My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Thank you. We ne of the goals of the My Take posts, especially the ones for away games, is to provide some insights into what it is like to go to a game, and to convince a few SU fans considering attending a game to get off the fence and give it a shot.

A couple of things i meant to discuss in the initial post but forgot:

The worst thing about Lane Stadium is how they set up the seating. They have the standard backless aluminum benches most schools have (and like we have in our upper deck) but they have an insanely narrow width between seat numbers. It has to be like 16 inches. I was sitting in seat 1 in my row and had half a butt cheek hanging into the aisle. There was no room. Extremely uncomfortable.

I think VT was on a quest to get their stadium capacity to a big number and towards that end elected to make the fan experience as miserable as possible.

The dome is a little too narrow but I bet we get an extra 4 or 5 inches compared to Hokie fans. The only other stadium close to this in terms of narrowness is Braver Stadium, another miserable place to watch a game. But I bet Lanr is even narrower than Beaver.

Lane has the same bad design as Beaver in that the sloe used for the stands is too flat so the fans end up fat further from the field than in our dome.

We were sitting maybe 3/4s of the way up from the top of the stands and a bet I was twice as far from the field, and 50 feet higher than my seats at the dome, which are one row from the top.

At FSU, they have a much larger stadium but better sight lines because the stands are much steeper. It makes for a tough walk to your seats but I think it is worth it to sit so much closer to the action.
Yes, I got off the fence and attended this weekend and it was awesome. A friend and I, whose son is a Sr. At VT, were sitting around last summer, checked the schedule and said let's do it. Of course the win, and how we did it, made it a great decision.

Yes, I got off the fence and attended this weekend and it was awesome. A friend and I, whose son is a Sr. At VT, were sitting around last summer, checked the schedule and said let's do it. Of course the win, and how we did it, made it a great decision.
Awesome. I am sorry our paths did not cross!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom