NBA 2018-2019 | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I don't see anything wrong with his instagram post. He was saying why is loyalty a one way street where players are scolded and demonized for wanting to leave a team but teams can trade players away whenever they feel like it and everyone accepts that "it's just business". He even says at the end he has no problem with teams trading guys and treating it like a business but it should be a 2-way street. Feel like that's pretty sound logic.

LeBron has done so much for changing the landscape of players taking control of their careers. As others have mentioned on here that's going to be a big part of his legacy. I think it's great. Then again I'm a huge proponent of players rights both in college and professional levels.

I mean, you being a Celtics fan means you probably hate everything LeBron says and does but I don't really see this being something to get upset about.
I don't know, it's hard to listen to him on this when he cares about some player's rights and not others.

If you're a "teammate" of his you're either his friend or roster fodder.

This Barnes deal has opened up a near max slot for the Mavs this summer. They could get kind of interesting if they throw a 3 for $75m at Boogie or Vucevic though ideally you would want KP to play the majority of his minutes at the 5. Would be a hell of a jumbo sized lineup with 0 defense though.

Lol Peter Vecsey reporting that Magic has become frustrated enough with LeBron to consider trading him and just keep the young guys instead.
I wonder what the trade market would be for LeBron.

I don't know, it's hard to listen to him on this when he cares about some player's rights and not others.

If you're a "teammate" of his you're either his friend or roster fodder.

Which players' rights doesn't he care about?

His post said he had no problem with guys being traded and that he understands it's a business. The problem he has is that teams basically know that fans care more about their favorite team's success more than anything and owners/media capitalize on that by painting the players to be the bad guy for leaving their favorite team when they want to make a business decision but whenever owners make a business decision their position is always understood and accepted.

Which players' rights doesn't he care about?

His post said he had no problem with guys being traded and that he understands it's a business. The problem he has is that teams basically know that fans care more about their favorite team's success more than anything and owners/media capitalize on that by painting the players to be the bad guy for leaving their favorite team when they want to make a business decision but whenever owners make a business decision their position is always understood and accepted.
He doesn't care about the rights of some of his teammates.

There is a history there suggesting that.

I don't see anything wrong with his instagram post. He was saying why is loyalty a one way street where players are scolded and demonized for wanting to leave a team but teams can trade players away whenever they feel like it and everyone accepts that "it's just business". He even says at the end he has no problem with teams trading guys and treating it like a business but it should be a 2-way street. Feel like that's pretty sound logic.

LeBron has done so much for changing the landscape of players taking control of their careers. As others have mentioned on here that's going to be a big part of his legacy. I think it's great. Then again I'm a huge proponent of players rights both in college and professional levels.

I mean, you being a Celtics fan means you probably hate everything LeBron says and does but I don't really see this being something to get upset about.
Unless a player has a no trade clause they get traded.
LeBron isn’t the guy who should be talking about loyalty to a team.

Lol Peter Vecsey reporting that Magic has become frustrated enough with LeBron to consider trading him and just keep the young guys instead.
I would respect Magic if he said good bye to LeBron.
LeBron doesn’t have an opt out so his contract is for 3 years.

He doesn't care about the rights of some of his teammates.

There is a history there suggesting that.

What rights though? I feel like you may be misunderstanding the message. He said he doesn't have a problem with teams making business decisions around players and understands that's the way it works. His problem is that it's only OK if teams make business decisions but players are deemed selfish and immoral if they try to make a business decision for themselves.

Unless a player has a no trade clause they get traded.
LeBron isn’t the guy who should be talking about loyalty to a team.

This response isn't really applicable or relevant to anything I said.

I would respect Magic if he said good bye to LeBron.
LeBron doesn’t have an opt out so his contract is for 3 years.
Funniest teams for LeBron to get traded to:

T'Wolves
Suns
Wizards

What rights though? I feel like you may be misunderstanding the message. He said he doesn't have a problem with teams making business decisions around players and understands that's the way it works. His problem is that it's only OK if teams make business decisions but players are deemed selfish and immoral if they try to make a business decision for themselves.
Because he's only looking at this from the side of the player that wants to be traded.

What about the side of the player that wants to stay?

LeBron the GM hasn't cared about them.

Because he's only looking at this from the side of the player that wants to be traded.

What about the side of the player that wants to stay?

LeBron the GM hasn't cared about them.

No, that's not accurate. He said that teams have the right to trade players whenever they feel and that the league is a business. He said he has no problem with that. That applies to all players regardless of his relationship with them. His problem is that players can't make a business decision and try to do what they think is best for their career and what they want without being labeled selfish and villified by fans or media.

His entire point is that it should be a 2-way street for understanding when both a team or player want to make a decision on the future but right now it's only accepted for teams to make roster decisions but players are always the bad guy if they want to change their situation.

No, that's not accurate. He said that teams have the right to trade players whenever they feel and that the league is a business. He said he has no problem with that. That applies to all players regardless of his relationship with them. His problem is that players can't make a business decision and try to do what they think is best for their career and what they want without being labeled selfish and villified by fans or media.

His entire point is that it should be a 2-way street for understanding when both a team or player want to make a decision on the future but right now it's only accepted for teams to make roster decisions but players are always the bad guy if they want to change their situation.
Players are the bad guys because fans care about winning.
Players are commodities to teams.
LeBron doesn’t think fans get mad at management they do.
Knicks fans despise Dolan.

The Knicks fans loved Patrick Ewing but the team didn’t owe Ewing keeping him on the team.

Patrick got the money in his contract from the Seattle SuperSonics.

LeBron James wants Twitter love and the media tell him how smart and thoughtful he is.
When he walked into the Staples Center with the wine glass it showed the guy cares about messaging.
Or he will tweet out to the Oregon WBB team so he gets credit.
Guy loves himself good coverage.

I agree but I do give LBJ a ding because he has also taken control of players careers (and coaches) by sending people packing. He has done a lot for the Alphas to take control of their careers but he too treats a lot of hte players in the league like pawns in his game.

tenor.gif

I'm getting tired of the media driven NBA soap opera. It's everywhere. Last summer when I was in the US for 3 months everything was LeBron LeBron LeBron. Today, even the Canadian media is all gaga with NBA drama. This is from Axios, I don't disagree.

Kevin Durant ripped the media's coverage of his pending free agency during his postgame press conference on Wednesday night. Can't say I disagree with him.
  • "I just don't trust none of y'all. Every time I say something it's getting twisted up and thrown out and in so any different publications, trying to tear me down with my words that I say."
  • "I have nothing to do with the Knicks. ... They got nothing to do with me. I'm trying to play basketball. Y'all come in here every day, ask me about free agency, ask my teammates, my coaches. You rile up the fans about it. Let us play basketball. That's all I'm saying."
  • "Come on, man. Grow up. Grow up. ... I come here and go to work every day. I don't cause no problems. I play the right way ... What's the problem? What am I doing to y'all?"
Why it matters: One of the most remarkable things about the current NBA season is how little the media seems to care about it. Instead, much of the discussion has been centered around this summer's free agency.
  • "KD to the Knicks" has been one of the hotter topics, while endless articles continue to be written about the futures of Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson and others. (Why does every big free agent's name start with a "K"?)
  • The upcoming trade deadline — and the Anthony Davis saga, in particular — has only intensified things, with even more rumors flying around, all from anonymous "sources," of course.
The big picture: The NBA has always been a personality-driven league, and now that players are switching teams and joining forces more frequently than ever, free agency literally gets more attention than the games themselves.
  • There's no separation between the season and the offseason anymore. They are one. And while that makes the NBA relevant all year long, it also means that much of the in-season intrigue happens off the court. It's kind of weird.
The bottom line: The players helped create this reality, so it's easy to roll your eyes and say, "Oh please, Kevin Durant, stop complaining." And yet, we shouldn't give the media a pass on this.
  • From debate shows designed to churn out H0T Takes, to reporters who ask players about free agency (which is 5 months away) in an attempt to get a quote, to the writers who take those quotes and dramatize them to get clicks, there's a certain laziness to NBA coverage.
  • I'm not saying Kevin Durant shouldn't have to answer questions about his future. All I'm saying is there's a way to do it without driving the guy insane.

I agree but I do give LBJ a ding because he has also taken control of players careers (and coaches) by sending people packing. He has done a lot for the Alphas to take control of their careers but he too treats a lot of hte players in the league like pawns in his game.

That's fair that he treats some players like pawns. It's basically that he cares more about his own championship aspirations than how it may impact his teammates who he doesn't think will help him get there. Every season of his is "win now mode" and for better or worse he just doesn't have the patience or luxury to wait a few years to let things take shape.

I might be missing the other coaches he ran out but Blatt wasn't good. The attempt to call a timeout with none left fiasco and then the story of him trying to use LeBron as a decoy weren't good looks. It sounded like pretty much nobody in Cleveland was too enamored with him.

With Walton, Magic already voiced his displeasure and the other question I'd have is this is year 3 and what has Walton done since becoming coach of the Lakers to show he is doing a good job and deserves more time?

Edit: Sounding like maybe 4 second round picks included as well

Last edited:

Edit: Sounding like maybe 4 second round picks included as well

I liked the Bucks taking a chance on Stanley but this is even better. Get a definite big time upgrade to the playoff rotation. He might be a really great fit.

Poor Stauskas just getting tossed around like a turd. Really thought he was going to be a solid rotation player after how good he was at Mich.

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have been clearer - I #hatehard on LeBron every chance I get, so rational discussion really doesn't matter that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom