Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
He brought Miles’ gun to Miles. And it appears that’s where is involvement ended.

Didn’t the prosecutor say there is nothing to charge him with?

So, what exactly do we want Miller suspended for and what does that accomplish? It doesn’t sound like he committed a crime. I don’t think the code of conduct would say, ‘don’t give somebody their own property and don’t be around if somebody gets shot.’

He brought Miles’ gun to Miles. And it appears that’s where is involvement ended.

So, what exactly do we want Miller suspended for and what does that accomplish? It doesn’t sound like he committed a crime. I don’t think the code of conduct would say, ‘don’t give somebody their own property and don’t be around if somebody gets shot.’
“Property”, lol.

This is a little different than bringing him his phone charger or something.

“Property”, lol.

This is a little different than bringing him his phone charger or something.

It’s Alabama. Is it that different? For that matter, I don’t think a university would have a code of conduct that says don’t be around legally owned/registered firearms. I’d imagine there would be lawsuits if they did, regardless of the state.

It’s Alabama. Is it that different? For that matter, I don’t think a university would have a code of conduct that says don’t be around legally owned/registered firearms. I’d imagine there would be lawsuits if they did, regardless of the state.
Yes. You get a request to bring someone their gun, and you’re not asking any questions? Lol.

He blocked the street too. I’d say there’s some questions that are unanswered.

And not for the better. The defense used to have to cover the whole forecourt, from 20 feet in. Now they just have to guard the arc and the paint.
Ridiculous statement. Do you see defenses abandoning all that space? You still have to cover: floaters and running bank shots from >10' feet out remain a staple of the game at high level varsity high school and up. Our own 2-3 zone is susceptible to foul line / midrange jumpers, and when we adjust to cover those we yield back cuts / short corner drop offs. Buddy went to the midrange turnaround multiple times every game. It's still there, just not as prevalent.

Now that the art of shooting from distance has been mastered by so many players - and shooting mechanics from base through follow through have evolved such that the 3 point shot has been weaponized - it yields a game that's just as aesthetically pleasing as the game you're so anachronistically clinging to. We now have far greater space and off ball movement. Less dependent on Iso ball. Why work for a contested midrange or congested post play when we have space to cut, drive, or kick out? So what if most of the scoring is optimized for efficiency? I'm of the opinion we should appreciate the game's growth rather than pine unrequitedly for the style we 'grew up with'.

Yes. You get a request to bring someone their gun, and you’re not asking any questions? Lol.

A request to bring somebody their own gun? Why would I ask questions? Why would I be obligated to ask questions? It’s their gun. And it sounds like Miller was already on his way to meet Miles. So what was he going to do? Turn around and tell Miles he can’t have his gun?

After watching the Cocaine Cowboys and Murdaugh documentaries it would not surprise me at all if someone was paid off or purposely looking the other way here. The justice system tends to only apply to people who don’t have power until it‘s impossible to look the other way.
This is unfortunately very true. It’s not just Alabama (or South Carolina). Lady Justice in America is definitely not blindfolded. Her eyes are wide open and she threw away the scales and has her hand in the deepest pockets she can find.

A request to bring somebody their own gun? Why would I ask questions? Why would I be obligated to ask questions? It’s their gun. And it sounds like Miller was already on his way to meet Miles. So what was he going to do? Turn around and tell Miles he can’t have his gun?
Why can’t they get their own gun?

He blocked the street too. I’d say there’s some questions that are unanswered.

He was parked on the side of the street and the victim pulled in behind him and parked on the side of the street.

I don’t think that equates to blocking the street.

Why can’t they get their own gun?

I don’t know. I don’t think that matters, though.

Did Miller go get the gun or was it already in the car?

He was parked on the side of the street and the victim pulled in behind him and parked on the side of the street.

I don’t think that equates to blocking the street.
The article I read this morning said he was blocking the car. Maybe the piece I read this morning was an exaggeration then.

You don’t think he had just an inkling that he was planning on using it?

Who knows. Based on the language of the text, it’s most likely he wanted to brandish it. Tough guy type stuff.

He could have wanted it for self defense. In that context, using the gun would be legal.

Most people assume their friends aren’t going to be involved in the murder of people. The language of the text didn’t indicate Miles was going to murder somebody or facilitate the murder of somebody.

The article I read this morning said he was blocking the car. Maybe the piece I read this morning was an exaggeration then.

It was reported that way (blocking) initially. Articles in the last day or so have updated it, from what I’ve read.

There is supposedly pretty clear video of the entire scene. Supposedly.

It was reported that way (blocking) initially. Articles in the last day or so have updated it, from what I’ve read.

There is supposedly pretty clear video of the entire scene. Supposedly.
That’s what his attorney is saying….I guess we’ll see.

Who knows. Based on the language of the text, it’s most likely he wanted to brandish it. Tough guy type stuff.

He could have wanted it for self defense. In that context, using the gun would be legal.

Most people assume their friends aren’t going to be involved in the murder of people. The language of the text didn’t indicate Miles was going to murder somebody or facilitate the murder of somebody.
I don’t think self defense will wait for someone else to bring you your weapon.

Who was it who said nothing good happens after midnight? That should be in every teams code of conduct.

I don’t think self defense will wait for someone else to bring you your weapon.

Who was it who said nothing good happens after midnight? That should be in every teams code of conduct.

Arguments at the club don’t always stay at the club. If your friend is coming to get you and you just got into a confrontation, it wouldn’t be weird to ask your friend to being your gun (or make sure the gun is still in their car). You never know if/when people you fight with are going to come get you. That’s not a world I live in but it is a world some people certainly live in.

It was ultimately the case that Miles and Davis were the problem. They were the bad guys. I just don’t see how or why Miller should be held accountable for any of it.

Arguments at the club don’t always stay at the club. If your friend is coming to get you and you just got into a confrontation, it wouldn’t be weird to ask your friend to being your gun (or make sure the gun is still in their car). You never know if/when people you fight with are going to come get you. That’s not a world I live in but it is a world some people certainly live in.

It was ultimately the case that Miles and Davis were the problem. They were the bad guys. I just don’t see how or why Miller should be held accountable for any of it.
Yeah, as I’ve said before, way too many unknowns in this one for me to take a stand either way.

Miller essentially got a hockey assist. He gave the gun to Miles, who gave it to the shooter. But, alas, there are no hockey assists in basketball.

That big NBA $ bonus will b a juicy target in the coming wrongful death suit

But for the presence of the gun there is no death. Miller solely responsible for the gun being on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom