Nate Oats and Alabama | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Nate Oats and Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive never seen any civilian in Vermont carrying in my almost 23 years here. No one I’ve met has talked about their guns here, except one crazy guy who moved to Florida with his 2 ars, but mostly for the swinging scene. I’ve seen multiple civilians in bama carrying, and have talked to multiple coworkers down there about their guns, unbidden by me. That’s the cultural difference I have actually seen.

Does it make me comfortable knowing anyone in a bar here in Vermont can have a concealed weapon, heck no. But sometimes out of sight, out of mind is good enough.
I grew up in VT, agree. There's hunting culture in VT, but people don't brag about guns they way do in other states. They also don't feel threatened.

Every team that dares to give is a competitive game (god forbid beats us) in the Dome out of conference are always punks with no class or ethics or whatever the hell. Its getting old hearing the same thing over and over again we can't even lose with honor.
It was more than just them beating us.

Dave Meggyesy wrote of a player on the national championship team who got drunk, heard that there was a party at a particular apartment downtown and he hadn't been invited. He went to what he thought was the right address and pounded on the door, demanding to be let into the party. He was at the wrong address. the resident was a dentist by trade and a fencer by advocation. He took a sward with him to see who was pounding at the door. He's won several championships but had never used a sword at intentionally hurt anyone. He hesitated. The football player grabbed him by the wrists and broke both of them, the sword falling to the floor. The football player beat up the dentist, only stopping when he was finally convinced he was at the wrong place. He was later arrested but never prosecuted and the whole thing was hushed up so the guy could keep playing for SU.

That was probably SOP in those days. These days, it's hard to hush things up, especially when someone is killed.

Dave Meggyesy wrote of a player on the national championship team who got drunk, heard that there was a party at a particular apartment downtown and he hadn't been invited. He went to what he thought was the right address and pounded on the door, demanding to be let into the party. He was at the wrong address. the resident was a dentist by trade and a fencer by advocation. He took a sward with him to see who was pounding at the door. He's won several championships but had never used a sword at intentionally hurt anyone. He hesitated. The football player grabbed him by the wrists and broke both of them, the sword falling to the floor. The football player beat up the dentist, only stopping when he was finally convinced he was at the wrong place. He was later arrested but never prosecuted and the whole thing was hushed up so the guy could keep playing for SU.

That was probably SOP in those days. These days, it's hard to hush things up, especially when someone is killed.
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Wait what? This was the 1959 team?

Not a source I would put a lot of faith in.

I need to stop giving tidbits that could reveal my identity.

Fortunately, there are a lot of big nasty jons in their 20s.

Edit: just to stay on topic (as you folks know that’s important to me) I’d pass on Oats at SU now. Always gave me Doug Gottlieb vibes.
How? Oates is a winner.

Would seem to violate any school, team, or program’s athletic code of conduct.
Football (now basketball) factory sliding scale depending on depth chart.

You have way more faith in the Tuscaloosa justice system than I do.
At some point can't the state or feds step in if there is corruption at the podunk level?

There’s no ncaa rule again murder. You just can’t skip fencing class

"Wheelhouse."
Correct. There is no rule and it's not in the NCAA's wheelhouse because the members schools will not allow the NCAA or any organization like them to get involved with the disciplinary process of their school. Just as the schools will only allow the accrediting organizations to get involved in what is or isn't a legitimate course. Much to everyone's dismay, UNC was able to skate by only because the fratty boys found out about the easy As and started taking the courses, too. The UNC administration knows it.

Yes, it's murder case, but that doesn't change the fact the NCAA is still forbidden to do anything about it. I know I'm probably screaming into the wind with SU folks when it comes to the NCAA, but let's castigate them for things that they screw up when they are allowed to deal with them, like uneven enforcement.

Oh, and it's not "skip fencing class", it's "flunk fencing class."

Last edited:
At some point can't the state or feds step in if there is corruption at the podunk level?
Sure, the state can step in. Bama is owned part and parcel by the state. I imagine that Oates has part of his salary as a line item in the state's budget for the school (just as Saban does for $100K) so the president can fire him as a state employee if the AD won't. That said, will the state step in? I'm not holding my breath.

After watching the Cocaine Cowboys and Murdaugh documentaries it would not surprise me at all if someone was paid off or purposely looking the other way here. The justice system tends to only apply to people who don’t have power until it‘s impossible to look the other way.

After watching the Cocaine Cowboys and Murdaugh documentaries it would not surprise me at all if someone was paid off or purposely looking the other way here. The justice system tends to only apply to people who don’t have power.
I read the first few words as “Cocaine Bear” and was so confused.

Agreed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors