NBA 2018-2019 | Page 241 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I agree but the Knicks missed his toughness when he left, and he rebounds and scores, but his D is...

Did they? They were better (about 1.2 points per 100, not a ton, but better) when he was off the court vs on the court.

In his 8 years in the league, his team has been better with him on the bench 7 times out of 8.
In 2017, and I believe this was the birth of Billy Donovan saying "can't play him"), he played 45 minutes in the playoffs and they were outscored by 33 points per 100. 33!!

Did they? They were better (about 1.2 points per 100, not a ton, but better) when he was off the court vs on the court.

In his 8 years in the league, his team has been better with him on the bench 7 times out of 8.
In 2017, and I believe this was the birth of Billy Donovan saying "can't play him"), he played 45 minutes in the playoffs and they were outscored by 33 points per 100. 33!!

Kind of goes back to Draymond's 82 game players and 16 game players. You can get away with Kanter in the regular season and he can def help you in some respects pending the people surrounding him. He has legit skills on the offensive end.

However, you get into that chess match in the playoffs and hoo boy does it take on another life. Maybe spot minutes here and there when you may need a jump start or have very specific favorable matchups.

If nothing else, hopefully he can help (with Kemba) change the vibe in the locker room.

Deeper teams that have been built the right way not through free agency and have some depth.
So, players should not be able to work where they want to work?
I would dare say most rosters in the 4 major sports have a large # of one time free agents.

What a weird way to phrase that "Knicks Free agent"

The whole thing is kinda weird, obviously they agreed to sign him to like 2/20 (second year was a team option of non guaranteed or something) and then his physical was horrible, but I they still brought him in, for less money. His agent kept talking about how well the Knicks FO handled things, I guess that could buy them some goodwill, but all I could think was the Knicks went from 2/20 to 2/8 or whatever, and all the agent can do is compliment them; Bullock must be like barely even able to walk!

So, players should not be able to work where they want to work?
I would dare say most rosters in the 4 major sports have a large # of one time free agents.

Wow. Not one word you said had anything to do with my comment. Not one. Nor was it related in any way.

Players should be able to have that right and I fully endorse that right. This is a teams issue and not a players issue. I prefer teams that have been built internally and not 2 man superteams in your generally typical larger markets built on clearing space, owner and player tampering and going to free agency.

I admire the Tampa Bay Rays ability to bounce back quickly, but i have zero issue with the players that left them or they traded away for financial reasons.

My favourite ballplayers of all time to this day all had to move on from my team for financial reasons - Larry Walker. Vlad Guerrero and Pedro Martinez.

This is a team thing and not a player thing. I have also posted on this board a few times advocating a players right to ask to be traded. Nobody ever considers that a player can be traded totally out of the blue screwing himself over. Why shouldn't they look out for themselves. Doesn't mean I have to like that player or the team he goes to, but I totally respect the right.

Last edited:
Has any player before Kawhi ever destroyed 3 dynasties in their career?
He ended the Miami Heat dynasty in 2014 Finals which led to LeBron going back to Cleveland.
He ended the Spurs dynasty when he forced a trade from San Antonio last offseason.
He ended the Warriors dynasty when he beat them in this year’s Finals.

Kawhi ended 3 dynasties.
Injuries ended the Warriors. Peole made excuses for Houston when Paul was hurt (forgetting Iggy was hurt for GS) yet give Kawahi a ton of credit for barely beating a dismantled GS team.

Wow. Not one word you said had anything to do with my comment. Not one. Nor was it related in any way.

Players should be able to have that right and I fully endorse that right. This is a teams issue and not a players issue. I prefer teams that have been built internally and not 2 man superteams in your generally typical larger markets built on clearing space, owner and player tampering and going to free agency.

I admire the Tampa Bay Rays ability to bounce back quickly, but i have zero issue with the players that left them or they traded away for financial reasons.

My favourite ballplayers of all time to this day all had to move on from my team for financial reasons - Larry Walker. Vlad Guerrero and Pedro Martinez.

This is a team thing and not a player thing. I have also posted on this board a few times advocating a players right to ask to be traded. Nobody ever considers that a player can be traded totally out of the blue screwing himself over. Why shouldn't they look out for themselves. Doesn't mean I have to like that player or the team he goes to, but I totally respect the right.
You can't have a team without FA.

Injuries ended the Warriors. Peole made excuses for Houston when Paul was hurt (forgetting Iggy was hurt for GS) yet give Kawahi a ton of credit for barely beating a dismantled GS team.

I’m not writing them off yet either. They won a title and then won 73 games and were a Draymond suspension away from a good chance at a second title, with Curry, Klay, and Draymond as their stars.

Now obviously they had more depth with Barnes, Iguadala, Livingston, etc. but they could possibly rebuild that depth over the next year and keep contending and maybe win another title. They got Russell now too.

Go Rapts!

There still my team.

I'm cheering for the Jazz and Nuggets this year, largely because I want them to win what should be a fascinating conference.

Not liking a player, team, owner, or simply liking that a deep is built LARGELY internally with intriguing players like Jokic, does not mean I am against the rights of free agents. FFS

Speaking of free agents - anyone remember CuseHulk(Yankees fan) ranting about the Toronto Blue Jays and calling them the “Toronto Mercenaries” because they picked up David Price(I think)? Hilarious.

I’m not writing them off yet either. They won a title and then won 73 games and were a Draymond suspension away from a good chance at a second title, with Curry, Klay, and Draymond as their stars.

Now obviously they had more depth with Barnes, Iguadala, Livingston, etc. but they could possibly rebuild that depth over the next year and keep contending and maybe win another title. They got Russell now too.

I'm right with you. I think they are a bargain at 13:1 to win the NBA title.

They stil have the core of Curry, Thompson, and Green.
Thompson should have time to find his groove, and be even more rested come playoff time.
Management has had the knack of finding the odd gem to play on the bemch,

Now you add Russell which you can do one of 3 things with/
1) Keep - he may fit.
2) Trade him for a better fit on your team. (pure basketball trade)
3) Trade him for 2 or 3 lesser players but that are valid bench players.

Golden St returns a team that swept Portland, and played largely straight up with the Raptors in the finals. (A Raptors team that would be right in the group with the best teams this year if they returned Kawhi).

Speaking of free agents - anyone remember CuseHulk(Yankees fan) ranting about the Toronto Blue Jays and calling them the “Toronto Mercenaries” because they picked up David Price(I think)? Hilarious.
That dude was unintentional gold.

That dude was unintentional gold.

Lol. I can’t even drive past an Applebees without cracking up anymore because of that guy.

Steve Ballmer killed Kennedy, too.

I think the development of Donovan Mitchell and Jamal Murray will determine if those two teams are legit title contenders or not.

As it stands, both of those guys are both not quite All Stars and with that I think they top out as good 50+ wins and 2nd round of the playoffs type teams. Maybe a conference finals run.

If they become legit All Stars and close to all NBA guys, I think the ceilings of those teams rises a bit, but they still probably don’t have enough to win it all.

If those two guys become legit All NBA guards, then I think those teams would have great chances to win the title.

I say this because both of those guards seem to be brimming with potential, and we don’t quite know where their ceilings are. Remember, Steph Curry didn’t make an All star or All NBA team until his 5th season in the league.

I think Murray and Mitchell both have a chance to become truly elite players. Will they get there?

I think the development of Donovan Mitchell and Jamal Murray will determine if those two teams are legit title contenders or not.

As it stands, both of those guys are both not quite All Stars and with that I think they top out as good 50+ wins and 2nd round of the playoffs type teams. Maybe a conference finals run.

If they become legit All Stars and close to all NBA guys, I think the ceilings of those teams rises a bit, but they still probably don’t have enough to win it all.

If those two guys become legit All NBA guards, then I think those teams would have great chances to win the title.

I say this because both of those guards seem to be brimming with potential, and we don’t quite know where their ceilings are. Remember, Steph Curry didn’t make an All star or All NBA team until his 5th season in the league.

I think Murray and Mitchell both have a chance to become truly elite players. Will they get there?
How will those teams score against the Clippers?

How will those teams score against the Clippers?
The Jazz can put four +scoring and shooting threats on the perimeter in Conley, Mitchell, Ingles and Bogdanovic, with the all-time single season dunk leader Rudy Gobert in the paint.

To be sure, the Clippers defense is going to be nasty. If anybody has a roster equipped to spread it out, create space, and get good shots against it, the Jazz roster would have as good a chance as anybody.

The Jazz can put four +scoring and shooting threats on the perimeter in Conley, Mitchell, Ingles and Bogdanovic, with the all-time single season dunk leader Rudy Gobert in the paint.

To be sure, the Clippers defense is going to be nasty. If anybody has a roster equipped to spread it out, create space, and get good shots against it, the Jazz roster would have as good a chance as anybody.
otto knows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom