Mystery and Deceit | Syracusefan.com

Mystery and Deceit

Van111

Starter
As my poll mysteriously vanished form our site that dared ask the question of whether or not one was happy with the hiring of Coach Shafer......this is all I have to say about that!

it wasn't your poll that caused it to be deleted.. I had clicked on it last night around 7:30p and just as I clicked on it, it was zapped. Not sure the comment that caused it though..

Truly, it was never zapped... just moved to the super secret board..

I had a legitimate post about Marrone's snagging of Hackett and my belief that Marrone quit on the program, and someone deleted it. I presume one of the moderators. Being a fan also means being able to deal with the criticism that occurs in this business we call college athletics. Deleting legitimate posts or polls that you don't agree with shows a lack of maturity as well as unjustified censorship. That is an abuse of the power given to these people who moderate these boards. We are all fans here, but don't be a baby if you don't agree with someone's views.

I had a legitimate post about Marrone's snagging of Hackett and my belief that Marrone quit on the program, and someone deleted it. I presume one of the moderators. Being a fan also means being able to deal with the criticism that occurs in this business we call college athletics. Deleting legitimate posts or polls that you don't agree with shows a lack of maturity as well as unjustified censorship. That is an abuse of the power given to these people who moderate these boards. We are all fans here, but don't be a baby if you don't agree with someone's views.
The problem really is the # of posts which critique and don't present new views/information... you could have just as easily piled onto one of the other threads.

I am sure your poll got delete3d because there already was a poll.

shafer

That's not how it works and there is no such thing as abuse of power here. We (6 mods) "try" to keep things somewhat sane here. There are times, like the past few days, where it is more difficult and people get crazy. So when a thread gets over the top, it just might get deleted. There is a way to vent and there is a way to have a little sanity when posting. Some also get deleted because every thread looks the same and people just want their own thread. I think there were about 25 threads deleted last night. We welcome open discussion but we at times draw a line when things get crazy. There is a forum that does allow for anything and everything and we encourage folks to post there if they so choose. I have provided a link below.

syracuse.com

I understand that there is redundancy on these boards, as well as the madness these last few days, however, the thread in question was not redundant with respect to other threads currently in progress. It focused in on Marrone's actions these last few days and how they could potentially lead to his vilification by our fans. It also spoke to the possibility that he may have quit on the school, the program, and us. The dialgue between myself and others in that thread was interesting and civil. There was no reason to do that. Proper discretion was not exercised in this case by the mod who axed that thread.

I understand that there is redundancy on these boards, as well as the madness these last few days, however, the thread in question was not redundant with respect to other threads currently in progress. It focused in on Marrone's actions these last few days and how they could potentially lead to his vilification by our fans. It also spoke to the possibility that he may have quit on the school, the program, and us. The dialgue between myself and others in that thread was interesting and civil. There was no reason to do that. Proper discretion was not exercised in this case by the mod who axed that thread.
Right and many of us responded at the absurdity of such a post since no one would turn down double their salary and a chance at coaching in the NFL to stay at Syracuse. That doesn't make him a quitter. It makes him smart.

Right and many of us responded at the absurdity of such a post since no one would turn down double their salary and a chance at coaching in the NFL to stay at Syracuse. That doesn't make him a quitter. It makes him smart.

So, how do we fix that? If an Alumn won't stay here after some success and run at the first chance of greener pastures, then how do you prevent that? Answer, we don't. Bottom line problem with the Big East was that if a Coach had some success, they were quickly pulled by bigger school programs or the NFL. With the Big East basically defunct, that leads all takers to the ACC now for new and upcoming coaches, at least at our level. Now, if we were a great recruiting program, we would have less to worry about on that front. Our staff has to work their arss off for evreything they get, for the most part, and still all to often that is not enough. My biggest concern with Shafer is not his coaching ability, but how does he improve our recruiting, and what does he do to lure good staff here that continues us forward building on what DM started? I think many of us have concerns and unfortunately it started the day he was hired. If he can duplicate what the Rutgers Coach did last year with even shorter notice, and bring in a few good prospects to boot to close the class, and bring in some proven OC and DC at least, I think all of us will quickly back off and get on board 125%. Another words, we are waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Don't hire one of the most well thought of coordinators in the NFL?
Don't get me wrong, DM was great for the program, and he earned his spot in the NFL. We are a long way off from thinking we could have a Jim B or Sabin type Coach. Maybe those days are way in the past. Maybe we won't see most coaches last for much more than 4 years, but at least lets always leave a team in a better place. Building our tradition and name is important, so on that aspect, I have to say our AD is doing that for the most part. Sure would like Jim Brown back involved in some kind of way. Now that is tradition, along with Floyd. Either way, I am very cautiously optimistic that the more I read and hear about Shafer, we may be in good shape moving forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom