NBA 2018-2019 | Page 172 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I think since the Lakers are under the cap the dollars don’t have to even on a trade.
So whatever cap space they have minus whatever Paul is due would have to be the money sent to Houston.

Or they find a 3rd team with cap space to help facilitate the trade.

They need to be under the cap when the trade is over. And aren't they taking Davis into cap space? Anyway I don't think there's any way they can trade for Paul

They need to be under the cap when the trade is over. And aren't they taking Davis into cap space? Anyway I don't think there's any way they can trade for Paul

That’s too bad. I was rooting for that to happen.

Kevin O’Connor reporting that the Lakers plan to pursue Kawhi lol

I would be WILDLY surprised if Kawhi went to the Lakers.

A team run by Nike and Klutch, no depth, the traveling paparazzi show, a coach who is teed up to be pushed out if he doesn't start out 8-2, management and ownership that is a hot mess...

Toronto has a stable ownership group, Masai and Nick Nurse plus depth out the wazoo. If he goes to the Clips, they have a great owner (who doesn't have the majority of his wealth tied directly to the team and can basically purchase the moon if he'd like), great coach, good players and less pressure than he would have on the Lakers.

I will say - if Kawhi went to the Lakers (and, again, I absolutely do not think this is a possibility) and Kawhi won a title and FMVP, again, I mean, he would vault into a discussion about being in the top 10 players of all time. I don't care what his resume looks like against other players.

Yeah, I don't expect them to actually get him.

If I were in the Lakers shoes, assuming I can't get Kawhi, I think I'd probably just focus on building depth/shooting around that team rather than signing someone like Kemba/DeAngelo/Middleton (if they could even convince those guys to sign there in the first place)

The Lakers can't even offer a max salary to another player.

I don't think they'll be able to get to a max slot, but they can get pretty close; possibly close enough to convince someone to take a slight discount. We'll see.

Major grain of salt required, but Damon Jones was saying on ESPN that he's been told Kawhi is very interested in the Lakers if they can find a max slot. Says it's between Toronto and the Lakers for him at this point.

I don't think they'll be able to get to a max slot, but they can get pretty close; possibly close enough to convince someone to take a slight discount. We'll see.

Major grain of salt required, but Damon Jones was saying on ESPN that he's been told Kawhi is very interested in the Lakers if they can find a max slot. Says it's between Toronto and the Lakers for him at this point.

That's Lebron's boy helping him with the recruiting of Kawhi. If Kawhi want's to be relegated to a catch and shoot jump shooter that would be extremely disappointing. You know the ball will be in Lebron's hands all the time.

That's Lebron's boy helping him with the recruiting of Kawhi. If Kawhi want's to be relegated to a catch and shoot jump shooter that would be extremely disappointing. You know the ball will be in Lebron's hands all the time.

Yeah, I don't really buy it at all personally. I really can't imagine Kawhi wanting to play there.

so in 2 years when LeBron is aging about as gracefully as Kobe did his final years - what is the Lakers plan? The current plan is LBJ doesn't slip in performance, and if he does he will suddenly work his game into the game of a better player? Does anyone truly see that happening? LeBron operating as "not the best player on the team" does not seem like it is going to be a good fit. I get the win now and worry about the future later but there are some serious questions IMHO.

I think it would be more than a slight discount. The Lakers are only going to have around $23 million in cap room.

so in 2 years when LeBron is aging about as gracefully as Kobe did his final years - what is the Lakers plan? The current plan is LBJ doesn't slip in performance, and if he does he will suddenly work his game into the game of a better player? Does anyone truly see that happening? LeBron operating as "not the best player on the team" does not seem like it is going to be a good fit. I get the win now and worry about the future later but there are some serious questions IMHO.
You don't get to have a plan for the future when you have LeBron. Every effort is designed to benefit you now.

On a certain level, I get it. On another level, this is why I wouldn't want LeBron as a part of my organization.

I think it would be more than a slight discount. The Lakers are only going to have around $23 million in cap room.

No one knows that yet. It can be anywhere between $23-32 depending on numerous factors that haven't even occurred yet.

You don't get to have a plan for the future when you have LeBron. Every effort is designed to benefit you now.

On a certain level, I get it. On another level, this is why I wouldn't want LeBron as a part of my organization.

This is true. And I have mixed feelings about him as a Laker. But he also helped the Lakers get Anthony Davis. If he can finagle another NBA star, it will be hard to argue against his methods.

This is true. And I have mixed feelings about him as a Laker. But he also helped the Lakers get Anthony Davis. If he can finagle another NBA star, it will be hard to argue against his methods.
Yup, the championship he won with the Cavs pretty much validated his approach.

No one knows that yet. It can be anywhere between $23-32 depending on numerous factors that haven't even occurred yet.
Well, the Pelicans have already made it clear that the trade will be finalized July 6th, so both Zion and pick #4 can participate in the Summer League. And what would be the point of Davis waiving the trade kicker? It’s in there for a reason. Maybe he does and the Lakers get up to $27 million, which is still more than a slight discount. The $32 million ship has sailed unless the Lakers want to give up more assets.

Well, the Pelicans have already made it clear that the trade will be finalized July 6th, so both Zion and pick #4 can participate in the Summer League. And what would be the point of Davis waiving the trade kicker? It’s in there for a reason. Maybe he does and the Lakers get up to $27 million, which is still more than a slight discount. The $32 million ship has sailed unless the Lakers want to give up more assets.

The only other assets they have would be to offload Wagner and Bonga for like a future 2nd rounder or something and that frees up ~$3.6M which gets them pretty close to a max slot if AD waives the trade kicker.

They probably wait to see if any of the max guys want to come and then if they do they'll make the necessary moves for Wagner and/or Bonga.

Now that it’s done I’m happy we traded Lonzo, just so we’re not affiliated with his moron dad anymore.

The only other assets they have would be to offload Wagner and Bonga for like a future 2nd rounder or something and that frees up ~$3.6M which gets them pretty close to a max slot if AD waives the trade kicker.

They probably wait to see if any of the max guys want to come and then if they do they'll make the necessary moves for Wagner and/or Bonga.
Why would AD waive the trade kicker? That makes no sense to me.

Why would AD waive the trade kicker? That makes no sense to me.

Only motivation for him to do that is if he thinks he would rather be able to bring in another superstar who is on the same career timeline he is as opposed to pocketing the $4M. Then the longevity of a potential dynasty and championship window means he'll make up that $4M and then some.

I mean it isn't unprecedented. Durant left ~$9.5M on the table to go to GS, LeBron and Bosh took paycuts to go to Miami, Dirk opted out of a $25M player option to sign a 2 year $10M extension a couple years ago, etc.

Only motivation for him to do that is if he thinks he would rather be able to bring in another superstar who is on the same career timeline he is as opposed to pocketing the $4M. Then the longevity of a potential dynasty and championship window means he'll make up that $4M and then some.

I mean it isn't unprecedented. Durant left ~$9.5M on the table to go to GS, LeBron and Bosh took paycuts to go to Miami, Dirk opted out of a $25M player option to sign a 2 year $10M extension a couple years ago, etc.
Is there something in the Brow's history that suggests he prioritizes winning over getting paid though?

Is there something in the Brow's history that suggests he prioritizes winning over getting paid though?

If he doesn’t, I want ALL the same energy that was directed at Melo to go to AD. Blame him for getting traded for a lot of guys, for getting paid, and for the stupid moves his franchise makes.

* I read an article that compared AD’s trade to Melo’s but said that Melo could’ve told Denver to wait because it was mid season and the Knicks didn’t have a star in place while the Lakers have LeBron. Ummm...AMARE?!

People just lie and make things up now about Carmelo and it pisses me off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom