My Take | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Confused by this take. In a m2m defense guards defend guards and the point guard almost always guards the point unless the opponent's 2 is a lock down defender and that your point guard is your best scorer. Joe is being guarded by the guy that would have been on Buddy last year and that's generally a bigger, often more athletic player. Was certainly the case last night and against St. John's
St. John’s went zone because they couldn’t stop Mintz from getting into the lane.

Reactions: 007
Not taking it as snapping at all and I appreciate the analysis. I do think there is some validity in Waters point though, if not in terms of primary defender, the fact that Joe is the only reliable perimeter threat on the team this year certainly demands heightened attention from the defense and we saw St. John's put a 6'4" 230 lb lock down defender on him and completely shut him down.

Judah has to play much smarter, recognize the double teams and pass out of it to the open man. Too often he leaves his feet first, then tries to figure out what to do next and ends up flipping a wild shot toward the basket. Yes, he should have finished two or three more last night, but the bulk of his misses at the rim didn't have a prayer.

And agree completely on Jesse. Not sure if I ever saw a player of his talent commit more soft fouls. He is clearly bothered by physical play and doesn't have the body to counter that physicality.

I think Joe, to his credit, took advantage last year of his role (by his choice or not) and was more efficient than he had been. And I agree when he's the main three point threat, they will have a strategy to take that away. All fair.

JG's issues are threefold. First, he is limited by his physical attributes - size, strength, and speed. His skill set is not the issue IMO, with the exception of his handle when pressured. The second is that he has been the focus of the defense, at least in the early part of the season. That focus will be shifting to Jesse and Judah. It's already happening. Third, it's not so much about the defender Joe is drawing. It is also that his defender is not providing normal help rotations (by design), which makes it even more difficult for him to get open looks. Because he simply can not finish off the bounce, it's been easy for the defense to take him out.

Which means that Judah and Jesse hold the keys to making this offense "work." Forcing Joe to be the focal part of the offense is not going to work.

Judah has to learn to play under control and to make much better decisions off of dribble penetration. Very few defenders, so far anyway, have been able to stay in front of him. The problem is his decision making as the help is rotating to stop him. Right now, he seems stuck between trying to decide when he should try to be a primary scorer off the bounce or when to facilitate for others. This is the art of playing PG. He has the skill set. The next huge step is the learning curve that will hopefully come with more experience and coaching.

Yeah, the thought that Joe gets these elite defenders is funny to me. It might LOOK like that, because Joe is simply overmatched physically at this level from a size, strength, and speed perspective. And it does not help that we don't seem to run consistent off-ball movement on offense. Because of that, we see Joe often just standing there, with a guy next to him, i.e. defense. And when he has the ball, the overall limitations make it so much harder to do anything, again because the other team is playing defense. None of this is too surprising. All things considered, honestly, it's a testament to his overall ability (relative to those limitations) that's he's had the success (don't take that word as meaning efficient, it's used as a relative word here) he's had to this point.

I'm honestly about Joe's size, a little shorter. I've played a lot of bball in my life, and nowhere near the level of, or to the ability of Joe. But I've been guarded by guys that are simply way out of my league from an athleticism standpoint where I don't stand much chance trying to create anything on my own with the ball. I am also doing it at an LA Fitness or in Archbold gym, not in P5 arenas.

All in all, hopefully he can get back to getting some 3s to fall. That's clearly where the strength lies. It's been tough watching the last 3 games. Can't imagine being in his shoes.
I agree he just doesn't have the genetic gift to play acc basketball but it's a shame he hasn't put the time in at the gym, that's on him

Our expectations for what is normal from a two guard is so messed up because we are so used to it. I posted that nonsense Cooney a hundred times too.

I have most of the same criticism of boeheim that everyone else does. I just have a soft spot and a long leash for a guy who has made winter fun my whole life
the legend of Millhouse getting all soft and fuzzy, never thought I'd see it. :)
Welcome to club schizophrenia my friend...

Going to use this to touch on a few different threads, so this isn't all directed at OP.

Mintz is a lead guard. I can't believe anyone is thinking to put Joe at lead guard. Look at the current crop of lead guards in the NBA and if you still think lead guards want to be CP3 instead of Steph Curry, you aren't following closely. Did Joe play it over the last few years? Yep. How many losses did we have over those years?

Mintz' issue is that the tape on him is out there. He has to navigate the help defense that's coming when he's beating the primary defender off the dribble. To be clear, him being able to beat a defender off the dribble is better than what others can do on the roster. He isn't there yet but will get there. BTW, he will def be on the draft radar come spring, so if he leaves, don't be surprised. Hope he doesn't.

Joe has been and is limited both in size, athleticism and ability in terms of playing at this level, especially at the demand JB has utilized him at. He improved last year when Buddy the center of the universe for the offense.

I would strongly consider giving JT much more time at the 2 and live with what happens so their is experience for next year and let him also flex down to the 3.

Bell is still a net negative until he can do more than be a two dribble inconsistent shooter.

JBA shouldn't be playing.

Jesse is good, but is not a low block player. He's not strong enough or have the fundamentals to consistently do it. He keeps getting bullied, gets worn out and getting offensive fouls called on him when he's trying to get position.

I honestly would try to run PnR with Jesse and Judah and try to spread the floor with shooters, whoever is on that game.

We should be playing for the future at this point. Joe has had every opportunity to show out during his career and that runway should have been shut down long ago. JBA seems like a great teammate, but every minute he's playing is a net negative to the future of the program.

Focus on Jesse and Judah, give opportunities to the young guys, play relaxed. Next focus, for me, would be on JT and Brown. Until Bell wants to literally do anything else besides shoot even remotely better than "poorly", he should be benched.

But all of this is stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire. We all know this. And until their is a fundamental adjustment in the program-level strategy and roadmap, we're sitting here talking about how to improve on the margins.
Why would Judah be on anyone's draft radar? He is not a point guard and he does not have the range or size of a 2 guard.

Judah just needs to ease up a little. He wants to go as hard as he can all the time, thinks drive first and pass second.

If he keeps up too many attempted drives to the rim like he did against Illinois, he will get killed in ACC games.

There are four coaches that were guards. It would seem like they might help him get smart to go along with his talent.

Judah just needs to ease up a little. He wants to go as hard as he can all the time, thinks drive first and pass second.

If he keeps up too many attempted drives to the rim like he did against Illinois, he will get killed in ACC games.

There are four coaches that were guards. It would seem like they might help him get smart to go along with his talent.

I remember when pearl Washington got called for 4 charges vs. Marquette as a freshman. It never happened again.

Glory. just like the washed up athlete who can’t play anymore, doesn’t even really love the game , but sees the gig as his identity and not a job, and thus doesn’t know how to quit it.
Steve Carlton pitching for the Minnesota Twins.

Great question for the Jim Boeheim show : )
My guess is he loves some of the other aspects. He also may fear what many older people fear, that when they stop working they start dying. If you were an intense workaholic when you were young you slow down, when older but it is hard to stop. I worked for a law firm that was very successful and the man who built it from the ground up out worked all of us until about age 70. Around that age hesitated slowing down and by the end we could not let him go to court. He had lost much of what made him great at his job but he would not retire. He had to die to let his son take over.

If he doesn't like coaching in college anymore - why is he doing it? What is his goal at this point?
Heard you make this point on Axe. Thought provoking for sure. You are shrewd and tactical. I'd love to hear you wordsmith it in a kind and gentle way for the radio show. If I asked it on the radio show I might get banned for life for calling or going to the Dome for games. I'd blat out something that sounded disingenuous.

Steve Carlton pitching for the Minnesota Twins.
or White Sox, he might have even made a cameo with the Mariners at the end. You've peaked my interest, I gotta go to baseballreference.com to look it up.

I don't even need to add a take. This captures how I feel too.

Great observations.

I liked that JB mixed the lineups around. I do think Justin Taylor offers more than some others, with his size, ability to shoot, and ability to drive. Would like him to be a focal point.

Overall though, the offensive execution is extremely bad and degrading. We need to be able to run sets and generate shots against any team, I don't care how old or experienced the opponent.

JG needs to realize it is rock bottom and shoot his way out. Shooters gotta shoot. If he is not shooting, he cannot accomplish much. I thought he did a better job of moving around and at least trying to get open.

Cuse_MBB instagram needs to do a better job with their highlights. They featured Mintzs dunk, which was his only basket for 90% of the game, and Hima's dunk, which was our last FG before Illini scored the next 20. But, not one of Edwards, who was the shining star.
Was it “mixing lineups” or was it “I have no idea what to do such let’s just roll out the blender”?

Heard you make this point on Axe. Thought provoking for sure. You are shrewd and tactical. I'd love to hear you wordsmith it in a kind and gentle way for the radio show. If I asked it on the radio show I might get banned for life for calling or going to the Dome for games. I'd blat out something that sounded disingenuous.

I'm just planning to quote what I heard Fraschilla and get JB's reaction. I may ask what his goal is in continuing to coach in college as a follow-up if he doesn't deny saying it.

I'm just planning to quote what I heard Fraschilla and get JB's reaction. I may ask what his goal is in continuing to coach in college as a follow-up if he doesn't deny saying it.
looking forward to it

Can the coaches find a lineup that will yield some offensive efficiency? That's the issue at hand.

Can the coaches find a lineup that will yield some offensive efficiency? That's the issue at hand.
I think they have to put Girard at the top where he can run the pic and roll with Jesse and put Judah at the 2 where he can drive and score.

2 of the starters are ball hogs who refuse to make the extra pass to the open man. And they know who they are. Until that changes - nothing changes IMHO. They make it very easy to defend.

or White Sox, he might have even made a cameo with the Mariners at the end. You've peaked my interest, I gotta go to baseballreference.com to look it up.
I will never forget the great Willie Mays struggling to catch a fly ball in a Mets uni at the very end. Sometimes you are the last to know you don't have it anymore. Now I am not saying that is the case with JAB, just that it is possible. Probably still a very good tactician, He can only be as good as the players ceiling right now. I have a hard time believing another coach would have 5-2 now. Too many Frosh and honestly, we dont have frosh with the physical gifts of, say Dukes Freshman.

Was it “mixing lineups” or was it “I have no idea what to do such let’s just roll out the blender”?

Seemed like he was mixing lineups to me. Trying to see what would work. IMO, basketball is like that. There is a chemistry thing, and a competitiveness thing, and you don't always know how the pieces will work together until you are getting your butt beat.

If I had time on my hands, I might watch the game again to see what he tried.

These guys all practice against each other, and the 'senior leader' is not a 'hard nosed gonna teach these scrubs the right way' kind of player. So, they are coming into these games without being battled tested in practice, and are failing.

Gotta give JB a little credit. Joe was bad and his minutes finally dropped.

The only thing I didn't like was that Taylor deserved to come in earlier. Also probably should have not started Mintz for his mistake in the prior game.

Seemed like he was mixing lineups to me. Trying to see what would work. IMO, basketball is like that. There is a chemistry thing, and a competitiveness thing, and you don't always know how the pieces will work together until you are getting your butt beat.

If I had time on my hands, I might watch the game again to see what he tried.

These guys all practice against each other, and the 'senior leader' is not a 'hard nosed gonna teach these scrubs the right way' kind of player. So, they are coming into these games without being battled tested in practice, and are failing.

Gotta give JB a little credit. Joe was bad and his minutes finally dropped.

The only thing I didn't like was that Taylor deserved to come in earlier. Also probably should have not started Mintz for his mistake in the prior game.
Some board members get angry if he does not play the freshmen, when he plays them he does not do it right. The whole team was thrown a curve by Joes' issues and the coaches are obviously looking for the best combinations. This will take time.

The difference to me is the emotional response to outcomes now. 10 years ago, every game felt winnable. A loss would cut deep. The next day there would be some thoughts and reflection about the loss and what happened.

Now these losses are expected. No more gut wrenching feeling after a defeat.

It used to be “how far into the season can we go before our first loss?!” Now it’s “Can we go .500 in non conf?”

It’s honestly very sad.

i bet trevor cooney ran 5 to 6 miles each game with the amount of movement he used to do at the 2 guard.,
The sprinting down the baseline curling around for a jumper, always felt like it was a low percentage after the crazy sprinting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom