My Post Spring Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Post Spring Depth Chart

When do we think think Dino will stop talking about not having sufficient depth? Do you think he's waiting for the guys he inherited to leave program and the guys he brought in in yrs 2 and 3 to be seniors. Meaning he could still be talking about depth in year 6 or 7. I'm genuinely curious as to when he no longer gets to use depth.
when the 2s on either line and QB have potential to be multi-year starters. if TD or any of the tackles get hurt then the season is basically over.

When do we think think Dino will stop talking about not having sufficient depth? Do you think he's waiting for the guys he inherited to leave program and the guys he brought in in yrs 2 and 3 to be seniors. Meaning he could still be talking about depth in year 6 or 7. I'm genuinely curious as to when he no longer gets to use depth.
Depth is much improved. We went from horrible to somewhere in the pretty good to good range.

Tight end is not good. We lost Pierce, we lost Horan and right now have Hackett, who has almost no experience, Elmore, who really isn't a true TE and is injured, and the true frosh Benson, who was listed at 220 in HS, and likely won't be able to play at this level until he puts on at least 10-15 pounds. Though speed is important and Luke has it.

Defensive line is not good. The 2019 recruiting class took it from crisis level to major alarm level. When the seniors leave after 2019, there isn't much left, especially inside.

I think we will probably be in good shape depth wise at all positions in another 2 years. Much progress has been made but we aren't where we need to be quite yet.

The only area I find myself disagreeing on the depth chart is at linebacker. The more I think about it the more I see three senior starters (Williams, Cullen & Armstrong) at linebacker. I think you'll see Wallace, Richards & Jones as the second team and Allison, Kpogba & Trotter as the third team.

On the depth question, I tend to agree with Tomcat, looking at our chart we seem to be 2 years away. That is, of course, assuming the sort of recruiting that I think we're all confident that Coach Babers can manifest. 19/44 spots in Tomcat's current two deep are sophomore or lower, when those 19 kids are juniors and seniors we will be highly formidable.

"gets to use depth" implies that you think he's using it as an excuse for something. I think he said that in relation to the teams we are trying to win the ACC vs our depth is lacking. I mean you can say this about every team that's not Bama, Georgia, FSU, OSU. I'm just happy that he has big goals and that he thinks they are achievable (esp when most around here think it's pie in the sky).

A couple of years ago when Dino talked about depth he said they didn't have enough players to do what they wanted to do in practice, which was essentially to play fast in practice. This was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly what he said but the gist was he wanted 4 (even 5) full teams of players so they could rip through repetitions without slowing down for subbing and all that jazz. He wanted full units that could line up and go, team1, team2, team3 boom boom boom etc. So my guess was around 4 deep at each position; at a minimum, at least offensively.

He's also painfully aware that you're only as good as your bottom half. We can't have 20 ACC players. He needs 85 and that's what is also meant by depth. So while some positions are low in numbers, what depth really means is the lack of a drop off between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 etc. You have to raise the back end. Otherwise you can't survive injuries, and often overlooked is the better the back end the better the competition in practice which just raises the bar.

I haven't quit figured out his position # breakdowns but if you look at his past teams, going back to Baylor, you can get an idea what his numbers looked like.

Personally, I think after this class we'll have the depth he was looking for pretty much across the board.

Minus the early enrollees we're adding:

OT - Grad Transfer
OT - Tisdal JUCO
OL - Bergeron
TE - Benson
RB - Johnson (big back)
QB - Summers
LB - Cantin
DE - Goulbourne
DE - Linton
DT - Munoz
DT - Rondi
DB - Nunn
DB - Greenwood
DB - Williams

(have to go through the roster yet to determine how many of each etc.) Or someone else can do it.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago when Dino talked about depth he said they didn't have enough players to do what they wanted to do in practice, which was essentially to play fast in practice. This was a few years ago so I don't remember exactly what he said but the gist was he wanted 4 (even 5) full teams of players so they could rip through repetitions without slowing down for subbing and all that jazz. He wanted full units that could line up and go, team1, team2, team3 boom boom boom etc. So my guess was around 4 deep at each position; at a minimum, at least offensively.

He's also painfully aware that you're only as good as your bottom half. We can't have 20 ACC players. He needs 85 and that's what is also meant by depth. So while some positions are low in numbers, what depth really means is the lack of a drop off between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 etc. You have to raise the back end. Otherwise you can't survive injuries, and often overlooked is the better the back end the better the competition in practice which just raises the bar.

I haven't quit figured out his position # breakdowns but if you look at his past teams, going back to Baylor, you can get an idea what his numbers looked like.

Personally, I think after this class we'll have the depth he was looking for pretty much across the board.

OT - Grad Transfer
OT - Tisdal JUCO
OL - Bergeron
TE - Benson
RB - Johnson (big back)
QB - Summers
LB - Cantin
DE - Goulbourne
DE - Linton
DT - Munoz
DT - Rondi
DB - Nunn
DB - Greenwood
DB - Williams

(have to go through the roster yet to determine how many of each etc.) Or someone else can do it.
I don't know if it's realistic to have 85 ready to go players...

What he said is that we have about 25. He also added we have some talented younger guys coming along, that are putting in the work. I took that as motivational to those players, and that we could have a handful or more ready by fall. 44 ready to go-two complete teams- would be fine by me.

"gets to use depth" implies that you think he's using it as an excuse for something. I think he said that in relation to the teams we are trying to win the ACC vs our depth is lacking. I mean you can say this about every team that's not Bama, Georgia, FSU, OSU. I'm just happy that he has big goals and that he thinks they are achievable (esp when most around here think it's pie in the sky).
Not really suggesting he’s using it as an excuse. I’m legitimately wondering when during his tenure the issue goes away.

I think the staff is beating the drum of needing depth for a few reasons (and will for a few more seasons)
1. Extra motivation for the young kids.
2. Strong message to recruits looking to make an impact early.

I'm fine with Dino using that message as long as it takes.

OT - Grad Transfer
OT - Tisdal JUCO
OL - Bergeron
TE - Benson
RB - Johnson (big back)
QB - Summers
LB - Cantin
DE - Goulbourne
DE - Linton
DT - Munoz
DT - Rondi
DB - Nunn
DB - Greenwood
DB - Williams

He also can't say it but what he means by depth is not just the pure numbers but the talent within those numbers. Mid 2000s we were one of the worst D1 programs under G.Robinson. D. Marrone and Scott Schafer did a decent job but D.Babers sees this as a ACC championship program and for that we have to recruit and compete at the Fla St, Miami, Clemson level. For that we need to do alittle better. We need to do better on the bottom half of our recruiting classes. He recognizes that due to a number of reasons freshman can't really be trusted so the remaining 60 or so players have to be top notch with Jrs and Srs leading your team then replaced by So and RF.

I think the staff is beating the drum of needing depth for a few reasons (and will for a few more seasons)
1. Extra motivation for the young kids.
2. Strong message to recruits looking to make an impact early.

I'm fine with Dino using that message as long as it takes.
I personally think he mentions needing more talented depth is because he believes that to have a consistent ACC contender and further reduce margin for error he needs more talent.

I personally think he mentions needing more talented depth is because he believes that to have a consistent ACC contender and further reduce margin for error he needs more talent.

This is 100% what he means. What I find remarkable is that he thinks it’s possible.

This is 100% what he means. What I find remarkable is that he thinks it’s possible.
Fla St. is down. If we beat them in Tallahassee it sends a message. We seem to play Clemson close. If we beat them in the Dome that sends a message. I think he's alittle past half way to his goal. Winning will get him there. We were there in the late 80s and 90's so why can't we get there again?

This is my guess at what the depth chart will look like when the season starts in September...

With the WRs moving all around, who the heck knows where a number of the youngsters will end up.

The linebackers are tough to call too; seems like there are people being moved around a lot and there is still some uncertainty with Shy.

But this is what I think for now.

Looking at the chart, we don't have a really strong junior class, especially on defense. We might take a step back in 2020. The sophomore class is very good though. When they are seniors, we have a chance to be really special.

View attachment 159968

As we talked about at the game I think the 1s vs 1s match up favors the Defense right now because of the line match up. However overall there is more depth of talent on offense and the 2's and 3s were able to have a great deal of success.

That's not to say that the starting offense didn't have it's moments. Those slants that Devito threw were so welcomed. If we can confidently throw the ball inside the hashes as well as along the sideline this offense is going to be the supercar that Babers is talking about.

The issue at TB and WR is it can we find two or three guys that can play, it's how do you get touches for all the guys that can contribute.

If Welch is performing well preparing as the #2QB, and if Summers comes in and can run the Scout team, I wonder if Rex will bounce back to TE.

No we need to recruit for next year
The good news - there could be 11 guys on the 2019 roster who will return for 2020 (not counting Richards).

The bad news - as of right now, there are only 2 (Black and Jonathan) who have considerable game experience.

Ideal? No. But it doesn't mean there isn't talent there to take over. Don't need stop gap solutions yet - a whole year of workouts and coaching and development to get through yet.

Just because the solution isn't obvious doesn't mean it's not there.

I personally don’t like taking grad transfer unless they are better then everyone we got since I feel like we can develop our players better to take the role on and bringing a grad transfer just delays the problem a year. They still need game expeirence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom