NBA 2018-2019 | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I don’t like the trade for Philadelphia but I am happy for the Clippers.
Harris is not going to be worth the max contract and financial strain he will put on the 76ers.

Clippers got that 2021 Miami unprotected pick that is what Philadelphia got for trading down last draft. Awful overpayment by Elton Brand.

I really hope Anthony Davis ends up with Kawhi with the Clippers.
After LeBron and his guy Rich Paul did the hit job on Boston they did with Anthony Davis screw him and the Lakers.

If Davis and Kawhi end up with the Clippers and LeBron is trapped in a 4 year deal with no opt outs. Enjoy the weather LeBron.

I wouldn't like it if I was you either. Celtics are going to be looking up at the 76ers going forward if they can't make the AD deal work this summer. And you also lost trade ammunition this year and possibly altogether since you aren't getting that Clips pick this year and odds probably aren't much higher than 50/50 for next year either and at that point it's no longer a 1st.

Pretty sure Rich Paul isn't going to screw over his best friend/boss. The Clippers will magically be removed from his list now I'm sure. Though the Clips could still be aggressive and make a trade for him but AD re-signing in LA with the Clips and not waiting a year til FA to join LeBron seems like the exact opposite reason that he went with Klutch in the 1st place.

Saw an interesting post on NBA reddit that outline some of the ripple effects of this trade.

Clippers tanking makes Clippers pick that is top 14 protected not go to Boston this year and pushes it back later. Which if Clippers land the big fish they are lining up makes that trade asset less valuable in an AD deal.

Clippers tanking helps the Kings this season which makes their pick this year less of an asset for Boston in an AD deal.

Gives Sixers a 5 of Simmons, JJ, Embiid, Harris and Butler making it tougher for Toronto or Boston to reach the Finals or ECF which would probably be a factor in Kawhi and Kyrie staying or going.

Clippers now have cap space and assets to go after AD and the other upcoming headlining free agents.

I wouldn't like it if I was you either. Celtics are going to be looking up at the 76ers going forward if they can't make the AD deal work this summer. And you also lost trade ammunition this year and possibly altogether since you aren't getting that Clips pick this year and odds probably aren't much higher than 50/50 for next year either and at that point it's no longer a 1st.

Pretty sure Rich Paul isn't going to screw over his best friend/boss. The Clippers will magically be removed from his list now I'm sure. Though the Clips could still be aggressive and make a trade for him but AD re-signing in LA with the Clips and not waiting a year til FA to join LeBron seems like the exact opposite reason that he went with Klutch in the 1st place.
Eh the 6ers don’t worry me as much as the bucks.

Eh the 6ers don’t worry me as much as the bucks.

I'd be much more worried about Philly. Milwaukee is having a great year that is far exceeding expectations but I really have to imagine that Giannis's inability to shoot the ball is going to become a huge problem in the playoffs when teams have days and multiple games to gameplan against him.

I don’t like the trade for Philadelphia but I am happy for the Clippers.
Harris is not going to be worth the max contract and financial strain he will put on the 76ers.

Clippers got that 2021 Miami unprotected pick that is what Philadelphia got for trading down last draft. Awful overpayment by Elton Brand.

I really hope Anthony Davis ends up with Kawhi with the Clippers.
After LeBron and his guy Rich Paul did the hit job on Boston they did with Anthony Davis screw him and the Lakers.

If Davis and Kawhi end up with the Clippers and LeBron is trapped in a 4 year deal with no opt outs. Enjoy the weather LeBron.

I think it’s fine for the 6ers, but it doesn’t put them over the Warriors even if they get out of the east.

I don’t think AD is going to the Clips. I do think Kawhi is a lock there and I wouldn’t be surprised if they nap a second star somehow.

2nd round and forward should be really good playoff series in the east.

I'd be much more worried about Philly. Milwaukee is having a great year that is far exceeding expectations but I really have to imagine that Giannis's inability to shoot the ball is going to become a huge problem in the playoffs when teams have days and multiple games to gameplan against him.

He's been dominant the last two postseasons, one of which being against one of the best defensive teams/best coaches in the game. Giannis is not the concern for Milwaukee. The concern, if there is one, is someone like Bledsoe or Middleton going ice cold or teams taking advantage of Brook Lopez sitting back in the paint while his man sets screens on the perimeter.

But to this point, the Bucks have played like the best team in the NBA all year while facing the toughest schedule in the league. Their advanced metrics put them right up there with the 73-9 Warriors team.

There's no guarantee that Milwaukee continues to play at this level; it seems unbelievable that they've been as good as they have been, but at this point, everyone else in the East is trying to catch up to them, Philly included.

Man, was really hoping there would be a way for the Jazz to land Harris. He'd fit great on that team.

I don't think it's impossible that Tobias walks this offseason anyways. We'll see how things go with Philly, but going from being the go-to scorer and someone that's used to getting a ton of touches to create his own shot to now being possibly used as more of a spot-up guy might not be what Tobias is hoping for. He'll have plenty of suitors this offseason and I don't think it's a guarantee that he'd prefer a significantly smaller role with Philly than a starring role on a potentially better team in Utah.

Clippers with Kawhi Leonard are a playoff team that would convey the pick to Boston.

Not worried about the 76ers.
Butler and Harris aren’t worth the cap space they are getting.

Clippers with Kawhi Leonard are a playoff team that would convey the pick to Boston.

If the offseason goes the way the Clippers are hoping, that first might not be worth all that much anyways. They seem to be pretty well-positioned to at least have a chance at a Kawhi-Anthony Davis-one other max contract trio.

Saw an interesting post on NBA reddit that outline some of the ripple effects of this trade.

Clippers tanking makes Clippers pick that is top 14 protected not go to Boston this year and pushes it back later. Which if Clippers land the big fish they are lining up makes that trade asset less valuable in an AD deal.

Clippers tanking helps the Kings this season which makes their pick this year less of an asset for Boston in an AD deal.

Gives Sixers a 5 of Simmons, JJ, Embiid, Harris and Butler making it tougher for Toronto or Boston to reach the Finals or ECF which would probably be a factor in Kawhi and Kyrie staying or going.

Clippers now have cap space and assets to go after AD and the other upcoming headlining free agents.
The Kings aren’t making the playoffs.
There are a ton of teams in the West.
The Lakers will get their chit together before the Kings make the playoffs.

He's been dominant the last two postseasons, one of which being against one of the best defensive teams/best coaches in the game. Giannis is not the concern for Milwaukee. The concern, if there is one, is someone like Bledsoe or Middleton going ice cold or teams taking advantage of Brook Lopez sitting back in the paint while his man sets screens on the perimeter.

But to this point, the Bucks have played like the best team in the NBA all year while facing the toughest schedule in the league. Their advanced metrics put them right up there with the 73-9 Warriors team.

There's no guarantee that Milwaukee continues to play at this level; it seems unbelievable that they've been as good as they have been, but at this point, everyone else in the East is trying to catch up to them, Philly included.

Looks like his pts, rebs, stls, blks, ft% all decreased in the postseason last year but that's most likely more due to the gameflow of the postseason vs regular season. I just still don't believe in the Bucks being in that elite tier just because it kind of came out of nowhere this year and that's usually hard to sustain. Could certainly be wrong. I feel like the buyout market is going to be so important in helping distinguish the pecking order of the east. A guy like Wesley Matthews could end up really plugging a big hole in the rotation for the 76ers or maybe the Raptors make a move in the next 24 hours to give up some depth in order to up their ceiling a bit. All I know is that despite not really having a favorite team or rooting interest, I just love the NBA because of all of the transactions and economics of the sport.

The Kings aren’t making the playoffs.
There are a ton of teams in the West.
The Lakers will get their chit together before the Kings make the playoffs.

Which is too bad, because the Kings are a fun team to watch. Bagley may end up being the second best player from this past draft. Fox is just fun and Buddy is an assassin.

Hence why I put 50/50. Not sure why it matters if they are worth the cap space when they are never going to be under the cap again during the Simmons/Embiid era. If they are even 1% better that someone that makes less than them then they actually are worth it if the owners are willing to pay the luxury tax.

No matter how you look at it, this deal really impacts Boston in a negative way.

Which is too bad, because the Kings are a fun team to watch. Bagley may end up being the second best player from this past draft. Fox is just fun and Buddy is an assassin.
IDK, I still think there's a decent chance. Playing real well at home and the place was electric on Monday night. We'll see how tonight goes but I like the outlook with Capela out as our biggest struggles have been against teams that can bully us down low. It's been alleviated somewhat with Bagley healthy again but Harrell has absolutely destroyed us this year. Hopefully 3-1 before the all-star break and Bagley plays like he has the last two games..

Hence why I put 50/50. Not sure why it matters if they are worth the cap space when they are never going to be under the cap again during the Simmons/Embiid era. If they are even 1% better that someone that makes less than them then they actually are worth it if the owners are willing to pay the luxury tax.

No matter how you look at it, this deal really impacts Boston in a negative way.
Not really doesn’t affect Boston as I didn’t expect the Clippers pick till they got Kwahi.

Philadelphia will have chemistry problems as well as Boston now. Harris will want his shots.

Giannis staying in Milwaukee will attract other talent though, to an already very good team.

This contradicts popular belief but I wont be very scared of Philly so long as Ben Simmons in there. Him and Butler seems to not be getting along as well as hope. They’re continuously playing Embiid through a back injury. And im still not convinced they have the guns on the perimeter to keep up with legitimate teams.

Giannis staying in Milwaukee will attract other talent though, to an already very good team.

This contradicts popular belief but I wont be very scared of Philly so long as Ben Simmons in there. Him and Butler seems to not be getting along as well as hope. They’re continuously playing Embiid through a back injury. And im still not convinced they have the guns on the perimeter to keep up with legitimate teams.

The issue with Giannis attracting other talent is:
1. We still don't really know if it's true that he can get guys to come here.
2. Bucks basically have to make their move this offseason. They should have roughly a max slot open if they let Middleton and Bledsoe both walk this offseason but will they be able to sign anyone better than Middleton? And even if they do, is that guy an upgrade over Middleton + Bledsoe? I don't know. And if Milwaukee commits to Middleton, Bledsoe, Brogdon, and or Brook, they won't really have cap space moving forwards either.

Edit: If the Bucks can find a taker for Snell and Thon Maker, I think they could technically afford a max guy while keeping Middleton and Brogdon.

Last edited:
The issue with Giannis attracting other talent is:
1. We still don't really know if it's true that he can get guys to come here.
2. Bucks basically have to make their move this offseason. They should have roughly a max slot open if they let Middleton and Bledsoe both walk this offseason but will they be able to sign anyone better than Middleton? And even if they do, is that guy an upgrade over Middleton + Bledsoe? I don't know. And if Milwaukee commits to Middleton, Bledsoe, Brogdon, and or Brook, they won't really have cap space moving forwards either.

Edit: If the Bucks can find a taker for Snell and Thon Maker, I think they could technically afford a max guy while keeping Middleton and Brogdon.
Giannis strikes me as a win first guy. Ben Simmons kinda strikes me as a me first guy. As long as the Greek Freaks in Mil and Simmons is in Philly, i’ll be more worried about Milwaukee.

I just think Giannis, personality and work ethic wise, has a better chance to attract talent paired with Milwaukee’s in win now mode.

I don’t buy that alls well in paradise (philly) I bet a disappointing playoff performance catalyzes growing issues

Giannis strikes me as a win first guy. Ben Simmons kinda strikes me as a me first guy. As long as the Greek Freaks in Mil and Simmons is in Philly, i’ll be more worried about Milwaukee.

I just think Giannis, personality and work ethic wise, has a better chance to attract talent paired with Milwaukee’s in win now mode.

I don’t buy that alls well in paradise (philly) I bet a disappointing playoff performance catalyzes growing issues

Is there actually issues or is it all media crap? The same thing with the Kyrie situation in Boston. Mannix says that all is perfectly well there and that he is happy and they he has discussion with mgmt on a monthly basis and has no issues. Think that believing everything that ESPN puts out there can trick you into thinking things exist that might not. And more than anything, money AND winning cures all.

Great move by both teams. Have been stunned at the lack of development by Stanley Johnson. Hopefully they figure out how to unlock him. Think he's still only like 22 despite being in the league for a while now.

Great move by both teams. Have been stunned at the lack of development by Stanley Johnson. Hopefully they figure out how to unlock him. Think he's still only like 22 despite being in the league for a while now.

We'll see. In all likelihood, even if he shows anything, he'll be with another team next season unless the Bucks don't plan on using their potential cap space for anything. Stanley has a cap hold of $11 million next season so if the Bucks try to make a play for a max-ish free agent, they'll have to let him walk.

Is there actually issues or is it all media crap? The same thing with the Kyrie situation in Boston. Mannix says that all is perfectly well there and that he is happy and they he has discussion with mgmt on a monthly basis and has no issues. Think that believing everything that ESPN puts out there can trick you into thinking things exist that might not. And more than anything, money AND winning cures all.
Thought i could see a little visible drama when Jimmy Butler got interviewed on Simmons calling the team soft last month. But you’re probably right imo. A lot of smoke and drama in the nba

We'll see. In all likelihood, even if he shows anything, he'll be with another team next season unless the Bucks don't plan on using their potential cap space for anything. Stanley has a cap hold of $11 million next season so if the Bucks try to make a play for a max-ish free agent, they'll have to let him walk.

I don't think they have the cache to go after anyone bigger than their own guys so it'll be interesting to see who they are willing to renounce to clear space.

I don't think they have the cache to go after anyone bigger than their own guys so it'll be interesting to see who they are willing to renounce to clear space.

If they find a taker for Snell's contract, I think they can open up roughly a max slot while keeping both Middleton and Brogdon. Would cost them Bledsoe and likely Brook though.

I don't think bringing all of them back can be completely ruled out, but it would definitely be risky locking yourselves into a team with 1 star and 2 borderline-ish all-stars (Middleton and Bledsoe) rather than trying to find a way to get a bigger piece.

Ordinarily I'd say you're probably right that we can't go after anyone bigger, but the shoutout from Anthony Davis has me feeling at least some level of hope that someone will want to come play with Giannis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom