My week of court stormings (real and almost-real)... | Syracusefan.com

My week of court stormings (real and almost-real)...

cto

Administrator
At both the Maryland and Virginia games this week, I was sitting three rows in front of huge masses of students from the home schools.

As the Maryland game went down to the wire on Monday with the outcome in doubt, an army of yellow clad security folks surrounded the court and took up crouched "ready" positions. I asked the one in front of me whether they expected a court-storming if Maryland won. "Absolutely," he said, "and you and your friends should not attempt to leave your seats. You will be better off to stay where you are." Well, SU won, so it was not an issue.

At the UVA game today, a security person came over right before the game ended and told us: "They will try to storm the court after the game. When they do, don't move. Stay where you are." So there we were, held captive as the students stumbled out of the stands and onto the court. As it turned out, we were in zero danger, but the guards in both places had obviously been trained to warn people in front of the students of a potential court-storming incident.

Bottom line: I am treating it as positive that students at two separate schools thought that a win over SU was important enough to merit a court-storming. Hey, I try to find a positive in everything.

I don't remember a year when there was more court storming.. I think Charco has something to do with it.. ;)

I agree, CTO. It seems to be a great honor to beat us! (Glad you didn't get trampled.)

I found this on the web and it might be helpful:

Self defense measures for court storming situations:

1 Grab the nearest Gatorade cooler and use it to ward off storming students.

There was more but I figured that might be enough ;)

I found this on the web and it might be helpful:

Self defense measures for court storming situations:

1 Grab the nearest Gatorade cooler and use it to ward off storming students.

There was more but I figured that might be enough ;)

An empty container is no weapon. :)