NBA Thread 2019-20 Season | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2019-20 Season

Still looking up at them in the standings and smarting from getting lit up by Avery Bradley though!
Meh, it was a day game and a fluke performance. COVID-19 was the only thing stopping the Clippers.

the simplw fact is, i dislike the lakers more than i like the clippers
My two favorite teams are the Clippers and whoever is playing the Lakers.

I was watching Clippers/Rockets last night and then randomly turned to an NBA Hardwood Classics game on NBATV (1976 Finals, Celtics vs. Suns).

The 1976 game looked like it was being played in slow motion compared to today.

We talked about this like a week ago, but I wanted to bump it. Since there's no sports happening, ESPN was showing the 30 for 30 about the Lakers Celtics rivalry, the episode I watched was focused on the 84 finals. I was watching and following the box scores on my computer as I did.

In the series (Celtics won in 7), the two teams each averaged about 116 points a game (Lakers actually outscored Boston despite losing). In the series, the teams combined to attempt 42 3 pointers in the 7 games, making 15. The Lakers were 6-18 in the whole series, and even that is a little skewed, they took 8 in game 7. Here's the breakdown

Game 1: 1-2
Game 2: 0-2
Game 3: 0-1
Game 4: 0-0
Game 5: 2-3
Game 6: 1-2
Game 7: 2-8

Lakers took 18 3's the whole series, in the last NBA finals, there were 6 guys on Toronto who took more than 18 3's and 4 on the Warriors.

Another way things were different, Boston had an offensive rebound% of about 38 in the finals, the Lakers 31. Last year, both teams were around 22% or so.

We talked about this like a week ago, but I wanted to bump it. Since there's no sports happening, ESPN was showing the 30 for 30 about the Lakers Celtics rivalry, the episode I watched was focused on the 84 finals. I was watching and following the box scores on my computer as I did.

In the series (Celtics won in 7), the two teams each averaged about 116 points a game (Lakers actually outscored Boston despite losing). In the series, the teams combined to attempt 42 3 pointers in the 7 games, making 15. The Lakers were 6-18 in the whole series, and even that is a little skewed, they took 8 in game 7. Here's the breakdown

Lakers took 18 3's the whole series, in the last NBA finals, there were 6 guys on Toronto who took more than 18 3's and 4 on the Warriors.

Another way things were different, Boston had an offensive rebound% of about 38 in the finals, the Lakers 31. Last year, both teams were around 22% or so.
Wow, that rebounding stat is really interesting.

Fascinating. Any explanation come to mind on the change?

I watched game 7 recently as well and most of those 3’s were in the final 2 minutes by Michael Cooper in a sorta desperation way as well.

The offense of both teams was to get the ball inside and take mid range jumpers from doubles.
If it was modern basketball those mid range shots are 3’s.

As Bird/Ainge/Cooper/Scott all had 3 pt range but it wasn’t part of the game.

Wow, that rebounding stat is really interesting.

Fascinating. Any explanation come to mind on the change?

I know offensive rebounding has been steadily on the decline.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post the table here, but the link has season averages, you can see it

It's probably a side effect of the trend toward smaller guys, more shooting? Bringing it back this specific series, if you're playing a big lineup like Bird/McHale/Parish across the front line, you may as well crash the glass and take advantage of it. (Plus the whole game was played within 15-20 feet, so everyone was closer to the bucket) I also think shots closer to the rim are more likely to end up as offensive rebounds? And if you're playing a 5 out lineup now, just fewer guys at the rim to get offensive rebounds?

I watched game 7 recently as well and most of those 3’s were in the final 2 minutes by Michael Cooper in a sorta desperation way as well.

The offense of both teams was to get the ball inside and take mid range jumpers from doubles.
If it was modern basketball those mid range shots are 3’s.

As Bird/Ainge/Cooper/Scott all had 3 pt range but it wasn’t part of the game.

I figured it was something like that. They were down late and had to press to get back into it

I'm watching the final episode of this thing, theyre talking about Walton now. I looked up his stats, he played 80 games in the 86 season! He had been in and out of the lineup with injuries for years, he was just a bench player for them (20 MPG), the Celtics were obviously running away with home court advantage, amazing to think he only sat out 2 games. Today he'd be load managed and probably play 55 games max

I'm watching the final episode of this thing, theyre talking about Walton now. I looked up his stats, he played 80 games in the 86 season! He had been in and out of the lineup with injuries for years, he was just a bench player for them (20 MPG), the Celtics were obviously running away with home court advantage, amazing to think he only sat out 2 games. Today he'd be load managed and probably play 55 games max
KC Jones was doing stupid things all season long in 1986. He would play Larry Bird 42 minutes against a crappy Cleveland Cavs team and then 41 the next night in Detroit on a back to back.

The league was completely different back then.
Bird killed himself physically with all the games he played from 81 to 87.

It does give appreciation to what LeBron did with his Finals streak 8 years in a row.

Watching Celtics-76ers or Celtics-Lakers games from that era that intensity is long gone from this era.

KC Jones was doing stupid things all season long in 1986. He would play Larry Bird 42 minutes against a crappy Cleveland Cavs team and then 41 the next night in Detroit on a back to back.

The league was completely different back then.
Bird killed himself physically with all the games he played from 81 to 87.

It does give appreciation to what LeBron did with his Finals streak 8 years in a row.

Watching Celtics-76ers or Celtics-Lakers games from that era that intensity is long gone from this era.

I remember thinking that (or how about Jordan in 98, guy was 34, had nothing left to prove in the regular season, and played all 82 games and averaged 38.8 MPG) and then you look at Lebron, who played every game in the 2018 season and lead the league in MPG (though only 36.9), after leading the league in MPG the year prior as well. Though obviously Lebron is a freak.

Bird averaged 40.6 MPG in the 87 season. You're right, mentality just totally different.

Just messing around in the play index, for various 5 year stretches, the # of player seasons averaging over 38 MPG (random # I picked)

1980-84: 23
1980-89: 31
1990-94: 65
1995-99: 88
2000-04: 121
2005-09: 91
2010-14: 33
2015-19: 2

So based of my very scientific research, looks like it peaked around the turn of the century. (Always weird to use that phrase and mean a period I remember as opposed to 1900). I wonder how much of it is due to the fact that the pace of the game bottomed out in that era, making it easier to play more minutes.

Here's a fun (?) trivia question. Since the 1980 season, the single season leader is someone I think you can probably guess the answer (thats a hint) to. He's responsible for 4 of the top 9 seasons in that period. Who is #2?

I remember thinking that (or how about Jordan in 98, guy was 34, had nothing left to prove in the regular season, and played all 82 games and averaged 38.8 MPG) and then you look at Lebron, who played every game in the 2018 season and lead the league in MPG (though only 36.9), after leading the league in MPG the year prior as well. Though obviously Lebron is a freak.

Bird averaged 40.6 MPG in the 87 season. You're right, mentality just totally different.

Just messing around in the play index, for various 5 year stretches, the # of player seasons averaging over 38 MPG (random # I picked)

1980-84: 23
1980-89: 31
1990-94: 65
1995-99: 88
2000-04: 121
2005-09: 91
2010-14: 33
2015-19: 2

So based of my very scientific research, looks like it peaked around the turn of the century. (Always weird to use that phrase and mean a period I remember as opposed to 1900). I wonder how much of it is due to the fact that the pace of the game bottomed out in that era, making it easier to play more minutes.

Here's a fun (?) trivia question. Since the 1980 season, the single season leader is someone I think you can probably guess the answer (thats a hint) to. He's responsible for 4 of the top 9 seasons in that period. Who is #2?
My guess without looking would Moses Malone.
I have watched a lot of old Sixers-Celtics games he never sat down.
It seemed like he always played 48 in those Games.

Even though they aren't finishing the season, I really hope they still award an MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, All-NBA Team, etc. They played 65 games.

In the 1999 lockout year they only played 50 games. It would be a crime if Giannis didn't get this MVP award to add to his historical resume.

My guess without looking would Moses Malone.
I have watched a lot of old Sixers-Celtics games he never sat down.
It seemed like he always played 48 in those Games.

Not a bad guess at all, he is at 42 MPG for the 82 season. Lead the league

The guy who is #2 had his best years in the 90s, if you want a hint.

Not a bad guess at all, he is at 42 MPG for the 82 season. Lead the league

The guy who is #2 had his best years in the 90s, if you want a hint.
I am not sure about the 90s.

So i wouldn’t have a clue.

"The Answer" Allan Iverson?

Man, I hope this season can get finished. What LeBron was doing was something special, and the Lakers were primed to make a run, and I wanted to see our guy Dion start getting some run to see if he could help...man.

My interest fell off a cliff after Kobe died. I watched none of the tributes and I didn’t turn a game on for weeks. The dunk contest/3 point contest was the first thing I watched after that.

I’d just finally gotten back into it in recent weeks where I was watching and excited about it again, and then this happens.

2020 has been some absolute BS. Horrible year so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom