NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Offseason: Draft + FA + Trades

How has Randle been busty? He averaged a double double in his first year of playing.

The Russell thing will blow over and be forgotten if he plays well. Magic was getting booed at the Forum for getting the coach fired early in his career...that went away quickly.

I was surprised how well Randle rebounds (I think we discussed this before).
He's an interesting player though, I'm not sure how he fits in todays game. I mean, he shot 43% from the field.

How has Randle been busty? He averaged a double double in his first year of playing.

The Russell thing will blow over and be forgotten if he plays well. Magic was getting booed at the Forum for getting the coach fired early in his career...that went away quickly.
Randle is the NBA version of Tyler Roberson. His offense is pretty bad. He can give you energy and rebounding but I guess as the 7th overall pick you want more.

I don't see the guy as anything more than a decent player. He is no Tristan Thompson defender/rebounder.

Magic had reason for wanting the coach to be fired. Magic won Finals MVP as rookie and Paul Westhead wanted to split the PG duties between Magic and Norm Nixon. That job obviously had to go to Magic. Nixon was solid but he was not in Magic's league. I have no problem with players speaking out when they are right.

Dr. Bust traded Nixon, hired Riley and gave the keys to Magic. As a player what Russell did was way worse. I would lose trust in the guy. Who the hell records his teammates in private. I bet the Lakers would trade him if they could get close to equal value.

Mozgov gets 4 years 64 million and Clarkson gets 4 years 50 million.

I don't get how Mozgov gets more than Clarkson. That might be one of the biggest bargains we see this offseason. Atleast Laker fans can take solace the pick going to Philly next year will be more top 10ish next year rather than top 5ish.

I don't get how Mozgov gets more than Clarkson. That might be one of the biggest bargains we see this offseason. Atleast Laker fans can take solace the pick going to Philly next year will be more top 10ish next year rather than top 5ish.

I assume it's because he was a restricted FA?
Though then you see Beal got maxed at 5/130 or whatever as an RFA...

Randle is the NBA version of Tyler Roberson. His offense is pretty bad. He can give you energy and rebounding but I guess as the 7th overall pick you want more.

I don't see the guy as anything more than a decent player. He is no Tristan Thompson defender/rebounder.

Magic had reason for wanting the coach to be fired. Magic won Finals MVP as rookie and Paul Westhead wanted to split the PG duties between Magic and Norm Nixon. That job obviously had to go to Magic. Nixon was solid but he was not in Magic's league. I have no problem with players speaking out when they are right.

Dr. Bust traded Nixon, hired Riley and gave the keys to Magic. As a player what Russell did was way worse. I would lose trust in the guy. Who the hell records his teammates in private. I bet the Lakers would trade him if they could get close to equal value.

But that's one year! Guys get better. Randle's offensive game is not a finished product yet.

The timeline is off there...they fired Westhead in '81, and traded Nixon in '83 after he found out they hired a spy to find out if his alleged drug problems were real.

Regardless, point is that Magic was being painted as a selfish, spoiled, coach killer and being booed at home...and that was quickly forgotten as he became maybe the most beloved LA athlete of all time.

I assume it's because he was a restricted FA?
Though then you see Beal got maxed at 5/130 or whatever as an RFA...

Those poor Washington fans. That guy is in danger of getting to Eric Gordon territory. Always hurt.

Beal got the Joe Johnson What is he getting the most money in FA contract when way better players are out there.

The fact that Joe Johnson got more than Lebron in 2010 was just wrong. Anthony Davis has the highest NBA contract of alltime in 140 million. This Beal contract is the 2nd highest alltime ahead of KG's 126 million.

Beal got the Joe Johnson What is he getting the most money in FA contract when way better players are out there.

The fact that Joe Johnson got more than Lebron in 2010 was just wrong. Anthony Davis has the highest NBA contract of alltime in 140 million. This Beal contract is the 2nd highest alltime ahead of KG's 126 million.

These are the type of contracts that lead to lockouts.

These are the type of contracts that lead to lockouts.

There's just so much money out there, but man that one stands out. I at least don't mind overpaying for a young talented guy because he could grow into the deal, (on a much smaller level, Mike conley's last deal was thought to be an overpay at the time) but the injury issues are real.

I think Derozan is at 139 now.

I think Detroit could contend for a top 4 seed. Their entire roster has upside. It will be interesting to see what they do in free agency.

No doubt they have potential. But there's also a pretty decent chance that they simply stagnate, win around 40 games and miss the playoffs IMO. Also just depends on what they do this offseason.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 1m1 minute ago
Keep hearing that the Bucks are making a stealth play for D-Wade. He needs one team to offer him 4 years for big bucks for Miami leverage.

Here is D-Wade getting his 4 years from Riley now. If Riley let Wade County leave the Heat fans the few they have would be pissed.

I don't buy Simmons as a legitimate source. And I'm pretty sure he said the same exact thing last year too.

At any rate, I doubt Wade leaves, but there's at least a chance things get interesting. Currently, the Heat don't have the cap space to sign both Wade and Whiteside. They have to make other moves (probably as simple as renouncing Deng + Haslem's cap holds and trading McRoberts). Those moves would allow them to offer Wade around $20 mil per year, but he might want more than that.

It's because other teams couldn't offer Clarkson much more than that. He's in that Gilbert Arenas situation where teams could only offer around the MLE the first two years of a contract, so he was looking at roughly 4/$50 as his best case scenario from other teams.

I don't buy Simmons as a legitimate source. And I'm pretty sure he said the same exact thing last year too.

At any rate, I doubt Wade leaves, but there's at least a chance things get interesting. Currently, the Heat don't have the cap space to sign both Wade and Whiteside. They have to make other moves (probably as simple as renouncing Deng + Haslem's cap holds and trading McRoberts). Those moves would allow them to offer Wade around $20 mil per year, but he might want more than that.

I think Haslem/Deng being renounced is a lock.
I also think they are fine depending on how they time everything; Whiteside's cap hold is under a million. As long as they hold off on officially signing that they should be fine i think?

NFL stars are underpaid when you see these salaries mediocre NBA players are getting. The fact the NBAPA didn't cave to a hard salary cap in the last lockout was amazing. If I were the NBA I would holdout for unlimited salaries next CBA in exchange for a harder cap. As the non-hard cap is why these contracts happen.

I think Haslem/Deng being renounced is a lock.
I also think they are fine depending on how they time everything; Whiteside's cap hold is under a million. As long as they hold off on officially signing that they should be fine i think?

He doesn't have bird rights so they can't go over the cap to sign Whiteside. They have to make their moves, including signing Wade, before they sign Whiteside's extension. Renouncing the cap holds on those two guys gets them to roughly $8 mil in cap space. Trading McRoberts gets them to $13 mil. Wade's cap hold is $30 mil, so signing him at $18-19 mil will give them the cap space needed to sign Whiteside (depending on how Wade and Whiteside's contracts are structured). I'd assume Whiteside's will be backloaded a bit so that they can give Wade $20+ million, but they have to move McRoberts or Dragic to make signing both of them a possibility, and McRoberts probably makes far more sense to move.

He doesn't have bird rights so they can't go over the cap to sign Whiteside. They have to make their moves, including signing Wade, before they sign Whiteside's extension. Renouncing the cap holds on those two guys gets them to roughly $8 mil in cap space. Trading McRoberts gets them to $13 mil. Wade's cap hold is $30 mil, so signing him at $18-19 mil will give them the cap space needed to sign Whiteside (depending on how Wade and Whiteside's contracts are structured). I'd assume Whiteside's will be backloaded a bit so that they can give Wade $20+ million, but they have to move McRoberts or Dragic to make signing both of them a possibility, and McRoberts probably makes far more sense to move.

You're right. I hate the freaking cap. That makes sense, because I know they didn't have room to sign KD/Wade/HW but if his cap hold was that low they would have been able to.

Haslem and Deng are gone for sure.

They're at about $50 million for their contracted players (Bosh/Dragic/McBob/Winslow/Weber/Richardson. Throw Whiteside in at around 22 I'm guessing? That's around 72. They have some other small cap holds, but if you assume Deng/Haslem are gone, which I think you can, they should be good for Wade around 20 without trading McRoberts? Or am I missing something?

Actually, don;'t they need to renounce Wade's bird rights? if his cap hold is 30 million, how are they fitting Whiteside in?

I HATE THE CAP

NFL stars are underpaid when you see these salaries mediocre NBA players are getting. The fact the NBAPA didn't cave to a hard salary cap in the last lockout was amazing. If I were the NBA I would holdout for unlimited salaries next CBA in exchange for a harder cap. As the non-hard cap is why these contracts happen.

Wait until next year when it goes up another 20 million.

I feel like some of that stuff doesn't really matter; the players are getting 51% (or whatever) of the revenue no matter what. The way it gets divided up by player makes for good headlines but I'm not sure how much the owners care?

You're right. I hate the freaking cap. That makes sense, because I know they didn't have room to sign KD/Wade/HW but if his cap hold was that low they would have been able to.

Haslem and Deng are gone for sure.

They're at about $50 million for their contracted players (Bosh/Dragic/McBob/Winslow/Weber/Richardson. Throw Whiteside in at around 22 I'm guessing? That's around 72. They have some other small cap holds, but if you assume Deng/Haslem are gone, which I think you can, they should be good for Wade around 20 without trading McRoberts? Or am I missing something?

Actually, don;'t they need to renounce Wade's bird rights? if his cap hold is 30 million, how are they fitting Whiteside in?

I HATE THE CAP

They'll sign Wade before signing Whiteside so that his cap hold will decrease and allow them to fit Whiteside in.

Miami Heat on Yahoo! Sports - News, Scores, Standings, Rumors, Fantasy Games

Here's a link to their cap situation. Without renouncing the cap holds on Deng and Haslem (which they obviously will), they're at $104 mil. Renouncing those two gets them to $86 mil. Signing Wade at $20 mil gets them to $76 mil. Trading McRoberts for nothing in return gets them to just under $23 mil.

They'll sign Wade before signing Whiteside so that his cap hold will decrease and allow them to fit Whiteside in.

Miami Heat on Yahoo! Sports - News, Scores, Standings, Rumors, Fantasy Games

Here's a link to their cap situation. Without renouncing the cap holds on Deng and Haslem (which they obviously will), they're at $104 mil. Renouncing those two gets them to $86 mil. Signing Wade at $20 mil gets them to $76 mil. Trading McRoberts for nothing in return gets them to just under $23 mil.

They could also I g uess just renounce Wade's bird rights, like i said, that would take his $30 million cap hold off the books.
I thought I had read they'd be able to bring Wade back at around 20 and sign Whiteside without having to move McBob. But I give up. This stuff is so annoying.

More areements...
Jefferson - Pacers
Drummond - Pistons
Lin - Nets

I feel like some of that stuff doesn't really matter; the players are getting 51% (or whatever) of the revenue no matter what. The way it gets divided up by player makes for good headlines but I'm not sure how much the owners care?
When players like Mozgov/Al Jefferson are getting NFL QB salaries then it matters. I get 53 players vs. 15 players but the NFL revenue is 12 billion a year awhile the NBA revenue is 8 bullion.

Top NFL players are underpaid when you see these stupid NBA contracts. Von Miller can't get his money while all-stars like Drummond/DeRozen and a player like Beal are getting 130 million.

NFLPA need to strike but these players can't afford too. It is sad. The NBAPA runs laps around the NFLPA and they have been beaten the last 2 lockouts.

At least my Bulls will no longer be the most injury prone team in the NBA. Thanks to the Knicks new roster: Rose (Legs), Gordon (Legs), Noah (Legs), Melo (Back).

At least my Bulls will no longer be the most injury prone team in the NBA. Thanks to the Knicks new roster: Rose (Legs), Gordon (Legs), Noah (Legs), Melo (Back).

Melo's back may be tired from trying to carry a garbage team, but Ive never heard of a back injury with him.

He had the knee surgery two years ago, and while it bothered him at times he was mostly healthy last year.

I'm still curious if anyone will try to pull the "Melo was greedy and should have signed with Chicago garbage" anymore

When players like Mozgov/Al Jefferson are getting NFL QB salaries then it matters. I get 53 players vs. 15 players but the NFL revenue is 12 billion a year awhile the NBA revenue is 8 bullion.

Top NFL players are underpaid when you see these stupid NBA contracts. Von Miller can't get his money while all-stars like Drummond/DeRozen and a player like Beal are getting 130 million.

NFLPA need to strike but these players can't afford too. It is sad. The NBAPA runs laps around the NFLPA and they have been beaten the last 2 lockouts.

I just meant from the owners POV, not necessarily comparing the two sports.

No question the NFLPA is a weaker union