Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you see that the guns were indeed loaded, because if true then illegal, not sure about level of crime in Alabama? Weed probably misdemeanor, loaded guns might rise to felony.
Having a loaded gun in your car is definitely not illegal in Alabama lol. Having weed and a morning after pill in your car will get you tarred and feathered fer sure :)

Where did you see that the guns were indeed loaded, because if true then illegal, not sure about level of crime in Alabama? Weed probably misdemeanor, loaded guns might rise to felony.
From the article linked in the tweet:
"The officers smelled marijuana and asked the three men to exit the car," Taylor told Patch. "Front seat passenger Jaykwon Walton, 21, of Pike Road in Montgomery County, informed an officer of a loaded firearm under his seat. While retrieving the firearm, the officer noticed a rolling tray, a baggie containing approximately 20 grams of marijuana and a half-rolled blunt in the passenger side floorboard."
Taylor then said officers located two more loaded weapons in the vehicle and another baggie containing 12 grams of marijuana that belonged to back-seat passenger Kameron Deshawn Harris, 21, of Bessemer.
As far as I can tell, that's perfectly legal in AlaaaaaaaaBAMA.

tom hanks alabama GIF

It would be make sure they are unloaded. Are you trying to be funny or what, because complying with law is what this is about not any bias you have on firearms or people from Alabama.
It's not the people of Alabama it's the laws of the state.

Not enough info to determine legality of firearms, were they pistols or rifles, loaded or not loaded. If loaded inside a vehicle illegal pretty much everywhere. Transporting unloaded firearms, even several, is generally legal, assuming they are legally owned and not stolen.
Mere presence in a vehicle does not constitute concealment by itself.
Not illegal in Alabama

I don’t believe that’s true. Even in NY if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry your loaded gun in your car. Most assuredly you can in a constitutional carry state.

Last edited:
That has been my understanding but then again, I don't follow it that closely. My wife and I may be the only Alabama residents that don't own a firearm.
Plenty of people don’t own guns in Alabama, I think it’s a little over half the people own guns.

I don’t believe that’s true. Even in NY if you have a concealed carry permit you can carry your loaded gun in your car. Most assuredly you can in a constitutional carry state.
Where was anything said about guns being concealed permit arms. The question was if it was a violation if no concealed carry permit.
Apparently in Alabama, it is neither illegal to have loaded guns in vehicles(insane) nor are permits required for conceraled carry. Then my original question applies, what exactly under Alabama law was the offense relevant to gun possesion?
Why mention guns at all if no gun laws were broken?
Apparently this was a misdemeanor arrest for possesion of weed, and that is all. Much ado about very little, legally speaking

It's not the people of Alabama it's the laws of the state.
Their laws are up to their legislature, not you or I. We may not agree but that is the nature of democratically elected lawmakers. I know their are plenty of laws in NY that I find idiotic.

Where was anything said about guns being concealed permit arms. The question was if it was a violation if no concealed carry permit.
Apparently in Alabama, it is neither illegal to have loaded guns in vehicles(insane) nor are permits required for conceraled carry. Then my original question applies, what exactly under Alabama law was the offense relevant to gun possesion?
Apparently this was a misdemeanor arrest for possesion of weed, and that is all. Much ado about very little, legally speaking
Crazy he got arrested in the first place if it was just a little weed and the gun was legal. I'm sure that misdemeanor charge would have just been a ticket in a heck of a lot of states. You think his age is a factor?

Instead of turning this into a gun thread, the volume that this speaks in regards to Oats is deafening. You just had two players involved in a murder. He should be emphasizing to current players and recruits that they are to keep their noses clean while he's still there. He doesn't care about optics.

Instead of turning this into a gun thread, the volume that this speaks in regards to Oats is deafening. You just had two players involved in a murder. He should be emphasizing to current players and recruits that they are to keep their noses clean while he's still there. He doesn't care about optics.
Welcome to the SEC!

I agree with all that but it’s not what you originally said. You said loaded guns in a car was illegal. It’s not even illegal in New York.

Putting apparently legal guns in the headline was to sensationalize the story.

I don’t think it’s insane to have loaded guns in a car but that’s for a different discussion. If you can legally carry, it would be sort of silly to unload the gun because you’re now getting into your car.

I think he just booted this kid off the team, didn’t he? For an infraction that is a misdemeanor and legal in many states so I’d say he cares about the optics.

Shouting at the clouds here... Oats is winning, therefore no one cares about what the kids do

Regardless of the State's individual gun laws, I think all colleges and universities should have their own code of conduct prohibiting firearms and other weapons from the campus and greater campus area. Further, the rules should not be less strict for a student athlete. I realize that this specific incident was not on campus. NCAA should have even stricter standards. Imagine living in a dorm and having multiple students having guns. I know at least at some point students could lose financial aid and scholarships if charged with certain crimes, such as sale of drugs. Despite legality, I believe SU still prohibits marijuana on campus.

Regardless of the State's individual gun laws, I think all colleges and universities should have their own code of conduct prohibiting firearms and other weapons from the campus and greater campus area. Further, the rules should not be less strict for a student athlete. I realize that this specific incident was not on campus. NCAA should have even stricter standards. Imagine living in a dorm and having multiple students having guns. I know at least at some point students could lose financial aid and scholarships if charged with certain crimes, such as sale of drugs. Despite legality, I believe SU still prohibits marijuana on campus.

I'm sure all colleges have these restrictions and the same is true for drugs and alcohol. Nothing being 'legal' exempts it from being on campus or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom