My Question for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Question for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
(There have been no articles giving details of this year’s Jim Boeheim show. I had to call into the radio station to find out that the first show will be tonight. I’ll assume there has been no changes since last year. No schedule had been posted but the show is usually on a Thursday unless there is a game or a holiday that night.)

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show will likely start out on Zoom and not be at a local restaurant. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you said in last week’s show that guards have no impact on defending the basket. It seems to me that if you let too many people get into the paint with the ball, the center becomes like a goalie whose defense is allowing too many shots on goal. We’ve had come great defensive guards like Andy Rautins and Michael Carter-Williams out front who disrupted and blocked the other team’s attempts to get the ball in the paint so they could attack the basket. You also said that it’s not just up to the guards to keep the ball out of the paint, that the forwards have some responsibility there. Could you break down what the guards have to do and what the forwards have to do to keep the ball out of the paint?”

Good question! I'm especially curious about the guards' role once the ball gets into the paint. Some years, they close out on the three-point shooters. This year, it seems like they don't do that but hang out in possible passing lanes. Or maybe that's being too generous and they're just standing around.

So we all are level-setting here and JB is cherry picking. Here are the steals per game. Basically AG, Buddy, Marek and JG are all even. Kadary leading.

steals.png

Seems like that leads to the question of what happens those times they don't get a steal?

Gambling for steals is worse than just sitting back on D.

You immediately give your opponent a 5-on-4 with the ball handler past you and that much closer to the hoop.

JB’s doing a much better job of defending Jackson & Joe, than they are on the floor. :rolleyes:

None of our starters is a plus defender.
Marek is out of position, Q is decent but short, and AG is still learning the zone.

They are all still better than the starting guards.

So we all are level-setting here and JB is cherry picking. Here are the steals per game. Basically AG, Buddy, Marek and JG are all even. Kadary leading.

View attachment 196341

Hmmm.
It’s almost like one of those guys is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better at getting steals than all of the others?

Nah, can’t be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom