My take get rid of automatic bid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My take get rid of automatic bid

Make the First Four the First 8 or 10 and have both regular season and tournament champions get automatic bids.

backup-easy-button.jpg

That uconn team was 9-9 and was a bubble team before winning the BIG East and national title.
They weren't close to the bubble. The Big East was insanely deep that year.
11 of 16 NCAA tournament teams. UConn was underrated in the OOC and won a game at top 10 Texas.

They were making the NCAAT. That BET run gave them a 3 seed though instead of a 7-10'seed.

ive been watching these teams and truly if you are good enough you'll make the tournament I think these automatic bids takes away truly from teams that are just way better than these crappy so called mid major teams
Or, just win your own games against bad teams, and don't worry about getting your bid.

The current system is fine and affords every marginally worthy team a real chance to make the dance.

I wonder what it would have been like if the Internet existed back in the 60s and 70s when legitimate top 10 and top 20 teams routinely found themselves on the outside looking in at NCAAT time.

What made them a "turd" then?
2011 UConn was a turd because they beat a 14 seed, 6 seed, 2 seed, 4 seed, 4 seed, 8 seed to win the NC title.

This was easiest run to a NC any team ever had since the tournament expanded in 1985.

Them winning the BET earned them the 3 seed but they were safely in the tournament.

They weren't close to the bubble. The Big East was insanely deep that year.
11 of 16 NCAA tournament teams. UConn was underrated in the OOC and won a game at top 10 Texas.

They were making the NCAAT. That BET run gave them a 3 seed though instead of a 7-10'seed.

Uconn had lost 4 of 5 heading into the BET. That's kinda my point. 9th place team in a brutal conference is better than Monmouth or St. Bonnies.

2011 UConn was a turd because they beat a 14 seed, 6 seed, 2 seed, 4 seed, 4 seed, 8 seed to win the NC title.

This was easiest run to a NC any team ever had since the tournament expanded in 1985.

Them winning the BET earned them the 3 seed but they were safely in the tournament.

They won the national championship by beating the teams in front of them. In 2011 they beat 14, 6, 2, 5 and a 4 to get the the title game. Complete nonsense calling that team a turd. It's never easy winning a title.

Uconn had lost 4 of 5 heading into the BET. That's kinda my point. 9th place team in a brutal conference is better than Monmouth or St. Bonnies.
Look at the freaking conference in 2011.
Pitt was a 1 seed
Notre Dame was a 2 seed
Syracuse was a 3 seed
Louisville was a 4 seed
West Virginia was a 5 seed
Georgetown was a 6 seed
Cincinnati was a 6 seed
St. John's was a 6 seed
8 top 25 teams and your shocked UConn was 9th in an unbalanced regular season. They won 5 games in the BET and got a 3 seed.

They earned that 3 seed the BE was insane that year
As Villanova and Marquette also got it in.

That UConn NC is BS because they got busted brackets at the end when the end should be tough games.

That Butler NC game was embrassment to basketball.

8 top 25 teams and your shocked UConn was 9th in an unbalanced regular season. They won 5 games in the BET and got a 3 seed.

They finished 9-9 in the Big East and had los 4 of 5. At the time, nobody was sure Uconn was getting in.

They earned that 3 seed the BE was insane that year.

Right...because they won the BET. Syracuse went from out to a 5 seed in 2006 by winning the BET.

That UConn NC is BS because they got busted brackets at the end when the end should be tough games.

Complete crap. They beat the teams that were left. Butler was a pretty good team, obviously.

All right I'm done here.

As you should be. Those 19-13 "turds" from power conferences are sometimes only "turds" because they play in really tough conferences. Those teams can be pretty good teams, that lose a lot of games because of their conference schedule. And not all power conferences are created equal. The PAC 12 and the SEC are not as deep as the ACC, Big 10 and Big 12. I don't have a problem with small schools getting in, but give me 19-13 "turd" like Michigan State over an Illinois State.

As you should be. Those 19-13 "turds" from power conferences are sometimes only "turds" because they play in really tough conferences. Those teams can be pretty good teams, that lose a lot of games because of their conference schedule. And not all power conferences are created equal. The PAC 12 and the SEC are not as deep as the ACC, Big 10 and Big 12. I don't have a problem with small schools getting in, but give me 19-13 "turd" like Michigan State over an Illinois State.

The WHOLE premise of the thread is getting rid of auto bids, so how is Michigan State vs Illinois State relevant? They didn't win their conference.

I'm tired of seeing the same old teams all the time. I actually look forward to seeing teams from schools you only ever "hear" about if you look deeper than the first page of ESPN.

The WHOLE premise of the thread is getting rid of auto bids, so how is Michigan State vs Illinois State relevant? They didn't win their conference.

You posted

"No one wants to see small schools take on Kansas. They'd much rather watch 19-13 turds from power conferences struggle to run offensive sets."

Right?

That's what I responded to.

I'm tired of seeing the same old teams all the time. I actually look forward to seeing teams from schools you only ever "hear" about if you look deeper than the first page of ESPN.

Some of those teams have become the same old teams. Wichita State, VCU, Xavier Gonzaga and Butler are getting in every year now.

You posted

"No one wants to see small schools take on Kansas. They'd much rather watch 19-13 turds from power conferences struggle to run offensive sets."

Right?

That's what I responded to.

It's almost as if "small schools" implied conference tournament winners. Its a thread about getting rid of automatic bids.

It's almost as if "small schools" implied conference tournament winners. Its a thread about getting rid of automatic bids.

I understand what the thread is about. I took exception to your 19-13 turds comment.

I definitely think we need a sarcasm font. :D

Indeed. If it was sarcasm, I couldnt tell, and it appears I wasn't the only one that took it that way. He seemed to keep going on about Uconn being a "turd", so not sure it was.

I didn't bring up Missouri State. Why are you calling 19-13 teams from power conferences "turds"?

Sorry. Illinois State.

And sorry if i offended your sensibilities by specifically listing "19-13" teams. We can just as easily say 18-14, 17-15, or 16-16. Because those are teams that you'd be looking at if you got rid of auto bids.

Sorry. Illinois State.

And sorry if i offended your sensibilities by specifically listing "19-13" teams. We can just as easily say 18-14, 17-15, or 16-16. Because those are teams that you'd be looking at if you got rid of auto bids.

Not offended, just think you're wrong. Your "turds" like Syracuse and Uconn did pretty well. And if Uconn won their tournament, they would have been 18-16 with wins over top 20 teams Smu and Cincinnati. No problem with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom