Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total BS by Alabama and missing these free throws.

Can't believe they only pushed.

I have:

Nets over Wiz - $$$ (Kyrie is my favorite player in the NBA)
Bama -3 over LSU push
Creighton -3.5 over SJU $$$
Lville -7 vs BC
UVA -4 vs Pitt

Almost home.

Last edited:

I have:

Bama -3 over LSU push
Lville -7 vs BC
UVA -4 vs Pitt

Almost home.
What odds?

I have:

Bama -3 over LSU push
Lville -7 vs BC
UVA -4 vs Pitt

Almost home.
Oh man, I almost took bama -4 but I got tied up and didn’t get the bet in. Phew lol

What I was trying to do was take out $200 cash and put enough money on Bengals+Rams parlay for that ticket cash for a grand and then put 20-30 on a 4-5 teamer for hoop games today.

I think the Bucs and Titans are going to get their doors blown off.

The SEC has the money to pay coaches and players. They have been better than the ACC for a couple of years now. Huge discrepancy in TV money is killing the ACC.
Plus the ACC has 4-5 coaches that have been AARP members for a long time. Desperately need new blood at the helm. The ACC is easily the weakest I've seen it in the last 45-50 years.

The SEC has the money to pay coaches and players. They have been better than the ACC for a couple of years now. Huge discrepancy in TV money is killing the ACC.
The ACC commissioners plan is to stop football playoff expansion in the hopes of Notre Dame joining the league as a full member. I guess that's what ESPN told him was the only way the ACC is going to get more dough. I can't see it happening myself, so the ACC members will continue making half of what the B1G and SEC does.

And now Bama knocks off Baylor at home. Crazy team to figure out

Yeah- the one thing about Oats style is it resembles Huggins and WVU. Can be quite inconsistent at times. With more time at this level he will get more consistency I'm sure.

That record is fascinating. You have to put that in the coach, right? He’s got a team that is clearly capable of winning every game against every opponent but yet they have multiple losses against lower tiered teams. Player motivation? Staff attention to detail? Looking ahead? Whatever it is, it’s squarely in the coaches responsibility. Oats is a popular savior figure here but this board would be unhappy with those losses. Very unhappy. Before you say it, yes the wins over top teams are great but those are expected, that’s how this works: the more of those you get, the angrier you are about the losses to non-top teams. Further, the regular season is all that matters, so the loss to Georgia or Davidson will still weigh more than if they get to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

That record is fascinating. You have to put that in the coach, right? He’s got a team that is clearly capable of winning every game against every opponent but yet they have multiple losses against lower tiered teams. Player motivation? Staff attention to detail? Looking ahead? Whatever it is, it’s squarely in the coaches responsibility. Oats is a popular savior figure here but this board would be unhappy with those losses. Very unhappy. Before you say it, yes the wins over top teams are great but those are expected, that’s how this works: the more of those you get, the angrier you are about the losses to non-top teams. Further, the regular season is all that matters, so the loss to Georgia or Davidson will still weigh more than if they get to a Sweet 16 or Elite 8.
Is Alabama basketball relevant within national scene in the regular season?

Outside of beating Zion at Cameron we have to go back to the 2016 Battle for Atlantis for Syracuse Basketball to relevant during the regular season.

Nate Oats and Alabama will are 14-7 and will be ranked this week.

They lost bad games but have a lot of good wins.
So Alabama basketball has the same expectations as Syracuse basketball?

Alabama doesn’t expect to beat 3 top 10 teams in the regular season.
This is the first team in program history they did that.

I don’t even want Oats as the next Hc but he is doing a way better job than our HC this year.

We are under .500 last time I checked. That js what Alabama basketball had been doing before Oats got there.

I think the appeal of Oats is his ability to attract high level talent. He has done a good job of recruiting HS talent and through the portal as well. That aspect has been sorely lacking up on the Hill for several years now. Oats will never be a savior figure for SU cuz there is no way we pay him more than what he makes with the Tide.

Last edited:
One other reason for Alabama's inconsistency is that they lost several key frontcourt players from last year's team - Herb Jones, John Petty and Josh Primo. Primo and Jones were drafted.

Davidson is a legitimately very good team, on many levels.

Iona is no joke. Rick P can coach.
I get that. They almost beat them in last year's NCAAT. It's just that Bama has beaten teams much more highly regarded than either Iona or Davidson.

Btw I have a +50,000 ticket on Iona to win it all. Of course I don't think they have a chance but at 500 to 1 odds I can do some attractive hedging.

This Alabama team reminds me a bit of the teams we had with Jonny Flynn. They can beat anyone, but will have losses that leave you scratching your head.

One weakness I see in Oats style of play is his teams tend to lack inside scoring and they tend to struggle in games they can’t get up and down.

This Alabama team reminds me a bit of the teams we had with Jonny Flynn. They can beat anyone, but will have losses that leave you scratching your head.

One weakness I see in Oats style of play is his teams tend to lack inside scoring and they tend to struggle in games they can’t get up and down.
That sounds like JB’s teams from years ago. If we we forced to play half court we struggled.

They're 18th on KenPom. They were much better defensively last year which I think partly explains why their record isn't as good as expected.

Is Alabama basketball relevant within national scene in the regular season?

Outside of beating Zion at Cameron we have to go back to the 2016 Battle for Atlantis for Syracuse Basketball to relevant during the regular season.

Nate Oats and Alabama will are 14-7 and will be ranked this week.

They lost bad games but have a lot of good wins.
So Alabama basketball has the same expectations as Syracuse basketball?

Alabama doesn’t expect to beat 3 top 10 teams in the regular season.
This is the first team in program history they did that.

I don’t even want Oats as the next Hc but he is doing a way better job than our HC this year.

We are under .500 last time I checked. That js what Alabama basketball had been doing before Oats got there.

This may be true but I’m simply talking about the coaching aspect of Alabama’s performance. You’re shuffling the goal posts around some. Since you brought it up though, I will wager a small amount that you could count on one hand how many times Syracuse has beaten 3 Top 10 teams in a season. If you think that is the expected standard that we should consider minimally acceptable it might explain your dissatisfaction with our program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom