My two cents Dino | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My two cents Dino

Over Thanksgiving I spent time rewatching most of our games this year and here are my thoughts on the season, the program and Dino.

I consider the year to be a solid success. Starting off with six wins that should have been 7 was an amazing feat given the fact that we had a new OC and QB coach and a very difficult schedule. As injuries piled up, we lost games that I believe we could have and would have won if we had remained healthy. Injuries in my opinion are the main reason that we lost games not coaching. Now that we can look back it is obvious that in addition to the players that were out of games, we also had key players who while they played did so in a limited capacity. Most notably Shrader and Tucker. Losing those two is the single biggest reason that we didn't achieve the number of wins that I believe we would have if they had remained healthy. Sure, every team has injuries. Next man up. But when you are SU, you don't have the luxury of a deep and talented bench. It is what it is and will most likely never change to the degree that we can win against good teams playing our second and third string players as well as having to rely on starters who are significantly limited due to their owies.
Almost every team we played is going to a bowl game. With the exception of Wagner, we didn't have a cream puff on the schedule. In short, we played a gauntlet of tough teams. Week in week out with a depleted team running an offense that they only had spring and fall practice to put in place.
With that as a background getting to 7 wins was looking back a heck of an accomplishment, which brings me to Dino and next steps.

I'm like Sybil when it comes to Dino. Half of us want him out the door the other half want him to finish his coaching career here. After reviewing the season and listening to each of his post-game press conferences again I'm firmly behind giving him an extension. The reason for this is that if he can surround himself with solid coordinators and assistant coaches, I believe that his leadership qualities and his genuine care for his players is critical to the future success of Syracuse football. His ability to retain players is going to be crucial for our program. Keeping our best players in the fold will become his number on priority. As long as he leaves the X and Os to others, he in my opinion is a very good coach for us.

The next key is JW. John has proven that he is 100% commiteed to football being successful. He is heading up the largest and most important improvement campaign for all sports in the history of the school. This will be a game changer for SU as will the NIL groups that have been formed and are growing. Togehter JW and Dino make a great public relations team. Dino has finally embraced the past and in doing so has helped to move the project forward. By retaining Dino we will keep the momentum going.

If we can keep this group of coaches mostly intact and if Dino can continue to build on his culture and retain our key players, the future is bright. I think that we will land in the PIN and end up playing in a well watched and meaningful bowl game. Next year looks very promising. I hope that Shrader returns and that we retain our key players. I can't wait to see what some of the young stars do with another year under their belts and with another year in our systems.
The schedule is going to be tough but should be easier than what we just went through.

God willing, we stay healthy next year for if we do I think that we are looking something special.

Can't wait for the bowl game. What a year what a ride. Let's have a great bowl victory and a solid off season.

Go Orange!

If the losses had piled up in a different order, I don't think I would have been so sullen, honestly.

I thought we had a great offseason. The 6-0 ride was fun as all get out. The losing streak stunk, of course.

But we got seven regular season wins against a difficult schedule.

I want to see another good offseason and with the easier schedule next year, ideally at least one more regular season win (but will be grudgingly probably be fine with 7 again).

I keep having to stay calibrated to what our other options are right now. It's not like Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams were ever going to consider coming to Cuse and sometimes I forget that.

With that said, I do think that Dino should have a healthy nudge from JW on consistently solid play and getting to bowl games. I don't think that is too much to ask.

If the losses had piled up in a different order, I don't think I would have been so sullen, honestly.

I thought we had a great offseason. The 6-0 ride was fun as all get out. The losing streak stunk, of course.

But we got seven regular season wins against a difficult schedule.

I want to see another good offseason and with the easier schedule next year, ideally at least one more regular season win (but will be grudgingly probably be fine with 7 again).

I keep having to stay calibrated to what our other options are right now. It's not like Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams were ever going to consider coming to Cuse and sometimes I forget that.

With that said, I do think that Dino should have a healthy nudge from JW on consistently solid play and getting to bowl games. I don't think that is too much to ask.
I am pretty sure JW gave that talk to Dino last year.

I am pretty sure JW gave that talk to Dino last year.

Oh, for sure. I just mean ongoing. The expectations don't need to be CFP or whatever, but we need to be making bowl games.

Give the CUSE staff Pitt's recruiting and nutrition/strength and conditioning programs, we win 9 games every year.

Well we have lost Queeley and Jackson so far, more than that?

Would be really bummed to lose Shredder and Wax especially.
Ha sorry I haven’t been in much and didn’t see that

Where is Shrader going?

It certainly isn’t the NFL, and why would he give up an ACC starting job ?
Maybe because he values his long-term health and wants to start making a living.

The last 12 minutes at BC really saved the season.

Yeah, we still would have gone bowling at 6-6. But given how the first 48 minutes of that BC game had gone, if it continued that way, it would have been really hard to defend him.

Now that it did happen, the offense showed its former life, the team won 7 games, and he's completely safe.

I get that there are game decisions, clock management decisions, team on field disclipline/penalty issues that need to improve, but end of the day (these days), 7-5 isn't a coach changing season at Syracuse.
I'm never going to forget, or forgive, chucking a Hail Mary on a 4th and forever from the 37 with 30 seconds left in the half. I still can't believe a head coach who has spent his life in football would ever do that. My 15 year old wouldn't do that playing Madden. It's a good thing I'm not the AD because I would have fired him at halftime after that.

But yeah, 7-5 makes him untouchable this offseason.

Ha sorry I haven’t been in much and didn’t see that
Haha all good. Just was concerned there were way more. It's going to be a crazy few weeks. Always appreciate the info.

Give the CUSE staff Pitt's recruiting and nutrition/strength and conditioning programs, we win 9 games every year.
THANK YOU!!!! I have said that so many times over and over about not having a nutritionist on staff and the only program that doesn't have one that doesn't make any sense it looks bad number 2 and like I said before it's it it's a way not a big one but you can like negative you can use that as a negative way to recruit I mean look what happens to us in November every year I don't think that's a coincidence so I would say to Syracuse to get their head out of their asses excuse my language and just do it already I mean what is the freaking big deal I don't understand why they don't do it they got something against nutritionist or something because it makes absolutely no sense to me

THANK YOU!!!! I have said that so many times over and over about not having a nutritionist on staff and the only program that doesn't have one that doesn't make any sense it looks bad number 2 and like I said before it's it it's a way not a big one but you can like negative you can use that as a negative way to recruit I mean look what happens to us in November every year I don't think that's a coincidence so I would say to Syracuse to get their head out of their asses excuse my language and just do it already I mean what is the freaking big deal I don't understand why they don't do it they got something against nutritionist or something because it makes absolutely no sense to me
I mean I got to say if we actually I say we hire one right and this November thing that's been happening to us for God knows how long it seems like forever does not happen so obviously that would be pretty much in my opinion prove that that was pretty much the issue besides you a few injuries here and there that contributed to the losses.
But I mean the way the season pretty much went it look like we just ran out of gas man Clemson we had them on the freaking ropes and second half you know it was that was part of our downfall that was the start right there and Notre Dame overpowered us and I don't even want to mention the other games because it's embarrassing but you know what just for s**** and giggles guys babers whoever the hell is making these decisions just do it and see what the hell happens what the hell you got to lose right said you're freaking job which you already should in my opinion but I'm not the AD. There's no way I could be the Iggy anyway I mean I still have my balls LMAO I'm sorry I had to and to be honest it's a little bit deserving considering what fans are going through with two of the major sports that people actually care about and pretty much the only thing to do in this god-forsaken town so yeah

I mean I got to say if we actually I say we hire one right and this November thing that's been happening to us for God knows how long it seems like forever does not happen so obviously that would be pretty much in my opinion prove that that was pretty much the issue besides you a few injuries here and there that contributed to the losses.
But I mean the way the season pretty much went it look like we just ran out of gas man Clemson we had them on the freaking ropes and second half you know it was that was part of our downfall that was the start right there and Notre Dame overpowered us and I don't even want to mention the other games because it's embarrassing but you know what just for s**** and giggles guys babers whoever the hell is making these decisions just do it and see what the hell happens what the hell you got to lose right said you're freaking job which you already should in my opinion but I'm not the AD. There's no way I could be the Iggy anyway I mean I still have my balls LMAO I'm sorry I had to and to be honest it's a little bit deserving considering what fans are going through with two of the major sports that people actually care about and pretty much the only thing to do in this god-forsaken town so yeah
I’ve heard of a stream of
Consciousness but this was the Mississippi River of Consciousness

Where is Shrader going?

It certainly isn’t the NFL, and why would he give up an ACC starting job ?

This speculation that he is going somewhere else is nuts
He seems very grateful to Babers for giving him this opportunity.

with regard to the dedicated nutritionist, I get it and perception is reality with regard to recruiting and they probably will make the move but I highly doubt a few keenwah salads and some lean proteins are going to do much to improve the overall performance on the field or the injury issues. I think it can help a ton with guys trying to cut weight or add some as well but that takes a ton of self discipline regardless of who is telling you what and what not to eat.

Just my opinion but I highly doubt much changes as they are college kids but it can't hurt by any means and just another move to keep up with the Joneses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom