Nassib's fade to Sales | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nassib's fade to Sales

Marrone specifically stated in an interview it was intended to be a back shoulder throw ... me thinks he ran the wrong route.

Marrone specifically stated in an interview it was intended to be a back shoulder throw ... me thinks he ran the wrong route.

And that wouldn't be the first time (for Sales or just about every receiver).

But Sales is a gamer, what're you gonna do?

Thought I heard (mentioned very quickly) on ESPN's broadcast that it was actually a "back shoulder" throw and not a fade. Anyone else hear that?
According to DM, it was not a fade.

He said yesterday that it was a play they had practiced with much success all week. He said Nassib was supposed to throw it on a line and he was surprised when he put some arc on it, because that is typically not a problem with Ryan. He was also supposed to throw it to the outside of Sales, not the inside.

DM was also very disappointed in Sales for his inability to break up the play (even a offensive PI call would probably have saved SU 3 points).

Major failure on the part of both players. Bad call, bad execution, bad everything.

West did a good job playing defense in the end zone on an earlier and deeper throw. I thought West could have been called for offensive PI on that play.

He said yesterday that it was a play they had practiced with much success all week. He said Nassib was supposed to throw it on a line and he was surprised when he put some arc on it, because that is typically not a problem with Ryan. He was also supposed to throw it to the outside of Sales, not the inside.

DM was also very disappointed in Sales for his inability to break up the play (even a offensive PI call would probably have saved SU 3 points).

Major failure on the part of both players. Bad call, bad execution, bad everything.

I know these things happen, but when it happens to two 5th year seniors with tons of experience, that just makes it worse.

Well, DM would be wrong on that. The ball was thrown so far away from Sales that about all he could do was tackle the DB and that may not have dislodged the ball. DM, go back and watch the film.

Whew, I'd hesitate before criticizing Sales (Marrone, not you). Tommy Kane couldn't have gotten a hand on that pass. It was thrown several feet short; the corner is probably no taller than 5'8" and it just about hit him in the numbers.

Sales may have run the wrong route, but I don't see how he could've broken up the pass (short of interfering with the guy).

Whew, I'd hesitate before criticizing Sales (Marrone, not you). Tommy Kane couldn't have gotten a hand on that pass. It was thrown several feet short; the corner is probably no taller than 5'8" and it just about hit him in the numbers.

Sales may have run the wrong route, but I don't see how he could've broken up the pass (short of interfering with the guy).

Yeah, but in that situation just pull the defensive back down. Sure you get a PI but your team still keeps the ball and a shot at a field goal. That is actually one of the things they teach defensive backs- if they get burnt just pull the guy down. 15 yards is better than 6 points.

That is precisely what you are supposed to do in that situation (where a ball is horribly thrown directly to a defender). You make sure they don't catch it by blatently interfering with him. If that happened, then SU would have retained possession and still had a chance for a TD or at least a short FG.

Nassib made a terrible throw. Sales just compounded things by half heartedly trying to break the play up. DM expects his WRs to turn into defenders on balls thrown like that, just as every football coach does.

That is precisely what you are supposed to do in that situation (where a ball is horribly thrown directly to a defender). You make sure they don't catch it by blatently interfering with him. If that happened, then SU would have retained possession and still had a chance for a TD or at least a short FG.

Nassib made a terrible throw. Sales just compounded things by half heartedly trying to break the play up. DM expects his WRs to turn into defenders on balls thrown like that, just as every football coach does.

Agree 100%. Yes, Nassib made a terrible throw, but it is then up to Sales to play DB and maybe even tackle the opposing player to prevent a pick. Take the penalty yards and settle for 3 if you have to. Better than turning it over, yet again, in the red zone and coming away with nothing.

Ryan had a bad game against Pitt. I expect him to play much better. For a WR some routes are easier for the body to adjust to make a defensive play to bail out the QB. On a back shoulder throw the receiver changes momentum and opens his body in anticipation of receiving the ball on his back shoulder. That's a difficult position to be in to then see the ball and to realize it's poorly thrown and then to make an aggressive switch to playing defense and committing pass interference. Sales probably could have done a better job, but it's a long shot that he could have prevented that interception. The play call as a back shoulder throw is fine imo because Nassib makes that throw most of the time.

Very hard to do as Sales was heading for the corner of the endzone expecting, tah dah, a fade! He would have had to reverse direction and then grab the DB who, by that time, would have easily caught the perfectly thrown ball.

Very hard to do as Sales was heading for the corner of the endzone expecting, tah dah, a fade! He would have had to reverse direction and then grab the DB who, by that time, would have easily caught the perfectly thrown ball.
I agree with you; it would have taken a great effort to break up the play. I am passing on what DM said.

Again, it was not a fade, at least not what I consider a fade, where the QB tosses it high and deep to the outside corner for the WR to run under and catch. DM said the ball was supposed to be delivered on a line on the play in question.

If that's supposed to be a back shoulder throw, what the he!! is Wales doing in the flat on that side? Why run an underneath route that brings an additional DB and LB into the lane where you're trying to isolate a WR? If that was not a designed fade, it was a poorly designed play.

No matter what it was, it was an atrocious pass and one that can't be thrown by a 5th year senior QB.

Well one thing we do know, it sure as heck didn't work for SU what ever it was suppose to be. We won, learn from it and improve that play in practice and if they can't please don't ever use it again. How much do these kids work on stuff like this outside of practice?

these guys are acting like it was some 50 yard underthrown pass

if sales could've broken up that pass it would've been a great great play

i don't know what the f people watch here. how fast is someone supposed to turn around and react to a 10 yard pass thrown 2 yards short?

I thought Sales was going away from the ball that was thrown short, hard to come back to that but I just saw it once live.

When I think of back shoulder throws I think of Peyton Manning. Of course, he can throw the fade or the back shoulder, but he is great at the back shoulder throw. He threw one for a TD this weekend against the Pats. I believe he hit Eric Decker on the right side of the end zone. The throw was low and behind Decker, and Decker slowed his forward momentum and came back to receive the ball low or under his left or back shoulder. The key was that the ball was thrown on a line and in a place where the defender could not make a play on the ball. The defender's forward momentum makes it more difficult to come back to defend that pass. The advantage is with the offense because they know it isn't a fade, and they know the receiver is going to change momentum and come back to the ball.

Not sure what you're implying, but I'm nervous about having Hunt, Loeb, Broyld, and two true frosh competing for snaps.

I am not nervous about Zach Allen.

He'll be here in January and seems like a very solid player.

Still intrigued by Terrell Hunt and of course Ashton Broyld.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom