My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

Great job, as always, Tom. I wound up watching the game with with CuseCrew and one of his crew team mates (boat mates?) here in Fairfield -- as a result of CuseCrew posting something here earlier this week. What an unexpected treat. Two really fun guys, and great company for a crazy roller-coastsr game. Just proves once again that folks should not be shy about meeting other board members.

Thanks for the kind words Joyce. Lurker Ryan and I had a great time cheering on the team, and sharing stories with you!

CTO proved once again there isn't a better alum/fan than she is. (even if she is going to the US Open next weekend :p )
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't agree with that--yesterday's performance was nothing like what we've seen in the past. Even last year against Wake Forest, with the huge fourth quarter comeback, we looked largely inept on offense for most of the game, then came on big at the end.

Yesterday was totally different--we moved the ball all game long consistently, without three of our top players available on offense.

Last year's team struggled to even more the ball, let alone score points, which made every game a struggle--even some games we somehow pulled out and won. This year's team is capable of a lot more. Just need to eliminate the unforced errors / mental miscues, and we can contend for the conference title.

I do agree that losing sucks, and it is disheartening to lose a game at the end like that when we dominated the other team for the majority of the game. But this team showed tremendous character coming back yesterday--I have no doubt we are going bowling this year.

I disagree with that. The 4th Q was different but the first 3 Qs were very much the same as last year passing wise. Lots of short passes to TEs and WRs into the flats. Sure we did it at a faster pace. And we had a different run game. But overall we didn't have results that were all that great, especially since we were playing such a poor D.

The first drive we were in FG range to start and got conservative. The 2nd drive we benefited from a broken play on 3rd down. The 3rd drive we went 3 and out. The 4th drive was a typical long drive for a TD. The 5th drive was short due to an INT. The 6th drive was a 3 and out. The 7th drive was short due to a fumble. The 8th drive was a 3 and out where we had great field position. The 9th drive was cut short due to the lateral. The 10th drive we moved the ball then got conservative and missed a FG. The 10th drive was a typical long scoring drive. The rest of the game we opened it up more throwing a lot more intermediate and long passes.

So with the score 35-20 we had 354 yards at 5.1 yards per play in 44:13 of game play. The rest of the game we had 262 yards at 9.4 yards per play scoring 21 points in 15:47 of game play. That includes the last drive which was ugly. Let's not rewrite what happened. We can all look at the game thread and see that the O was getting cursed at pretty much until the Kobena TD to end the 3rd Q.

BTW can we stop the Stevens is one of the best players posts on this board please. IMO Wales is a better passing threat. In the coaches opinion Stevens is not a big enough weapon to start. He is a good player and not having he certainly hurts but he is not one of our best O players.

BTW can we stop the Stevens is one of the best players posts on this board please. IMO Wales is a better passing threat. In the coaches opinion Stevens is not a big enough weapon to start. He is a good player and not having he certainly hurts but he is not one of our best O players.

Stevens is thought to be the better pass catching threat.

I disagree with that. The 4th Q was different but the first 3 Qs were very much the same as last year passing wise. Lots of short passes to TEs and WRs into the flats. Sure we did it at a faster pace. And we had a different run game. But overall we didn't have results that were all that great, especially since we were playing such a poor D.

The first drive we were in FG range to start and got conservative. The 2nd drive we benefited from a broken play on 3rd down. The 3rd drive we went 3 and out. The 4th drive was a typical long drive for a TD. The 5th drive was short due to an INT. The 6th drive was a 3 and out. The 7th drive was short due to a fumble. The 8th drive was a 3 and out where we had great field position. The 9th drive was cut short due to the lateral. The 10th drive we moved the ball then got conservative and missed a FG. The 10th drive was a typical long scoring drive. The rest of the game we opened it up more throwing a lot more intermediate and long passes.

So with the score 35-20 we had 354 yards at 5.1 yards per play in 44:13 of game play. The rest of the game we had 262 yards at 9.4 yards per play scoring 21 points in 15:47 of game play. That includes the last drive which was ugly. Let's not rewrite what happened. We can all look at the game thread and see that the O was getting cursed at pretty much until the Kobena TD to end the 3rd Q.

Wow--there literally isn't a thing in your post that I agree with.

If you think that the offense we saw yesterday was more of the same, just at a faster tempo, I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Only" 354 yards in less than three quarters? LOL--okay.

Stevens is thought to be the better pass catching threat.

only by those on this board. Stevens has a role and can be useful but Wales is a Provo clone

only by those on this board. Stevens has a role and can be useful but Wales is a Provo clone

Not really. Stevens caught 3x as many passes last year. He is the better receiver and can get downfield a bit better and the staff knows that. That doesn't mean Wales isn't good, but is not as good a receiver. Wales this year, is likely to get more chances however because he is the better blocking tight end and we are going to use fewer two and three tight end sets and be more open. Unlike last year where Wales was used mostly in a blocking role and Stevens in a receiving role.

Not really. Stevens caught 3x as many passes last year. He is the better receiver and can get downfield a bit better and the staff knows that. That doesn't mean Wales isn't good, but is not as good a receiver. Wales this year, is likely to get more chances however because he is the better blocking tight end and we are going to use fewer two and three tight end sets and be more open. Unlike last year where Wales was used mostly in a blocking role and Stevens in a receiving role.

Lets not pretend either of these guys has a track record to look back at. Stevens has 160 yards in his career. Wales about 100 (60 of them yesterday). But Wales has more upside IMO and will be the leading TE pass catcher from a yardage standpoint. But hopefully Stevens comes back to give us two good pass catching TEs. We need all of the weapons we can get.

Wow--there literally isn't a thing in your post that I agree with.

If you think that the offense we saw yesterday was more of the same, just at a faster tempo, I'm not sure what game you were watching. "Only" 354 yards in less than three quarters? LOL--okay.

Actually I was looking at the drive charts so that included the PIs and other penalties. At that point we had 324 yards at 4.91 yards per play. For reference last year we averaged 5.13 yards per play. So yards per play we were worse at that point in the game vs last year's average. But you are right we were awesome on O. Totally different. It wasn't just the pace and having more plays. Also we were the same all game despite only getting 4.91 yards per play and then 9.56 yards per play following that point.

I highly doubt that anyone here was happy at that point in the game and thought hey we are going to put up 30+ points and 400+ yards per game. BTW we were also up tempo and used similar plays last year vs USC and WV. The whole WV game and first 35 mins vs USC were much more impressive than the first 3 Qs vs NW.

It is a legit question to ask whether or not the 4th Q was out of necessity or if we will see similar going forward. As well as why we went nuts the 4th Q but not so much the first three. Did it just take awhile for the O to fully hit its stride? Or were we forced to open up due to the deficit? We had 13 points halfway through the 3rd Q against possibly the worst D we will face this year. To say that we were good on O start to finish this game is not telling the truth. If we do it again vs USC I will believe. If we do it against Minny I will believe. But one game where the last 16 mins we got nearly 45% of our yards mainly due to being down 22 points, is not enough for me to say we turned the corner. I hope it is the case but I have had to suffer through the first NW game, the first RU and UConn games, the K St game, and the WV game where it appeared that the corner had been turned on O only to have it not be the case.

I hope that the corner has been turned on O. I really do. If it is then there is no reason why we cannot win the BE this year. And I think the new philosophy on O is a step in the right direction. But I need to see it happen again and throughout an entire game to be convinced. I am not going to ignore the past or even the first 3 Qs vs NW.

LOL that makes zero sense what so ever. If Wales is the better blocker then why in the hell did he not play more last year vs Stevens, who was used mainly as a blocker? Why when Wales was in last year did they send him on seem routes and mainly use him in the slot? While Stevens was subjected to mainly dump offs and in a three point stance? And if Wales is the better blocking TE why would we throw the ball to him more often this year LOL. Wouldn't he be taken out in passing situations in favor of Stevens? The Truths that are made up here on a daily basis by peopel pretending to be in the know are hilarious.

LOL that makes zero sense what so ever. If Wales is the better blocker then why in the hell did he not play more last year vs Stevens, who was used mainly as a blocker? Why when Wales was in last year did they send him on seem routes and mainly use him in the slot? While Stevens was subjected to mainly dump offs and in a three point stance? And if Wales is the better blocking TE why would we throw the ball to him more often this year LOL. Wouldn't he be taken out in passing situations in favor of Stevens? The Truths that are made up here on a daily basis by peopel pretending to be in the know are hilarious.

Ummm...Stevens is hurt and didn't play yesterday?

Pretending??? LOL.

Are you really that dumb?

Well you're the one that asked why we would throw more to him and why Stevens wouldn't be in for him. Read your post.

I was wrong about the number of passes last year too. Stevens didn't catch 3x as many. It was 6x. He had 19 and Wales had 3. Stevens often split out, Wales didn't. This year is different like I said because we will not play as much 2 and 3 TE sets and Wales is the better all around TE.

Well you're the one that asked why we would throw more to him and why Stevens wouldn't be in for him. Read your post.

I was wrong about the number of passes last year too. Stevens didn't catch 3x as many. It was 6x. He had 19 and Wales had 3. Stevens often split out, Wales didn't. This year is different like I said because we will not play as much 2 and 3 TE sets and Wales is the better all around TE.

And I thought I remembered another thread on this. Look for Toms posts someplace in here after attending practices.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/grea...ays-tuesday-practice.30443/page-2#post-336430

I don't know how many times last year I was frustrated to see Provo or Stevens split out or in the slot, not Wales, instead of a 3rd WR.

have not read the board but simply i lked the d, and recievers and even the o line did their job. worst call on the day was marrone not going on 4th and 2 near the end zone on the first possesion. he had a chance to make a statement to the team.the d was the best surprise.not thrilled the run game at all

Actually I was looking at the drive charts so that included the PIs and other penalties. At that point we had 324 yards at 4.91 yards per play. For reference last year we averaged 5.13 yards per play. So yards per play we were worse at that point in the game vs last year's average. But you are right we were awesome on O. Totally different. It wasn't just the pace and having more plays. Also we were the same all game despite only getting 4.91 yards per play and then 9.56 yards per play following that point.

I highly doubt that anyone here was happy at that point in the game and thought hey we are going to put up 30+ points and 400+ yards per game. BTW we were also up tempo and used similar plays last year vs USC and WV. The whole WV game and first 35 mins vs USC were much more impressive than the first 3 Qs vs NW.

It is a legit question to ask whether or not the 4th Q was out of necessity or if we will see similar going forward. As well as why we went nuts the 4th Q but not so much the first three. Did it just take awhile for the O to fully hit its stride? Or were we forced to open up due to the deficit? We had 13 points halfway through the 3rd Q against possibly the worst D we will face this year. To say that we were good on O start to finish this game is not telling the truth. If we do it again vs USC I will believe. If we do it against Minny I will believe. But one game where the last 16 mins we got nearly 45% of our yards mainly due to being down 22 points, is not enough for me to say we turned the corner. I hope it is the case but I have had to suffer through the first NW game, the first RU and UConn games, the K St game, and the WV game where it appeared that the corner had been turned on O only to have it not be the case.

I hope that the corner has been turned on O. I really do. If it is then there is no reason why we cannot win the BE this year. And I think the new philosophy on O is a step in the right direction. But I need to see it happen again and throughout an entire game to be convinced. I am not going to ignore the past or even the first 3 Qs vs NW.

It's fine to be skeptical [your point about needing to see it against Minnesota to be convinced], but the rest of your take is clouded by defeatist negativity.

We didn't use uptempo against WV--sorry, that is wrong. What happened was that we played a team with a goofy defensive system that didn't bring a ton of defensive pressure, and enabled us to exploit a singular mismatch over and over and over. That game was a complete fluke, in a year where we couldn't move the ball most games and struggled to sustain drives / score points. A complete anomaly in a year where the offensive production was putrid. Regardless, I don't think that offensive display was anything like what we say Saturday, both in terms of execution, tempo, offensive line play, or WR depth.

USC was a game where our kids were sky high to play a top opponent--I agree that the first half of that game was encouraging, but I'd say it was equal parts us being focused to play and USC looking past us a little. When they intermittently got focused, they burned us for several long touchdowns.

We had more long drives on Saturday than we did all last year [hyperbole, but not by much]. "Only" 4.91 per play? Terrible--can't move the chains that way. And I loved your point from the last post about some drives stalling--as if the offense is a failure if every single play doesn't produce orgasmic bliss and every possession doesn't end in touchdowns. My god, get a grip.

Again, if you watched the game Saturday and came away with the perspective that the offensive display you were watching was "same 'ol, same 'ol" than I don't know what the hell you were watching. Nobody is asking you to admit that the team has turned the corner--that was a completely different thread--and if you want to be skeptical until you have a bigger baseline of performance data to justify forming an opinion, that's fine. But I'd say that there are very few people who share your opinion right now after Saturday. Even board offensive skeptics Millhouse and OttointheGrotto expressed their encouragement after Saturday's performance.

And you are flat out wrong about Stevens--both in terms of his ability level and in leveling the false interpretation that people are saying he is one of the best players on the team. There's a big difference between that and saying that he is one of the top receiving threats, which he unquestionably is [you'll see].

To me the only similarities between the WV game and NW was not the offensse we ran but the defenses we faced suited us perfectly. WV played that what, 3-3-5 passive crap and NW was just plain bad. If you can't rush or won't rush SU you run the risk of Nassib picking you apart. He is too good to give a lot of time. Everybody else came at us, especially in conference games.

Marrone has been saying since day 1 that he wanted more speed and he has some now. Marrone has crossed the Rubicon.There will be bumps ahead but I think it will be fun.

Let me start by thanking the 36 people who played in the golf tournament yesterday. Actually, 35 played, 34 not counting me. Hope everyone had a good time. At this time, the plan is to do it again next year, hopefully with more help and more participants. I won't have the final numbers for a couple of days but we raised something in the range of 300 to 400 dollars for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. Special thanks to DCCuse and Orangeyes for helping me organize and run the tournament. And thanks to the crew at the Links at Erie Village. The course was in fine shape, they did a solid job hosting and the food and service was excellent.

This game was the board tailgate and as such, was unusually well attended. I don't know what the count was, but I would guess it was somewhere about 80 or 90. ESPN came with their cameras and asked permission to shoot the scene for the opening of their telecast. I told them fine...assume they used it on air. They tend to do this for every game they televise at the Dome.

The tailgate was well run. CuseRegular had his famous egg, sausage and cheese breakfast sandwiches going. In addition, there was sausage with peppers and onions and lots of other stuff, including hash browns. Well done to everyone involved.

I had a chance to talk to albanycuse, mantonio, shizzle, and a number of others for the first time and renewed acquiescences with many others. Very good time.

Headed up to the Dome where on the way, I was dissed by Floyd Little. If you have to be dissed, get dissed by a 3 time All American. Thanks Floyd.

Lots of changes this year. Let's start with the most important. 11. That was the number of tubas. We haven't been at double figures for years, so I think this is good news. We must be at a minimum of 12 for our entry into the ACC next year, so we are almost there. Okay, there probably isn't an ACC rule on the minimum numbers of tubas required in the marching band for conference members, but there should be. And the number should be 12.

Didn't see a lot of the half time show so I can't comment on it much. I will say that the band got way out of whack on the national anthem, different sections were seconds apart from each other and the result was quite alarming to the crowd and all animals in the areas surrounding the Dome.

The new video was, I thought, very well done. Did a fine job of getting the crowd into a frenzy just before the team ran on the field. Against all odds, the timing for it was perfect today. 44 is featured prominently in it. That enough would be good for me. Well done Roger.

Really like the look of the ribbon scoreboards but as feared, they were completely wasted as the inept SU staff used them to show the score and time remaining (available in many places already) and to display a series of mind numbing ads. They also have a pyromaniac fetish fire thing they show when they want the crowd to make noise. These boards can and should be used to showing real time statistics like QB throwing stats, RB running stats, yardage and first down info, etc. What a pathetic waste of money. I hope this changes and changes soon.

The two new LED scoreboards are a tremendous upgrade over the 2 crappy ones that were installed about 10 years ago. You can clearly see replays on them, can read text and see what on them from any seat in the Dome. I know because I sit about as far as possible from both of them. They showed a ton of replays and I really enjoyed being able to see what happened on a given play, as if I were at home, while sitting in my seat in the Dome. Thanks Pepsi for paying for these things. Even if you don't make any ginger ale products you backward, flatulent running dogs of imperialism. Kudos to Dr Gross for getting them in. The Dome is now miles in front of the bare bones Dollar Store atmosphere of the Rent and a half a mile in front of unsightly and second rate Alliance KMart Rutgers Stadium, or whatever it is they call it now. My biggest peeve is that I want more stats and I want them real time, all the time and I want them for basketball too so you better get going on it Sala, because I am not a patient man and this needs to get done now.

Was interested in the much improved wireless access in the Dome. Swing and a miss for me anyway. I saw there were several wifi networks I could join, but my attempts to connect failed for a long time. I eventually connected, but the speed was bad. I sit under a vent, next to the opponent's coaching box, and to be fair, it is hard to get a signal in such a confined space, but still, this was a big disappointment. Even when I dropped down several rows, the speed of my connection was bad. This was particularly disappointing because of the size of the crowd.

At kickoff, there were about 20K in the stands. A lot of people were late, especially students, and the crowd later got in the range of 27 or 28K. Props to the students for eventually getting to the Dome. They filled their sections on the lower level and and upper level. Might have been the biggest turnout of students ever for a football game.

That being said, I believe tickets were free, as already mentioned, thousands were not there at kickoff and at least 25% left before the 3rd quarter ended, missing a remarkable comeback.

The people that were there were loud and I think crowd noise played a role in the struggles NW had at the beginning and end of the game moving the ball.

What a strange game it was. Syracuse completely dominates the 1st quarter and ends up trailing by one anyway. NW was not able to move the ball on offense much, our DL was very good early, and it took several freak plays to keep them in the game.

When Nassib, who was brilliant in the first half, threw a screen back a little low to Smith at the start of the 2nd half, and Smith a) did not make a good effort to catch it and 2) did not bother to try and recover the ball that had bounced off his hands even 3) after the NW player who picked it up stopped running and looked around to see what the refs were going to do. TexanMark or LincolnCuse thought Smith would not enter the game again but he did get a few snaps later in the game. Probably lost his starting job and featured role though.

So NW scores 28 straight points to put the game almost out of reach. A lot of people left. And then, it happened. Syracuse suddenly starts moving the ball again, mostly on long passes, and the SU defense, which was very bad in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, becomes stout again (helped by the injury to the NW starting QB, who constitutes approximately 80% of their offense). When the dust had settled, SU answered the 28-0 run and their own 27-0 run and SU had the lead with 2:40 left.

I give NW a lot of credit for marching down the field and getting into the red zone with the SU crowd making so much noise and NW forced to use their 2nd string QB (though truth be told he threw the ball a lot better than the starter and it might have been a good break for them to have him in the game late like he was).

I couldn't bring myself to listen to the radio after and haven't seen any highlights or replays, and haven't read any posts on the board. That being said, I thought the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Lyn was a bad call. There was no intent to injure the player. Yes, he gave him a shove but it was not a hard one and in that situation, late in the game when it is almost impossible to make up a bad call, you don't make that call unless something blatant was done. Still, Lyn was foolish to shove the NW player, it just gave the refs an opportunity to make a bad call and they did. This is not the first time Lyn has done this. He has to learn to control himself. If the call is not made, NW has what, 4th down and about 14 yards to go. The game is over with one more play.

Given that Lemon and Stevens, our two best receivers, both sat out the game, I thought the offense was overall very good. Nassib threw the ball really well until he was injured (I hope it wasn't a concussion). After that, it took a while before he was back to throwing the ball well and during that time, the game really got out of hand. Overall, I thought he had a really good game and looks to be well positioned to have a huge senior season. Watching him run all those option plays was unnerving for me. He doesn't have great foot speed or agility and looked like he was a drunk sailor hurrying to go to pee. But it got the job done. I hope he can stay healthy.

Thought Jerome Smith had a good game other than the fumble/drop/brain fart whatever you want to call it. He has some speed and moves the pile when he makes contact. Wasn't like shovel pass Nassib made to Smith while running for his life that ended up gaining 40 or so yards a thing of beauty? He showed some agility too. Still, that turnover was huge.

Thought Gulley did a nice job too. He did some damage inside and outside, cuts really well and was able to beat his man one on one a couple of times. As Smith and Broyld also did. It is great having RBs this year that can make someone miss in the open field. It is one of the reasons the offense is going to be far better this year than last.

I too was disappointed Broyld did not get more snaps (I haven't read it but I know CuseRegular was unhappy about this). He makes things happen when he gets in the game. But he also missed a block on a play early which caused a running play to lose yardage. He is not where he needs to be or will end up being but even now, he is fun to watch and a player to be reckoned with. I look forward to more Broyld in the future.

Looked to me like we put some new plays in for the game that NW was completely unprepared for. The quick outside pitches did some damage early, despite the efforts of Alexander, who jumped offsides 3 times I think, all on this play. Was really pleased to see us using a no huddle offense, where plays were executed as quickly as we could run them. What a refreshing thing it was to see our offense putting pressure on a defense, catching them in the wrong package sometimes, seeing confusion and panic from time to time. Well done Hackett and DM!

Really liked the new approach with personnel too. I think a fullback might have played a few snaps in short yardage situations, not even sure if that happened. The base formation had 3 WRs out there, which put a lot more speed on the field for Syracuse and gave us the ability to spread the field more and get more open space to throw to. With Lemon and Foster, arguably our best 2 WRs out, along with Flemming, we played 4 WRs in those 3 slots most of the game. Sales, West, Clark and Kobena played a ton of snaps. Thought they did well...we really missed Lemon's downfield blocking and his ability to make big catches over the middle, but our healthy WRs rose to the occasion. Sales played a key role in two interceptions...one was a bad pass by Nassib that was one Ryan. The other...Sales has to hold on to the ball. He had another bad drop but overall, for his first game back in a long while, he did really well and I am happy for him. Thought West did a nice job out there, he can run and he can catch it and is much improved over last season. Clark had a really bad fumble where it looked like he separated his shoulder landing awkwardly, but he was back in the game later and he made some big plays for us. He is really thin and weak, almost didn't get a PI against NW because he did not run hard through a blatant hold from a CB. Good to see him run though, he really can fly. And Kobena made some nice plays, most memorably the big TD late in the game to get us the lead. Thought our WRs looked really tired on the last drive. Wish we had more bodies to play there. Wish we had Broyld out there with his fresh legs.

Thought the OL did a fine job. Alexander had his problems and I think it is going to be a no brainer to move Hickey to RT once Pugh returns. Saw Phillips in there for Lou briefly. Looked like they gave Trudo a lot of work at RG, though Foy played there more than Rob did. Thought both did pretty well though Trudo had an embarassing penalty early on. Thought Mackey had his best game ever. He is bigger now and I think is much more ready to play at this level now. He got cramps and was replaced by Trudo in the series that ended up getting us the lead. Trudo was solid in that series at center by the way. Thought Hickey and Chibane were solid. Impressed Hickey ended up looking like a vet in his first start.

Liked what Wales and Cutler did at TE. Call me crazy but I think Wales is faster and more agile than Provo was last year (pretty sure Nick played hurt most or all of the season). Shame we didn't have Stevens out there against that putrid NW secondary. He could have really done damage after he beat his linebacker. Really glad to see Cutler contributing to the team. He looked genuinely good out there and I hope he continues to get touches as the season progresses. Still can't get enough of super sugar crisps (bear). Hope he is back for USC, along with Lemon and Stevens.

We played a ton of people on defense. We always play a lot of DL and that did not change today but we also played a lot of linebackers, which is something new. Spruill, Diet Tab and Davis started but Vaughn played a lot, and Lynch probably got more snaps than Vaughn did.

Liked what I saw from Brewster, whose sack late almost clinched a victory. I think he is easily our best pass rusher, at least from the DL. Lynch blitzes well and got at least one sack today. For now, I think that is his primary role...blitz the QB in passing situations. He is still small and struggled to get free when a blocker was able to get his hands on him. Vaughn also had a nice sack in a blitzing situation but he also got beat for a TD in man coverage. I thought the NW secondary was bad and not well coached, always putting their hands on our receivers, dragging and bumping on almost every passing play, hence all the PI call on them, but one thing I liked is that when they got burned, they just held their guy and took the 15 yard penalty. We might learn from that sometimes.

Thought Thomas, who also had a sack on a blitz, tackled poorly and was really bothered having to play with one hand. He still made some big plays but a lot of the many missed tackles were on him. Hope he gets that cast off soon. Wilkes made some really nice plays, missed some important tackles too but was in the right place a lot and did okay. Eskridge is a big hitter who is going to knock someone out some day. He is fun to watch but he also, while trying to fireball NW players, missed some tackles badly. Also got banged up badly at one point, but I believe he returned to action later. I believe Eskridge was our Okie out there...I think he replaced Diet Tab when we were in the Okie. NW used 3 or 4 WRs a lot, so Eskridge played a lot and probably had more snaps than Diet Tab did. Thought Diet Tab was pretty quiet.

Was really impressed with our DL early. They tried to run a lot in the 1st quarter and our DL got strong penetration, did not get pushed back and blew up a lot of plays. Bromley and Crume played pretty well. Sharpe, Robinson, Welsh didn't do much. Thought Goggins had a really good game I thought and might have been our defensive MVP.

I think NW saw our DL were doing well against the run and went with a different approach, spreading the field using 3 or 4 WRs almost every set and often running out of that. Their dual threat QB was good and made a lot of big plays for them when they were in trouble. They have some decent WRs and I liked their starting RB but if you stop their QB, they stall out fast. Once he got hurt, they didn't have much to work with.

Overall, I thought our offense was better than theirs. I thought our defense was better than theirs. The difference in the game was special teams. The TD return, the penalties we had, the missed FG, our inability to get good returns on kickoffs compared to them were all key factors in the loss. On the positive side, I thought Norton was terrific, giving him a scholarship was a great investment. And it was great to see us return a punt for positive yardage, even if it was only one time.

This was a devastating loss and it might well cost the team a bowl game. Really disappointed with the way we played the 2nd and 3rd quarters, disappointed with our performance in the red zone, which was awful. I am tremendously encouraged by the comeback and the character the team showed in the 4th quarter. Just watching the team play offense, defense and special teams, the overall speed and athletic ability of this team is leaps and bounds beyond what we have had in recent years, and that is with a number of our best players out.

The margin for error is not as wide as it was yesterday but I really like this team, I like the direction it is going and I think there are going to be a lot more good days than bad days for the program in the near and long term. This was one of the most entertaining games I have seen in the Dome for a long time. I think the people that came enjoyed it and know this team is fun to watch and is capable of having a good year.

Against all odds, I am looking forward to next week in New Jersey. Hope to see you there.

Good writeup and nice finally meeting you. Shenexon as well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom