my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
I bleed Orange have since my first game when I was six years old but i didn't like this match up. In fact, I told a good friend to put 5 figures on NC. Why? Because before each game I give a grade to each starting position. It is weighted based on importance. QB is the most important position and actually the kickers hold a high grade for me. Anyway, we didn't look good at all at any position most importantly the QB position. So, I knew that we were in for a tough game, and we were. With that as a foundation here are some thoughts.

First we are fighting on O with one handabehind our back. We are down our two best receivers and at Syracuse we simply do not have the depth to replace OG and I Jones. If we had those two we are a different team. Second we are down two starting Olines. Same we dont have the depth so we are really up against it when we play superior talented team, especially on the road.

Those are legitimate excuses. Now here are issues that I put on the coaching staff.

Lack of desire. I simply don't see a team that cares as much as they should. I think that the Ohana approach is fine, but I want to see a heck of a lot more fire from Dino and I never have. I want him defending his team and when needed in a player's face. He in my opinion isn't tough enough. I could be wrong given today's kids, but I think he needs to kick some arse.

Other than that, I want to stick with Dino unless he doesn't make a bowl. I stand by what I have posted which is that i think he will do well with the portal world. I think that he has built a good culture and I hope that this staff gets another year to prove itself.

I realize that his record over the last eight years is horrible, but I look at last year as his first in a new chapter. Sorry Homer this is a different book. So, let's see how things play out. Let get seven wins and go to a decent bowl and get better this off season. If he crashes and doesn't make a bowl, he should be fired.

Next week will probably be ugly. Hopefully the kids are competitive.

It's after the bye week that we will see if Dino still has this team.

I hope so.

I agree that you can compare individuals (and individual units) and conclude NC simply has more talent. Did we have an advantage anywhere other than punting and kickoffs?

Now, about “desire” on the part of players or “fire from Dino”. Dino is always cool on the sidelines - that is his personality. It was true in his winning years at BGSU, true in our winning year in 2018. I doubt it is much of a factor in how the team does when the opposing QB and team are more talented.

Do our players have desire? Sure they do. Take Barron, or Darton, or Clark, or Wax. Or Brown and Hatcher. Our OL and RB. The effort is certainly there. Don’t be confusing winning/losing (against a stronger team in all respects) with the desire our players bring.

I agree that you can compare individuals (and individual units) and conclude NC simply has more talent. Did we have an advantage anywhere other than punting and kickoffs?

Now, about “desire” on the part of players or “fire from Dino”. Dino is always cool on the sidelines - that is his personality. It was true in his winning years at BGSU, true in our winning year in 2018. I doubt it is much of a factor in how the team does when the opposing QB and team are more talented.

Do our players have desire? Sure they do. Take Barron, or Darton, or Clark, or Wax. Or Brown and Hatcher. Our OL and RB. The effort is certainly there. Don’t be confusing winning/losing (against a stronger team in all respects) with the desire our players bring.
I saw a team that looked like the same team as last year when the going got tough.Sure we might make a bowl, but we will do so without beating a winning team probably. Bowl eligible doesn’t cut it in my book to keep your job these days.

I saw a team that looked like the same team as last year when the going got tough.Sure we might make a bowl, but we will do so without beating a winning team probably. Bowl eligible doesn’t cut it in my book to keep your job these days.
If you are talking about the results vs NC (or Clemson, or FSU), the team might look much like last year - after the 6 - 0 start.

We would all like better than bowl eligible (6 wins).

Are we the same team? Lacking Williams, Sean Tucker and OG, we are short three key talents, though Allen is very good. I believe we are definitely deeper in most units and the DL has a tad more heft. So, maybe a little more prepared for the final five games. Not clear to me that we have the skill players that most winning teams have.

Above, I was writing about desire. I think we have desire. Tough to show that when fans equate losing with lack of desire.

If you are talking about the results vs NC (or Clemson, or FSU), the team might look much like last year - after the 6 - 0 start.

We would all like better than bowl eligible (6 wins).

Are we the same team? Lacking Williams, Sean Tucker and OG, we are short three key talents, though Allen is very good. I believe we are definitely deeper in most units and the DL has a tad more heft. So, maybe a little more prepared for the final five games. Not clear to me that we have the skill players that most winning teams have.

Above, I was writing about desire. I think we have desire. Tough to show that when fans equate losing with lack of desire.
When our own QB seemed to question who came to play then I have to think there might be a problem

It’s not like Shrader showed up the past two weeks either. He needs to start looking in the mirror. His unwillingness to throw the ball away costs us field position every game. He’s been awful the past two weeks.
Other than 1/2 the Purdue game hes been off all year. His passing has been poor. Forget stats hes missing receivers, has tunnel vision, and is holding the ball too long. His passes for the most part float, lack zip. Hes off.

He was hurt on those bad plays
His passing is definitely off. He's not a good passer to begin with but he has been way off this year so injury makes sense.

Other than 1/2 the Purdue game hes been off all year. His passing has been poor. Forget stats hes missing receivers, has tunnel vision, and is holding the ball too long. His passes for the most part float, lack zip. Hes off.
He’s admitted the surgery has set him back.

He’s admitted the surgery has set him back.
Thats a shame. The hope was it would've helped. His arm strength and accuracy both seem worse.

Thats a shame. The hope was it would've helped. His arm strength and accuracy both seem worse.
He probably couldn’t play with the pain

We can't seem to get the big uglies aka the oline and dline recruits to come here. Until we do we will always be mediocre at best. It starts with the trenches. Those are what separates the good schools from the rest. Being able to recruit big guys on both sides of the line.

We are also down two of our top OLine guys so the O has been beat up all year. Need to go hard after Oline this off season

We are also down two of our top OLine guys so the O has been beat up all year. Need to go hard after Oline this off season
Totall agree. Plus it seems like the Oline is always a shell of itself at this part of the season compared to the beginning. This has been an ongoing problem for the past several years. We need an Oline with sustainable depth.

We went a full 2 deep with bodies on the oline and still really have about 1-2 that should be on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom