg guy at like an 80% or better success rate.

That's an oops on my part- got it right in my notes but not when I typed it. I'll fix it now.

If CJ Fair isn't already, then pencil him in for the "Yogi" role for the next coupla years.
Anyone else get a warm & cozy feeling when he's in the game? It's like he always makes the right play, at the right time.

"I've got a fever...& the only prescription..is more CJ"!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom