My take get rid of automatic bid | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

My take get rid of automatic bid

It's fun, and all but unfair to the regular season winner, IMO. They work all year, and win the conference championship. Then slip up in one game, and don't get a shot at the NCAAT. Teams like Monmouth have to win all year, then win again to make it.

As for us, we just had to beat BC, and finish 11-7 in the ACC. Would have played someone else, and maybe win our ACCT tourney game. I know, I know. If.
losing to BC was inevitable at the time/line up... the perfect storm... but yes..

It's fun, and all but unfair to the regular season winner, IMO. They work all year, and win the conference championship. Then slip up in one game, and don't get a shot at the NCAAT. Teams like Monmouth have to win all year, then win again to make it.

As for us, we just had to beat BC, and finish 11-7 in the ACC. Would have played someone else, and maybe win our ACCT tourney game. I know, I know. If.
My feeling is if the regular season champs fail to win their tourney, they should get a bid too unless they are like 16-14 overall. And all the play in games should be between P5 schools If the 9th place team in the ACC is on the bubble, let them play a corresponding bubble team from one of the others, say Big 10, or such

My feeling is if the regular season champs fail to win their tourney, they should get a bid too unless they are like 16-14 overall. And all the play in games should be between P5 schools If the 9th place team in the ACC is on the bubble, let them play a corresponding bubble team from one of the others, say Big 10, or such
Definitely agree with you on the play in games. I hate when these small schools make the tourney and their reward is to play another 16 seed.

There's very little new under the sun.

The ACC was the first conference to have a tournament. Every other conference (probably until the formation of the BE) gave their autobid to their regular season champion. The other conferences that were always D-1 started to come around to liking the idea when they saw how much money came to the conferences and the schools ("You honestly think you're getting ACC tournament tickets for a $25 donation to the scholarship fund? Best think again!"). When the CBS money started pouring in, a LOT of schools that couldn't spell "Division 1" before suddenly wanted to move up. The price of allowing Monmouth, Siena, et al., to move up to D-1 from D-3 was to have a conference tournament. When the NCAA took over the NIT, they decided to invite any regular season winner of the one-bid conferences to the NIT if they lost in their tournament. Since the expansion of D-1 to include all these former D-3 teams, there has been an on-going debate over whether it's better to invite the regular season champions or the 8th-place team (just to throw out a number) from a P5 conference. IMO, people love to see these former D-3 teams humiliate a power in the first round (Here's looking at you, dook!), but want them all gone after the first weekend is over. At one time there was a debate about instituting a "50% Rule". One version was "No team with a less than .500 record in-conference could get a bid until all regular season champions were accommodated with bids ." The other version was "No more than 50% of the teams in a conference could get bids."

i just watched a 3 minute highlight reel of games played during championship week. so much excitement.
don't see the value in taking that carrot away from the smaller conferences. let them win their way in.

ive been watching these teams and truly if you are good enough you'll make the tournament I think these automatic bids takes away truly from teams that are just way better than these crappy so called mid major teams
never happen.

Definitely agree with you on the play in games. I hate when these small schools make the tourney and their reward is to play another 16 seed.
Oh I don't have a problem with the small schools playing a 16th seed. I don't like having them play each other in play in games to do it. If a conference winner loses the their tourney let them in. I just think to stop a lot of the bubble talk on who's worthy by making them play each other to determine it. Make all the 11 seeds play in. 8 bubble teams play to get 4 spots.

Oh I don't have a problem with the small schools playing a 16th seed. I don't like having them play each other in play in games to do it. If a conference winner loses the their tourney let them in. I just think to stop a lot of the bubble talk on who's worthy by making them play each other to determine it. Make all the 11 seeds play in. 8 bubble teams play to get 4 spots.
No matter what you do, there will always be teams on the outside looking in that feel they were slighted.

No matter what you do, there will always be teams on the outside looking in that feel they were slighted.
Yup. go to 256 teams (another weeks worth) and team 257 will complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom