NBA 2018-2019 | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

NBA 2018-2019

I'm not following. How does hard cap without maximum amounts accomplish anything?
It takes away the luxury tax garbage how teams over the cap can acquire new talent.
If every team can only spend say 120 million dollars per year. Then it becomes impossible for the top teams to keep all their talent without the players really leaving money on the table.
If Golden State will only pay Durant 30 million per year because of their cap and say the Utah Jazz have 67 million in cap space want to offer him 4 years 200 million then he may go to Salt Lake for the money as the difference is a lot more than these current max deals where its just 1 year and 15% more.

The current NBA salary cap benefits the big market teams.

It takes away the luxury tax garbage how teams over the cap can acquire new talent.
If every time can only spend 120 million dollars. Then it becomes impossible for the top teams to keep all their talent without the players really leaving money on the table.
If Golden State will only pay Durant 30 million per year because of their cap and say the Utah Jazz have 67 million in cap space want to offer him 4 years 200 million then he may go to Salt Lake for the money as the difference is a lot more than these current max deals where its just 1 year and 15% more.

The current NBA salary cap benefits the big market teams.
Ok, but what you're proposing is forgetting one huge element the Reddit thing mentioned - what else in that scenario can the Jazz afford to put around Durant? It's not just the money to the individual players that matters.

Ok, but what you're proposing is forgetting one huge element the Reddit thing mentioned - what else in that scenario can the Jazz afford to put around Durant? It's not just the money to the individual players that matters.
It would be like the old days when more talent was spread out.
Middle class talent would matter more.
You would only be able to pay 2 guys really high amounts of money.
With these max dollars so low if I am getting 35 million in a situation I can’t win vs. taking the KD 30 million dollar haircut to stay with GS and win I would take the 30 million and win.
If a team thru 50 million at me I would take the money.

It would be like the old days when more talent was spread out.
Middle class talent would matter more.
You would only be able to pay 2 guys really high amounts of money.
With these max dollars so low if I am getting 35 million in a situation I can’t win vs. taking the KD 30 million dollar haircut to stay with GS and win I would take the 30 million and win.
If a team thru 50 million at me I would take the money.
I guess that makes some sense, but I like the idea of having a way for organizations that team building through their own player development to reap some additional reward. A hard cap would slant things towards markets preferred for geography reasons, which don't necessarily line up with organizations that are strong or well run. I'd argue poorly run orgs like the Knicks and Lakers benefit most from a hardcap.

I guess that makes some sense, but I like the idea of having a way for organizations that team building through their own player development to reap some additional reward. A hard cap would slant things towards markets preferred for geography reasons, which don't necessarily line up with organizations that are strong or well run. I'd argue poorly run orgs like the Knicks and Lakers benefit most from a hardcap.
The Knicks gave Jerome James 5 years 35 million and Joakim Noah 4 years 72 million and you think a hard cap would help them?
They would blow their money they are the Knicks until James Dolan sells the team or they get the frozen envelope lottery.

So i went to the Duke-UVA game and I've watched the Zion block about 100 times and the Knicks just have to win the lottery

So i went to the Duke-UVA game and I've watched the Zion block about 100 times and the Knicks just have to win the lottery

The cynic in me says that you could give any Dolan-run franchise ten straight years of #1 picks and it would still get screwed up.

Hoping he sells. I want the Knicks to be relevant again.

That Sixers starting 5 is unguardable if they click

The East playoffs are going to be so entertaining. I know the first round might be a bit meh, but after that it should be awesome.

The East playoffs are going to be so entertaining. I know the first round might be a bit meh, but after that it should be awesome.

Yup. First time in forever where there is real suspense as to who will win.

I think Philly has the best starting five on paper. But Boston owned them down the stretch of all those close games last year. They’ve got the better coach and a couple seasoned veterans. Milwaukee has the best overall player(IMO), and a ton of dangerous shooters around him. And Toronto...well they have an argument for having the best player too, added Gasol, got tons of experience.

I could see any of those 4 winning it. Round 2 and conference finals will be nuts.

Yup. First time in forever where there is real suspense as to who will win.

I think Philly has the best starting five on paper. But Boston owned them down the stretch of all those close games last year. They’ve got the better coach and a couple seasoned veterans. Milwaukee has the best overall player(IMO), and a ton of dangerous shooters around him. And Toronto...well they have an argument for having the best player too, added Gasol, got tons of experience.

I could see any of those 4 winning it. Round 2 and conference finals will be nuts.

Agreed re Philly's starting five.

One thing to note, my assumption is that the 76ers and Celtics catch and pass Indy now that Dipo is injured.

Also, the Nets may give one of those four teams a scare in the first round.

Out of those four, do you think Philly would have the best shot versus the Warriors?

One thing to note, my assumption is that the 76ers and Celtics catch and pass Indy now that Dipo is injured.

Out of those four, do you think Philly would have the best shot versus the Warriors?
What is it that makes the Nets good?

Sincere question, haven't seen them play, seems like they have pretty non-descript talent.

I do think Philly would have the best shot, just as far as overall talent goes.

Hard to see them beating a seasoned champion like the Warriors though.

They potentially could be an awfully tough matchup though. Simmons and Embiid are freaks for their positions/roles. Butler and Harris are well rounded all stars, and Redick one of the best shooters in the league.

If Simmons develops a J and they keep that team together they will win a championship IMO.

My father(Sixers fan) just texted me, “best chance we have at a title since you were born(82-83 season). Lol. Think he’s right.

Sincere question, haven't seen them play, seems like they have pretty non-descript talent.

I like them as a young, improving team, but I can’t see them as a problem for any of the big 4 just yet.

*Im a bit bitter that I think the two best players we drafted in our “suck” period are Russell and Randle, and they are no longer on our team. Thanks for that Mosgov signing, Mitch!! Cost us Russell, to get rid of him. SMH.

They did some basic items like shooting more threes, reducing the mid range and getting to the rim. DLo is a bit of a poor man's Harden in the replication of the Houston offense, but obviously not as good. The D has been really well ranked in defensive efficiency (I think).

Besides that, the other items are that they have legit players (maybe no dominant star, but a number of good players who could make the jump to very good) and between Atkinson/Marks, it seems they have really stabilized a previously unstable situation.

When they hired Marks, it sure seemed they wanted to become Spurs East (at least in organizational quality). While I don't think any team is run as well as SAS, it sure looks like it's coming to fruition.

Also, they aren't exactly, like, good. They're one game over 500 with a negative scoring margin.

That said, they seem to be pretty good at developing guys. Look at their leaders in minutes

1) Russell- Highly drafted, but Lakers basically gave up on him. maybe he's not a true all star in the general meaning of the word, but he's definitely better than he's been
2) Joe Harris- Second round pick. Shooting 45% from 3
3) Jarrett Allen- early 20's pick, I would say he was considered a guy with potential, but he was drafted after one year in college and he's now a very solid contributor.
4) Spencer Dinwiddie- second round pick, Pistons basically gave up on him. Now a legit NBA starter
5) Demarre Carroll- Has been a solid player, but Toronto salary dumped him (traded a first rounder and a second rounder to get rid of him)

They have hit on a ton of small moves and they have developed guys really well. Probably need to hit on a real star to make the next step

Also, they aren't exactly, like, good. They're one game over 500 with a negative scoring margin.

That said, they seem to be pretty good at developing guys. Look at their leaders in minutes

1) Russell- Highly drafted, but Lakers basically gave up on him. maybe he's not a true all star in the general meaning of the word, but he's definitely better than he's been
3) Jarrett Allen- early 20's pick, I would say he was considered a guy with potential, but he was drafted after one year in college and he's now a very solid contributor.
4) Spencer Dinwiddie- second round pick, Pistons basically gave up on him. Now a legit NBA starter
5) Demarre Carroll- Has been a solid player, but Toronto salary dumped him (traded a first rounder and a second rounder to get rid of him)

They have hit on a ton of small moves and they have developed guys really well. Probably need to hit on a real star to make the next step

And now Levert is back. Which is huge. He was playing really well pre-injury.

"with the first selection in the 2019 draft, the new york knicks select . . . microfracture surgery!"

Still, if all you can be is a competently run organization in the East, that's going to get you into the playoffs.

Still, if all you can be is a competently run organization in the East, that's going to get you into the playoffs.

Oh yeah, the bar is real low. The Bulls are a complete dumpster fire this year, and there are two teams way worse than them in the east.

It's really impressive considering where they were after that Celtics trade

Oh yeah, the bar is real low. The Bulls are a complete dumpster fire this year, and there are two teams way worse than them in the east.

It's really impressive considering where they were after that Celtics trade
Boylen's incredibly bad.

He was head coach of the Utah Utes men's basketball team for a little while. It was impressive how awful he was. Alienated everybody.

Boylen's incredibly bad.

He was head coach of the Utah Utes men's basketball team for a little while. It was impressive how awful he was. Alienated everybody.

I was under the impression that the “Utes” ceased to exist after Rick Majerus stopped coaching them

Perhaps that should’ve been the case?

Lakers-Warriors round 1 playoff series would be hard for Golden State.

Lakers-Warriors round 1 playoff series would be hard for Golden State.

Hard to do what? Sweep them? It won't be too hard to win 4 out of 5. The Lakers kids have 0 experience with anything remotely as intense as what happens at playoff time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom