NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

While I don’t agree with her pick, she explained her reasoning just fine.
Narrative based voting is garbage. All she had to say is I felt LeBron was the most valuable basketball player to his team this year.
Voting for LeBron James isn't the issue.
She basically admitted that media narratives help decide her vote. That is so dumb.

Ramona Shelburne should not be allowed to vote on any NBA award ever again.
This is the crap I can't stand.
"narrative based voter" Adios

To be fair, taking the projected #1 or #2 seed in the West and turning them into the #1 seed in the West is a pretty tough narrative to argue against.

Seriously though, it's a joke, and yet there are still worse voters out there, like this guy:

Ehhh Ramona Shelburne is an LA homer.
Voting for LeBron isn't the issue. If she puts Giannis second and we all know Giannis is likely winning anyway.
My issue she is saying narratives affect her voting.
That is how Karl Malone beat Michael Jordan in1997 MVP voting.
The media narrative was it was cute to vote for a guy who never won the MVP over the best player with basically the same stats as the year before he won it almost unanimously and had the best record in the league.

Narrative based voting is just stupid. Vote for who you think deserves the award not what the narrative says to vote for.

Ramona Shelburne should not be allowed to vote on any NBA award ever again.
This is the crap I can't stand.
"narrative based voter" Adios

Eh, stats aren’t the end all be all though. The Bucks and Lakers rosters are constructed much differently.

Eh, stats aren’t the end all be all though. The Bucks and Lakers rosters are constructed much differently.
Giannis would get my vote for MVP.
LeBron would be second.

The Lakers were expected to be first or second this year after they acquired Anthony Davis and retooled with good vet signings. Giannis and LeBron both had unanimous All-NBA seasons. The narrative based voting logic is just stupid and undermines the legitimacy of a voter when say it affects their vote.

It's just my take anyway.

Giannis would get my vote for MVP.
LeBron would be second.

The Lakers were expected to be first or second this year after they acquired Anthony Davis and retooled with good vet signings. Giannis and LeBron both had unanimous All-NBA seasons. The narrative based voting logic is just stupid and undermines the legitimacy of a voter when say it affects their vote.

It's just my take anyway.

I agree on narrative based voting.

Without it, Jordan, Shaq, and LeBron probably would’ve won 90% of the MVPs in the last 30 years.

Without it, Jordan, Shaq, and LeBron probably would’ve won 90% of the MVPs in the last 30 years.
Baseball is the worst offender, but I don't like MVP voting that is hugely stats based with no accounting for winning. Basketball is someone immune to that, because it's pretty rare a true MVP caliber player is on a losing team.

That MVP AROD won for last place Texas... yeah, he was so valuable that with him they ended in last, and without him they would have ended... in... last. I guess.

Last edited:

That is what should happen.
The best player of that season is the most valuable player. If they lead their team to successful seasons they deserve the MVP.
The fact Shaq only has 1 MVP is a disgrace.
Jordan deserved more MVPs. LeBron deserved atleast 1 one more.

The best players should win. Not give Karl Malone an MVP because it would be a good story when if all 30 teams had their choice who would you take to start your team and who had a better season Karl Malone or Michael Jordan all 30 would say MJ but let's make Malone the MVP because it would be cute.
I don't think that system is a good thing.

That is what should happen.
The best player of that season is the most valuable player. If they lead their team to successful seasons they deserve the MVP.
The fact Shaq only has 1 MVP is a disgrace.
Jordan deserved more MVPs. LeBron deserved atleast 1 one more.

The best players should win. Not give Karl Malone an MVP because it would be a good story when if all 30 teams had their choice who would you take to start your team and who had a better season Karl Malone or Michael Jordan all 30 would say MJ but let's make Malone the MVP because it would be cute.
I don't think that system is a good thing.
Who would you take an MVP away from to give to Shaq?

Who would you take an MVP away from to give to Shaq?
Right off the top of my head without looking I would say 2005 one that Steve Nash won.
Shaq was in the shape after he got traded to Miami from LA and was the most valuable player that season.

Also, if I looked at those Lakers years I am sure I find more than just one season.

Right off the top of my head without looking I would say 2005 one that Steve Nash won.
Shaq was in the shape after he got traded to Miami from LA and was the most valuable player that season.

Also, if I looked at those Lakers years I am sure I find more than just one season.

yeah, prime Shaq with the Lakers was just such a force. As great as he was, Iverson’s was definitely a “narrative” MVP. Iverson has a great year on a team that overachieved and made a great run. Ultimately Shaq was better and you knew the Lakers were winning - primarily because they had Shaq. Switch Shaq and Mutumbo(a Hall of famer!!) and the Sixers probably win in 5.

Baseball is the worst offender, but I don't like MVP voting that is hugely stats based with no accounting for winning. Basketball is someone immune to that, because it's pretty rare a true MVP caliber player is on a losing team.

That MVP AROD won for last place Texas... yeah, he was so valuable that with him they ended in last, and without him they would have ended... in... last. I guess.
Isn't team winning what the world series is about though? Best team already gets the most important trophy. MVP is just something kind of made up to get people talking. MVP has always been the wrong word used, should just be called Best Player and then it gets rid of the argument about the word valuable and how it should be defined.

Isn't team winning what the world series is about though? Best team already gets the most important trophy. MVP is just something kind of made up to get people talking. MVP has always been the wrong word used, should just be called Best Player and then it gets rid of the argument about the word valuable and how it should be defined.
But it's not called Best Player.

I think Best Player and MVP are largely synonymous, especially in baseball where one player can't really impact the team's fortune THAT much. Like the fact that the Angels have sucked for so long isn't Trout's fault; he's been the best player in baseball. Just so happens that there's a lot of other players that have to contribute and fail to do so. One individual player can impact the team's record in basketball far more in baseball, so I get why winning is considered as one of many criteria for MVP in basketball.

In the case of this particular season, pretty much any criteria that you use would point to Giannis as the MVP and that wouldn't be any different if you were simply trying to name who played the best this season.

I'm just going to say it the Lakers better hope Portland doesn't make it. A finally healthy blazer team with no home court advantage will give them fits.

I do agree Shaq should've won the 05 MVP over Nash. And the Iverson one. Hard to argue against Tim Duncan though

Suns go 8-0 in the bubble. They need Portland to lose tonight in order to get into the play-in game. Regardless, they’ll have high expectations next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom