Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Name 3 Coaches That are Available to be our next HC

The only problem with Ditka is he'd give away half the team to get Washington to commit to us again.

I don't know if Coach Ditka has the necessary attention span to handle the gig at this point

I think everyone here right now would take 6-6 this season and a program on the rise with an exciting offense and a coach that understands simple probability with the ability to manage a game at least on par with most Madden-playing 13 year olds.

Obviously Babers would bring in better recruiting classes at SU than he is at Bowling Green. We don't even need much better classes than what we're seeing now. People would be shocked at how "talented" the current roster is with a talented head coach and staff.
we are 2-3 plays away from 6-6 right now as disappointing as the season is.

And a few plays away from 1-8. There really is no way to rationalize away Lester's offense or our secondary.
you have a much harder time getting us to 1-8 than 5-4 though. CMU happened but so much had to go wrong the entire 4th just to get it into OT including have the QB get taken out.

Virg we had half a dozen things go wrong late to not win it multiple times including a facemask that probably ends the game long before all the other stuff. Pitt we trailed for almost none of the game, a fake FG that had at least 3 penalties not called on it and pretty good chance we got OT if not win.. but just reversing the Virg game and 6-6 is still pretty good shot to happen.

if people think play calling is the issue then why do we bother to watch at all. I give up trying to explain the secondary , at least they make a few decent plays a game. but too many mental mistakes to even count.

we are a year away from some of these issues going away whether we get a new coach or not

you have a much harder time getting us to 1-8 than 5-4 though. CMU happened but so much had to go wrong the entire 4th just to get it into OT including have the QB get taken out.

Virg we had half a dozen things go wrong late to not win it multiple times including a facemask that probably ends the game long before all the other stuff. Pitt we trailed for almost none of the game, a fake FG that had at least 3 penalties not called on it and pretty good chance we got OT if not win.. but just reversing the Virg game and 6-6 is still pretty good shot to happen.

if people think play calling is the issue then why do we bother to watch at all. I give up trying to explain the secondary , at least they make a few decent plays a game. but too many mental mistakes to even count.

we are a year away from some of these issues going away whether we get a new coach or not
Lester's offense just doesn't work at this level. That much seems clear. Shafer bet the ranch on it and lost.

you cant have below avg oline play and make an offense work. i dont think below avg is even true for much of what we have seen from this line this year. people need to explain what lester is doing that is different than what many teams do, is this a play calling, play sequence, vs a play execution thing. the last 2 games tghe DBs locked up the WR and the oline is betting blown into the backfield.. but we didnt have trouble moving the ball against Pitt or Virg our peers.. yards and pts do not tell the whole story about why an offense works or doesnt . you put the Pitt kid on syracuse and things would seem much better with the same play calls and pitt would look pretty avg too.

you cant have below avg oline play and make an offense work. i dont think below avg is even true for much of what we have seen from this line this year. people need to explain what lester is doing that is different than what many teams do, is this a play calling, play sequence, vs a play execution thing. the last 2 games tghe DBs locked up the WR and the oline is betting blown into the backfield.. but we didnt have trouble moving the ball against Pitt or Virg our peers.. yards and pts do not tell the whole story about why an offense works or doesnt . you put the Pitt kid on syracuse and things would seem much better with the same play calls and pitt would look pretty avg too.
fredericks and morris have gotten 37% of the carries. i think we ask too much of the HB and that makes them less effective running routes.

pitts top two backs get 53% of their carries.

ishmael and phillips have gotten 39% of the receptions. boyd alone gets 44% of pitt's passes.

too many plays with lots of guys in the box that aren't effective as pseudo fullbacks. on the flip side too many plays with an empty backfield.

too much emphasis on trying to fool people, not enough on getting your best players the ball

pitt can run the ball 6-7 plays in a row, we cant therefor the RB will not get the carries that add up and more carries end up with the QB and the hback.

Boyd gets open. you dont think he would get open here too? if ismael could get open he would get the ball more, Phillips is the outlet guy, the fact he gets the ball so much tells how how open the WR are.

I agree we run plays in the box, but do you actually watch the plays? we run plays with 3-4 WR sets and teams still have 8 in the box and no WR open, you are the OC so what play do you call ? how many times can we throw it deep to Estime and watch him short arm/drop it, or defend it?

dont just use stats, explain what plays we should be running, and assume neither WR can get off the line or get open with press coverage like the last 2 weeks.

the only plays that have worked have been a handful of plays to strickland , some dungey runs, and a handful of RB plays. and the strickland plays work because we have gotten the D to look at the other guys and left him with a weakness to exploit.

do you want to go to the Power I, we dont have 3 TEs so that set is busted for now too.

fredericks and morris have gotten 37% of the carries. i think we ask too much of the HB and that makes them less effective running routes.

pitts top two backs get 53% of their carries.

ishmael and phillips have gotten 39% of the receptions. boyd alone gets 44% of pitt's passes.

too many plays with lots of guys in the box that aren't effective as pseudo fullbacks. on the flip side too many plays with an empty backfield.

too much emphasis on trying to fool people, not enough on getting your best players the ball

Agreed and scheme matters, spent YEARS reading how are receivers weren't fast enough, weren't strong enough, can't beat press coverage ( my favorite) and then in 2012 Sales and Lemon were open all year. SCHEME matters and having heady guys that are well coached and know where they are going. I know I use those two ALL THE TIME, right scheme, right coaches, heady skilled wide receivers who knew what to do. Neither physically imposing super fast or super strong, just good college receivers. Tough too never hurts.

Hire the right coach, right scheme, score points.

I say we hire that High School coach the never punts and always onside kicks. I bet we can get him for under $2MM.

Last edited:
pitt can run the ball 6-7 plays in a row, we cant therefor the RB will not get the carries that add up and more carries end up with the QB and the hback.

Boyd gets open. you dont think he would get open here too? if ismael could get open he would get the ball more, Phillips is the outlet guy, the fact he gets the ball so much tells how how open the WR are.

I agree we run plays in the box, but do you actually watch the plays? we run plays with 3-4 WR sets and teams still have 8 in the box and no WR open, you are the OC so what play do you call ? how many times can we throw it deep to Estime and watch him short arm/drop it, or defend it?

dont just use stats, explain what plays we should be running, and assume neither WR can get off the line or get open with press coverage like the last 2 weeks.

the only plays that have worked have been a handful of plays to strickland , some dungey runs, and a handful of RB plays. and the strickland plays work because we have gotten the D to look at the other guys and left him with a weakness to exploit.

do you want to go to the Power I, we dont have 3 TEs so that set is busted for now too.
your math is weird.

8 guys in the box vs 4 wide = someone is open.

do you not watch the plays. we often play off the slot guy too and then roll a LB out of the box.

do you not watch the plays. we often play off the slot guy too and then roll a LB out of the box.
Is that the nickel back you are referring to or the will cheating?

Agreed and scheme matters, spent YEARS reading how are receivers weren't fast enough, weren't strong enough, can't beat press coverage ( my favorite) and then in 2012 Sales and Lemon were open all year. SCHEME matters and having heady guys that are well coached and know where they are going. I know I use those two ALL THE TIME, right scheme, right coaches, heady skilled wide receivers who knew what to do. Neither physically imposing super fast or super strong, just good college receivers. Tough too never hurts.

Hire the right coach, right scheme, score points.
i don't know why teams just don't shut down tulsa and bowling green with press coverage. 123PRESS!

if you go 4 wide well outside the box and they have 3 guys outside the box...

you dont think if they could play man up they wouldnt against those teams just because they run some spread offense? its no different in the NFL if you have a Revis, then he just lines up and takes the #1 wr out of the game until he cant.

so did FSU not just cover our 2 WR man up almost all game long?

i don't know why teams just don't shut down tulsa and bowling green with press coverage. 123PRESS!

Exactly. Some coaches are just smarter than other as well as better coaches. Everything is rocket science

you dont think if they could play man up they wouldnt against those teams just because they run some spread offense? its no different in the NFL if you have a Revis, then he just lines up and takes the #1 wr out of the game until he cant.

so did FSU not just cover our 2 WR man up almost all game long?
no FSU has great dbs

that doesn't mean we have to spend the whole season doing this goofy expressback nonsense

Exactly. Some coaches are just smarter than other as well as better coaches. Everything is rocket science
tulsa had 433 yards passing against tennessee. i'm sure tennessee's dbs were overmatched against those tulsa wideouts even though haven't given up 300 yards the rest of the season in the SEC

To be fair you have to take into account relative talent

Sort of like D's offense the scheme killed against almost everyone but when they played Miami or Fsu they couldn't overcome the speed on defense