My take get rid of automatic bid | Syracusefan.com

My take get rid of automatic bid

Orangefan1

All Conference
ive been watching these teams and truly if you are good enough you'll make the tournament I think these automatic bids takes away truly from teams that are just way better than these crappy so called mid major teams

no reason the tourney can't encompass champions of smaller leagues. they proved themselves worthy.

ive been watching these teams and truly if you are good enough you'll make the tournament I think these automatic bids takes away truly from teams that are just way better than these crappy so called mid major teams
That is what the tournament is all about. It is a national tournament. And quite often, those crappy teams beat the teams from major conferences. In the first two days of the tournament anyway.

I know, i am torn on this. I live in albany, so i follow siena and ualbany. The maac tourney is in albany, sienas home court and i will admit, not fair to monmouth, the reg season champ having to play siena and 8k fans in the semis. Monmouth was better over 4 months winning the reg season and beaten by a team tbat gets hot for 3 days. Unfair. Reward the reg season champs bids like the ivys did? We don't want to get rid of Cinderella in the tourney. I think there are 2 or 3 auto bids that could be taken away to make the tourney better. The teams that end up in Dayton playing into the 16 seed are pretty bad. Conferences like the meac and such. That would open up 3 spots for the cuses, vandys, uris this time of year, all good teams that could make a run. The tourney has never been about selecting the BEST 68. Make the lower tier mid majors play for an nit bid and award them home games against p5s. Thats still a big deal to them.

IMG_6226.GIF

i think they should open up another 4-8 bids to make sure the non P5 are served so teams like Ill state do get in and give them some more wiggle room.. if they think some years 1-2 more non p5 deserve a shot play 2-3-4 more of those early games. you could honestly make it so 8 teams play in that 16 seed game and 4 teams would get a shot at a ncaa win and not really effect the tourney all that much.

Couldn't disagree more. The automatic bid is a big part of what makes this time of year so special.

i think they should open up another 4-8 bids to make sure the non P5 are served so teams like Ill state do get in and give them some more wiggle room.. if they think some years 1-2 more non p5 deserve a shot play 2-3-4 more of those early games. you could honestly make it so 8 teams play in that 16 seed game and 4 teams would get a shot at a ncaa win and not really effect the tourney all that much.
I hate that they expanded the field from 64 to 68. I don't want to see it expanded anymore

Each conference gets 1 automatic bid.
Each conference decides how to give its automatic bid.

Tournaments are fun and attract attention. I see no need to get rid of them.

They mean the world to the mid majors, but these big conference tournaments mean absolutely nothing for 90% of the teams involved. Most teams are in the field, can move up a seed line with a strong showing, but unless you are cuse, uri, vandy, usc, or wake...its all about the $$$. I mean does anyone year to year remember who was the tourney conference champ? Undermines the reg season champ, a resume of 4 months.

They mean the world to the mid majors, but these big conference tournaments mean absolutely nothing for 90% of the teams involved. Most teams are in the field, can move up a seed line with a strong showing, but unless you are cuse, uri, vandy, usc, or wake...its all about the $$$. I mean does anyone year to year remember who was the tourney conference champ? Undermines the reg season champ, a resume of 4 months.

The P5 teams that are on the bubble, including us, have nothing to complain about if we do not get an at-large. Those teams had plenty of opportunity to come up with a decent resume. They were all mediocre overall. Not sure why you want to reward more of that. Why you feel the need for additional teams like Cal, Indiana, TCU, Clemson, Georgia in the tournament. Why even have a conference season?

It's fine as is. It's good that 1/2/3 seeds are rewarded with easier games.

I'm not sure how this relates to what I said at all.

Those 19-13 turds from power conference like Syracuse (Final Four) and UConn (title). You're right. People would rather watch those turds than small schools.

GMac and our '06 BET Champion team respectfully beg to differ with your opinion. ;)

I hate most of the conference tournaments but I like the idea of automatic bids - it's never been about the to 68 schools. The idea is to get schools that have had successful seasons. Honestly, I'd entertain the idea of not letting teams that didn't have a winning record in conference. I know I'm in the minority in that one

Those 19-13 turds from power conference like Syracuse (Final Four) and UConn (title). You're right. People would rather watch those turds than small schools.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not watch UConn in the tournament

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom