UConn has 3 (2 are SU and Pitt)

USF has 3 (2 are Pitt and FSU)

Temple has 2 (SU and Army)

Louisville has 3 (1 is UNC)
Rutgers has 1

ABC/ESPN definitely sending a message.

h/t orangecrush22

The ACC isn't stupid.

Perfect illustration of what I've said all along. National brand--Pitt and Syracuse are national brands. UCONN and Rugters aren't.

But Keep Choppin' guys.
:rolling:

Perfect illustration of what I've said all along. National brand--Pitt and Syracuse are national brands. UCONN and Rugters aren't.

But Keep Choppin' guys.
:rolling:
more like perfect example of a business flexing their muscle to people who pissed them off for not agreeing to terms, and favoring those who didn't

ESPN to Big East - "You want to go down that road? Fine, we can make your life pretty miserable"

more like perfect example of a business flexing their muscle to people who pissed them off for not agreeing to terms, and favoring those who didn't

ESPN to Big East - "You want to go down that road? Fine, we can make your life pretty miserable"
Maybe, but in my experience in the TV advertising business, emotions don't factor in. Whatever game I can charge the most for ads on, I put on the air.

Maybe, but in my experience in the TV advertising business, emotions don't factor in. Whatever game I can charge the most for ads on, I put on the air.
yeah, but when billions of dollars are at stake, emotions come to play... at least in my experience

yeah, but when billions of dollars are at stake, emotions come to play... at least in my experience

Money has no emotions. What company would miss out on potential profits just to prove a point?

But what if all of the Rutgers fans leave their TV sets on?

Money has no emotions. What company would miss out on potential profits just to prove a point?

my point is, if you take away the coverage from a team, you take away some of the fanbase/value. ESPn can diminish the value of the BE by removing a lot of the coverage, so when the BE goes to negotiate they don't have a lot of stats to prop their value up on (i.e. viewership)

there is a reason there are so many notre dame fans across the country compared to how many actually have a relation to the school (i.e. alum, grew up in the area). Notre Dame is on tv all the time.

same reason why there are so many yankees and giants fans in upstate ny. they were the only team you could watch before cable.

also, ESPN doesn't lose out on profits from not showing the BE teams. ESPN just shows another game in its place that would generate the same revenue. can't be too hard for ESPN to do

my point is, if you take away the coverage from a team, you take away some of the fanbase/value. ESPn can diminish the value of the BE by removing a lot of the coverage, so when the BE goes to negotiate they don't have a lot of stats to prop their value up on (i.e. viewership)

there is a reason there are so many notre dame fans across the country compared to how many actually have a relation to the school (i.e. alum, grew up in the area). Notre Dame is on tv all the time.

also, ESPN doesn't lose out on profits from not showing the BE teams. ESPN just shows another game in its place that would generate the same revenue. can't be too hard for ESPN to do

The fact that there are other games they could show at the same revenue shows there isn't a huge amount of value to diminish in the first place. What matters to them is eye's on the TV, not so much the names of the team generating the ratings. If University X draws 2x what University Y does, they're going to air University X.

ESPN should be doing everything they can to squeeze every dollar out of it's exsisting contract since there is no certainty that they will get the next one. If FOX or another company decides to swoop in, then ESPN will have wasted their own money to devalue a product that they aren't even gaurenteed to retain at the new lower value. If the current BE schools feel slighted by ESPN, they would be more apt to take similar money elsewhere to feel like their product potential is being maximized.

i don't disagree
The fact that there are other games they could show at the same revenue shows there isn't a huge amount of value to diminish in the first place. What matters to them is eye's on the TV, not so much the names of the team generating the ratings. If University X draws 2x what University Y does, they're going to air University X.

ESPN should be doing everything they can to squeeze every dollar out of it's exsisting contract since there is no certainty that they will get the next one. If FOX or another company decides to swoop in, then ESPN will have wasted their own money to devalue a product that they aren't even gaurenteed to retain at the new lower value. If the current BE schools feel slighted by ESPN, they would be more apt to take similar money elsewhere to feel like their product potential is being maximized.
i don't disagree with your logic, but i think ESPN would take it one step further, which i am trying to allude to. assume the BE tv contract runs through 2015 (or 3 years), and ESPN values the contract at $300M a year ($600M in total), and gives the big east $50M a year (or $150M). however, in the next 7 years ESPN still values the contract at a present value of $300M per year, and knows they would have to give the BE $150M a year if they agreed to a contract right now (BE wants a bigger slice of the bigger pie, as do most). since the ESPN knows the contract is a profit of $150M a year, and the BE said no to them to negotiate with other networks, ESPN could try to kill the value of the tv contract (i.e. less viewers = less leverage for the BE), so that when negotiations open, the BE is only worth $200M and the BE can only get $100M max.

if you are ESPN, and there is $300M of value out there that your competitor can steal from you, and you have essentially been told you are going to lose the contact (BE told ESPN we will bid out), would you not try to steal some of the value (i.e. help initiate the move of Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC since they add some of the most value, and diminish the viewership of the BE which means lower ad dollars). by lowering the add dollars, you are lowering the potential ad revenue NBC sports and CBS has to play with, making it tougher for them to operate. in theory, some of the $300M should be going to ESPN anyways since they could replace the UCONN vs. Rutgers game with a game from another conference they have a contract with, and SU and Pitt are going to ACC (which ESPN holds contract with). if you are ESPN, and you don't feel you can get the contract extended or there at least risk you will lose the contract, you don't want to let NBC or CBS take the $300M in value you helped to create.

again, this is just from my experience and schooling, but your's might be better. not saying your logic is off, cause in most cases i would agree with it, but not when big money/egos is at stake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom