my primary thought last night | Syracusefan.com

my primary thought last night

stuckinbig11

All American
was that if any of our current players were watching, they had to be thinking "gotta get Devo to teach me how to do that--the old man could kick our butts."

My biggest take away was how much better the Army team is than our current addition of Orange. Not a knock on the guys just the realization that grown men who used to be talented college players and have continued to play at some level professionally are far superior to college teams. Remember this team was just thrown together, imagine JB coaching them for a couple of months and getting the rotations and roles sorted out.

was that if any of our current players were watching, they had to be thinking "gotta get Devo to teach me how to do that--the old man could kick our butts."
I was thinking the same thing . Devo and Triche brought the ball down court quickly and their first thought/ instinct was to look for a lane to the basket. If they got fronted up then they dished.

I can't think of any right handed player that finishes better with his left hand around the rim than Devendorf.

THIS.
I think Devo *prefers* to go left, since defenders likely don't expect that from a righty as much. He's an amazing finisher at the rim, as well as getting there in the first place.

I was thinking the same thing . Devo and Triche brought the ball down court quickly and their first thought/ instinct was to look for a lane to the basket. If they got fronted up then they dished.
That was the best thing about the game.
Forget the turnovers and sloppiness.
It was great to see guards wearing orange ...Triche and Devo...actually take the ball to the hoop.

And Triche was perfect at crunch time...with the 3-pointer and 4 of 4 from the line.

That was the best thing about the game.
Forget the turnovers and sloppiness.
It was great to see guards wearing orange ...Triche and Devo...actually take the ball to the hoop.

And Triche was perfect at crunch time...with the 3-pointer and 4 of 4 from the line.

Yep. I feel like I can only count on my hands the times SU guards have gotten to rim the past few years which is just crazy.

My biggest take away was how much better the Army team is than our current addition of Orange. Not a knock on the guys just the realization that grown men who used to be talented college players and have continued to play at some level professionally are far superior to college teams. Remember this team was just thrown together, imagine JB coaching them for a couple of months and getting the rotations and roles sorted out.

Interesting topic. You see it all the time in the pros. Many players peaking in their late 20s, maybe right at 30. Certainly exceptions to this. But I even see it in myself. I'm 29 and still play regular pick up and weekly league and I'm the best I've ever been. I'm not saying I'm good, just the best I've ever been haha.

Reminds me of an old Mark Titus article on college vs pros and the level of talent that, to quote him, "it takes to fart on the end of an NBA bench."

One of the best finishers I have ever seen in a cuse uniform.

Yeah and for a guy that played below the rim, it's even more impressive. The craftiness, touch, and body control are fun to watch.

Is JB letting Devo play in practice? I'm starting to wonder if this is the real reason Frank Howard has no confidence;)

Devo plays a huge role at practice. Incredibly high energy level working with the players. All the players seem to love him and want to emulate him.

This young man has made an incredible transformation since he was a player here. I spent some time talking with him after the game last night in Brooklyn. Ten years ago, I would have bet against him ever becoming a role model. I was so wrong.

Cooney got to the rim at will. He just couldn't actual put the ball through the red circle metal thing when he got there

I honestly believe he has really small arms. He has no ability to use his arms as an advantage. Everything Cooney does with his arms is super predictable and easily blockable. Devo is literally the exact opposite.

Devo plays a huge role at practice. Incredibly high energy level working with the players. All the players seem to love him and want to emulate him.

This young man has made an incredible transformation since he was a player here. I spent some time talking with him after the game last night in Brooklyn. Ten years ago, I would have bet against him ever becoming a role model. I was so wrong.

Hey!! Not sure if I've missed prior posts - but really glad to have ya back on here!!

Was great seeing you on TV last night, right where you belong. Next to Barbara Boeheim 1 row behind Cuse basketball.

LOL, Strength training with Eric is mental strength training as it involves him blowing by you over and over again and trash talking your sorry arss.

This is a really good post. There's probably something to the idea of having a mental strength trainer.

Nice seats, cto, you must know somebody :cool:

Loved Devo as a player, even more now.

Cooney got to the rim at will. He just couldn't actual put the ball through the red circle metal thing when he got there

Once in awhile, IMO, he got to the rim. More on backdoor cuts when he would get overplayed. Too many times though he settled for a launch when dudes were closing out hard on him. Just imagine if he could've been another playmaking guard driving and kicking to setup teammates. Then again that's probably too complex of a set. Drive and kick instead of settling for a challenged launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom