NBA 2018-2019 | Page 171 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

This Pelicans-Lakers trade being completed on July 6th rather than July 30 will cost the Lakers from 32.5 million cap space to 25 million.
Which means they won’t be able to max any FA.

Pelicans want their pick to play in the summer league and to get their business started.
That is why a Chris Paul trade makes more sense.

Way to play hardball, Rob. SMH.

Completely alters my perception of the trade. I assumed the plan was Davis and max cap room. Davis is also saying he won’t waive his trade kicker. The Lakers will have approx 23.6 mil in cap space.

Last edited:
Completely alters my perception of the trade. I assumed the plan was Davis and max cap room. Davis is also saying he won’t waive his trade kicker. The Lakers will have approx 23 mil in cap space.

We’ve only got like 5 players signed.

Gonna be LeBron, AD, and a bunch of ring chasing old guys.

Frankly, I find it hard to get into that. A big Larry David “Eh”, to all of this.

It's probably better for them.

The 3rd star LeBron "needs" ends up being the player that sacrifices the most. We've seen twice now in Bosh and Love that the 3rd star gets marginalized. Who wants to sign into that?

They're a lot better off actually getting competent role players.

We’ve only got like 5 players signed.

Gonna be LeBron, AD, and a bunch of ring chasing old guys.

Frankly, I find it hard to get into that. A big Larry David “Eh”, to all of this.

Redick, Ariza, probably mandatory that we take KCP... They will need to spend that $ wisely.

Kuzma for CP3 is going to happen IMO.

Just a sneaky move I see happening.

Is there any way the Lakers could pull off this, cap wise?

Re: Kuzma, moreso than his production, the question is one of whether he's one of LeBron's boys.

Pretty clear all the guys traded away were not.

I would think he has to be, because of how insistent the Lakers were on keeping him.

It's probably better for them.

The 3rd star LeBron "needs" ends up being the player that sacrifices the most. We've seen twice now in Bosh and Love that the 3rd star gets marginalized. Who wants to sign into that?

They're a lot better off actually getting competent role players.

An interesting point to this also I saw pointed out somewhere on twitter; both those guys you mentioned were big guys. Granted, they were the third guy as opposed to the second, but Lebron hasn't exactly maximized and gotten the most out of those 2 big guys. Davis is a big guy, maybe he won't totally maximize what Davis is capable of?

Danny Green
Ariza
Redick

Those are the guys the Lakers will explore going after.

Kawhi ain’t playing with LeBron. He’s won two titles without him.

I'm sure Kawhi likes Bron well enough, but I cannot imagine a scenario where Kawhi goes to a team with the kind of ownership/management/coaching/Bron-related insanity that exists for the Lakers.

I don't care who they have on the roster, playing for that team is going to be an never-ending soap opera.

Is there any way the Lakers could pull off this, cap wise?

I would think he has to be, because of how insistent the Lakers were on keeping him.
I think since the Lakers are under the cap the dollars don’t have to even on a trade.
So whatever cap space they have minus whatever Paul is due would have to be the money sent to Houston.

Or they find a 3rd team with cap space to help facilitate the trade.

Also the 2021 pick the Lakers sent to Pelicans is top 8 guaranteed or it rolls to 2022 unprotected.

Griffin did well with these picks and pick swaps.

Re: Kuzma, moreso than his production, the question is one of whether he's one of LeBron's boys.

Pretty clear all the guys traded away were not.

LeBron and Lonzo are pretty tight and Lonzo was on LeBron’s HBO show and LeBron has already taken Garland, who they would’ve taken at 4, under his wing so I don’t think this is true.

The LeBron hate pushes a lot of narratives that aren’t really supported by facts.

LeBron and Lonzo are pretty tight and Lonzo was on LeBron’s HBO show and LeBron has already taken Garland, who they would’ve taken at 4, under his wing so I don’t think this is true.

The LeBron hate pushes a lot of narratives that aren’t really supported by facts.
Oh, and believe me, I'm front and center on the LeBron hate. I don't really need facts.

An interesting point to this also I saw pointed out somewhere on twitter; both those guys you mentioned were big guys. Granted, they were the third guy as opposed to the second, but Lebron hasn't exactly maximized and gotten the most out of those 2 big guys. Davis is a big guy, maybe he won't totally maximize what Davis is capable of?
I think there's a chance of that.

Well they aren’t with the Lakers anymore so...

And yes I stated earlier in this thread I’m going to hate hard.

LeBron is a good person and great off the court.
That is unmeasurable how good he has been to the community he is from.
I don’t hate the guy but he isn’t better than Jordan.
That is where I would be against him.
He has diva attitude like he deserves every call as well but that is just every millennial these days.

Lakers need ring chasers/buyout guys as their depth is going to suck.

Lakers need ring chasers/buyout guys as their depth is going to suck.

If they don’t have the cap space for a third guy (which is shocking Pelinka would agree to that trade without locking that in) and have to use their room on role players that’s going to be tough. Maybe people take a discount for a chance at a ring but I feel like role players are going to be expensive this summer.

Well yea I mean you have to trade somebody away to get Davis and there were only like 5 guys they actually still had under contract.

I think since the Lakers are under the cap the dollars don’t have to even on a trade.
So whatever cap space they have minus whatever Paul is due would have to be the money sent to Houston.

Or they find a 3rd team with cap space to help facilitate the trade.

I don't see a way for it to work if the AD trade is set for 7/6. They'd have to give up Kuzma & Wagner along with the $25-$29m in cap space to get it to the 125% rule as it would also be taking them over the cap. Also would just make 0 sense because it would leave them only to dig through the leftovers in FA instead of making a play at 1 tier 1 guy or a couple tier 3s.

It certainly makes sense in theory but I don't see a sensible way to get there.

My finger in the air guess -

Ricky Rubio and Danny Green

Green's been there, done that.

Rubio makes for an excellent scapegoat.

My finger in the air guess -

Ricky Rubio and Danny Green

Green's been there, done that.

Rubio makes for an excellent scapegoat.

Would be kind of amazing if after the Lakers had no shooting last year, they go out and get Davis and Rubio as two of their big splashes.

I think if it were me I’d probably focus on building depth and shooting around Lebron and AD rather than signing someone to a max deal that likely doesn’t give you max player production.

I’d rather chase Pat Beverly and one or two other solid guys than to sign Kemba for example.

Jonas Jerebko, Kent Bazemore are guys who would take less money to sign with the Lakers.
Bazemore just got paid from the Hawks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom