NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

How are people mad at Kyrie? He's doing his job as VP of the NBPA. The union reps for the teams are the ones that messed up here.

Personally, I find it fun to be mad at Kyrie.

Kyrie seems like a weird guy, maybe think he's a lot smarter than he really is. "a fun guy to be mad at" is a pretty good description. Not a bad guy, ultimately harmless.

Antonio Brown seems like he is probably legitimately a bad person. (I know there's some speculation he's never been the same after Burfict knocked him out of that playoff game a while back)

If you ignore the arrests and threatening women and all that, sure.
Antonio Brown has problems but the arrests weren’t really anything bad and I don’t think he did anything illegal with the women. The lawsuits will play out.
The guy doesn’t bill his bills.

What I meant with the compassion is that both are unpredictable, highly talented players who nobody has a clue what they will say next.
Remember Kyrie thought the Earth as a planet was flat and wasn’t joking.

Antonio Brown has problems but the arrests weren’t really anything bad and I don’t think he did anything illegal with the women. The lawsuits will play out.
The guy doesn’t bill his bills.

What I meant with the compassion is that both are unpredictable, highly talented players who nobody has a clue what they will say next.
Remember Kyrie thought the Earth as a planet was flat and wasn’t joking.

I get what you're saying, just, Brown has been accused of rape/sexual assault and then threatened the accuer via text. (allegedly, I get all that) But he basically is not in good standing with the league right now from what I recall. I don't think it's fair to compare Kyrie to Brown in that sense. There seems to be a lot more maliciousness with Brown

re: the part I bolded; that's partially what I was thinking of when I said Kyrie is probably not as smart as he thinks he is.

I would cancel the rest of this season and just start up a new season in late October.

I get what you're saying, just, Brown has been accused of rape/s e xual assault and then threatened the accuer via text. (allegedly, I get all that) But he basically is not in good standing with the league right now from what I recall. I don't think it's fair to compare Kyrie to Brown in that sense. There seems to be a lot more maliciousness with Brown

re: the part I bolded; that's partially what I was thinking of when I said Kyrie is probably not as smart as he thinks he is.
Brown hasn’t been criminally charged because the evidence doesn’t support it.

I honestly read the complaints against him since he was on the Patriots when they came out. They weren’t strong and reeked of the allegations made to get a settlement. The complaining witness didn’t cooperate with the police before filing her civil lawsuit.
Typically victims will cooperate and let the criminal justice system do all the work building a case so that the civil case after the criminal case has all the evidence played but with a lower standard. In Brown’s case the victim didn’t help the police.

I think he is an idiot but I don’t think he committed those crimes.

Brown is an idiot and was de facto blackballed last year after he nukes his way out of Oakland and the Patriots cut him and still is.
My guess is a team like the Ravens will sign him if anybody does.

I would cancel the rest of this season and just start up a new season in late October.

I really get the feeling the next sporting event you see will be chiefs/Texans on Sept 10.

Yeah Antonio brown is an idiot. Unreal talent, complete idiot. Kyrie has said some ridiculous things as well. I can see the comparison. Both great talents though, no doubt there.

Kyrie seems like a weird guy, maybe think he's a lot smarter than he really is. "a fun guy to be mad at" is a pretty good description. Not a bad guy, ultimately harmless.

Antonio Brown seems like he is probably legitimately a bad person. (I know there's some speculation he's never been the same after Burfict knocked him out of that playoff game a while back)
Kyrie might not be harmless. I would agree he's not criminal.

Not defending Antonio Brown at all.

Kyrie is trying to stop the players from playing the rest of the season due to racial tension within the country.
I suggested this would happen in the immediate aftermath of George Floyd. Not surprising.

I understand where Kyrie is coming from and think he has genuinely good intentions. Having said that, I think the NBA and its players can do a lot more good in terms of helping their communities, raising awareness, and keep the pressure on for real change by playing. When they restart they’ll have a platform with maybe an unprecedented level of eyeballs on it and can take advantage of that as opposed to cancelling the season and then fading into the “out of sight, out of mind” box.

Now if the concerns are about safety with coronavirus and the uncertainty on Florida’s control of the situation that’s an entirely different story. Players should 100% push to make sure they and their families are safe especially when there’s so much unknown about the long term effects of the virus.

Per Chris Haynes the NBA restart plan is seriously in jeopardy because of the Kyrie led conference call yesterday.

I understand where Kyrie is coming from and think he has genuinely good intentions. Having said that, I think the NBA and its players can do a lot more good in terms of helping their communities, raising awareness, and keep the pressure on for real change by playing. When they restart they’ll have a platform with maybe an unprecedented level of eyeballs on it and can take advantage of that as opposed to cancelling the season and then fading into the “out of sight, out of mind” box.

Now if the concerns are about safety with coronavirus and the uncertainty on Florida’s control of the situation that’s an entirely different story. Players should 100% push to make sure they and their families are safe especially when there’s so much unknown about the long term effects of the virus.

They’ll certainly have all eyes on them. At the same time though, they literally won’t be able to leave their rooms for several months. They can wear a BLM shirt while they warm up for games, but what can they really accomplish outside of that? They obviously will no longer be allowed to organize and lead marches around the country like they’ve been doing. Not to mention simply being unable to physically be with family, friends, or the movement in what they may view as a time of need.

It’s a really tough call due to the financial ramifications of not playing but I think that’s the only thing preventing this from being an easy decision to cancel.

I’ll still be shocked if they ultimately cancel the season but we’ll see. I’m sure a lot of players will feel pretty crappy taking the money over what they think is morally the right thing to do.

They’ll certainly have all eyes on them. At the same time though, they literally won’t be able to leave their rooms for several months. They can wear a BLM shirt while they warm up for games, but what can they really accomplish outside of that? They obviously will no longer be allowed to organize and lead marches around the country like they’ve been doing. Not to mention simply being unable to physically be with family, friends, or the movement in what they may view as a time of need.

It’s a really tough call due to the financial ramifications of not playing but I think that’s the only thing preventing this from being an easy decision to cancel.

I’ll still be shocked if they ultimately cancel the season but we’ll see. I’m sure a lot of players will feel pretty crappy taking the money over what they think is morally the right thing to do.

You’re right and when thinking about your post that leading marches and being with family would be great to be able to do and to ignite change in the community is big relative to the platform of the season with high ratings. I was looking at it more from the perspective of raising awareness during games and working with the NBA to come up with messaging but removing the physical presence they can bring will be pretty impactful as well.

I think asking them to be away from their family for weeks is something that needs to be looked at. They should have resources for contact tracing and testing in and out of “the bubble”. I mean if colleges are saying they’ll all collectively perform mass testing for their students then family or friends should be able to get tested in this situation.

You’re right and when thinking about your post that leading marches and being with family would be great to be able to do and to ignite change in the community is big relative to the platform of the season with high ratings. I was looking at it more from the perspective of raising awareness during games and working with the NBA to come up with messaging but removing the physical presence they can bring will be pretty impactful as well.

I think asking them to be away from their family for weeks is something that needs to be looked at. They should have resources for contact tracing and testing in and out of “the bubble”. I mean if colleges are saying they’ll all collectively perform mass testing for their students then family or friends should be able to get tested in this situation.

Agreed. They should be able to bring their families.

I’m still not clear how the nba can pull off the bubble. I get it that the players, coaches and staff will live inside that bubble. Are they planning on sequestering all of the service staff who cook the food, clean the rooms, and all of the other tasks that are required to make hotels and resorts run?

So why will the MLB play in essential empty arena games if they come to an agreement and the NBA has to do a bubble format.

If this is about addressing families then just play the playoffs in teams home arenas with no crowds.
When on the road just stay in your hotel for 3 or 4 days.

It's obviously very hard to read exactly what is going on, but I feel like this is more about Kyrie wanting his voice to be heard (which is fine! he totally deserves that) than the season actually being in jeopardy

If they decide to cancel the season at this point, the financial ramifications are pretty bad. I just can't really see that happening.

It is kind of funny though to think NY might actually be the safest place for anyone to be right now, considering where it was a month or so ago. And the virus situation in Florida is continuing to get worse

He’s so tone deaf at all times.
Kyrie - what if social reform included not paying athletes obscene amounts of money?
Kyrie - where do you live, now that you have made millions? Did you move into an economically underdeveloped area to help, or did you go to a gated community, surrounded by people of like wealth, rather than live with people of lesser economic means.

For all of DC's faults, he is one of the few guys that I know of who went to live is a neighborhood that was less than he could afford.

Truth be told, Pat Tillman did sacrifice far more than Kyrie says (to date) that he is willing to do.

Kyrie - what if social reform included not paying athletes obscene amounts of money?
Kyrie - where do you live, now that you have made millions? Did you move into an economically underdeveloped area to help, or did you go to a gated community, surrounded by people of like wealth, rather than live with people of lesser economic means.

For all of DC's faults, he is one of the few guys that I know of who went to live is a neighborhood that was less than he could afford.

Truth be told, Pat Tillman did sacrifice far more than Kyrie says (to date) that he is willing to do.
I hate the Pat Tillman comparison. If he hadn't been killed by friendly fire, he'd hate it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom