NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 113 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Recency bias for sure, but has there ever been a year with so many all-star level players? All-star selection is primarily driven by individual numbers/talent/impact on the game/respect by peers, but team success of course plays a role, as well.

The current NBA game lends itself to more individual #s than in the past which possibly inflates how "good" a player is, there is no doubt, but the top talent in the league is incredible imo.

I could probably list 10 additional players, quite easily.

Last edited:
Recency bias for sure, but has there ever been a year with so many all-star level players? All-star selection is primarily driven by individual numbers/talent/impact on the game/respect by peers, but team success of course plays a role, as well.

The current NBA game lends itself to more individual #s than in the past which possibly inflates how "good" a player is, there is no doubt, but the top talent in the league is incredible imo.

I could probably list 10 players, quite easily.

I was looking at the guys that didn't make the all-star game thinking it was ridiculous and then I looked at the actual all-star rosters and I was like "Holy hell, those guys are all deserving too."

I was looking at the guys that didn't make the all-star game thinking it was ridiculous and then I looked at the actual all-star rosters and I was like "Holy hell, those guys are all deserving too."
Yeah, even just look at guys that are former all-stars recently that aren't currently on the team.

It's absurd really.

You feeling good about the Knicks making the playoffs?

I kind of wonder where they'd be if they had been able to swing Hayward.

Just talking to my buddy about it yesterday. We decided they should be able to make the play-in game at least. Miami is 10th at 14-17; I assume they will pick up the pace a little and pass the Knicks, but you basically have the Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets all tied, with Atlanta and Orlando off the pace. Atlanta feels like they should be better than they are, but A) maybe that is wrong, and B) we have a 1.5 game cushion on them, and C) we just need to beat out one of Charlotte and Chicago anyway, which seems doable.

The stat inflation now, for lack of a better term, really is crazy. No question the players now are great (my default assumption would be the players now are the best they have ever been, evolution and all that) but the average team now scores 112 points a game! If that holds, it would be the highest average in 50 years. Back in the 2016 season, which wasnt that long ago (really, I promise) the average team scored 102 points a game. We're regularly seeing ridiculous stat lines, basically on a nightly basis.

I was messing around with the game finder on bbref; I picked a random stat line, games with more than 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists. That's not a monster line, but pretty good. Here is the # of games that fit that criteria, by year

2021: 67 games (and counting, obviously; full season pace of 179)
2020: 140 (163 on a full season pace)
2019: 160
2018: 124
2017: 124
2016: 69

2020 was tracking to be basically inline with 2019 if everyone got to 82 games, 2020 and 2019 saw about a 30% increase over 2017 and 2018. 2021 is tracking to be a 10% increase over last year, and 160% over just 5 years ago

Just talking to my buddy about it yesterday. We decided they should be able to make the play-in game at least. Miami is 10th at 14-17; I assume they will pick up the pace a little and pass the Knicks, but you basically have the Knicks, Bulls, and Hornets all tied, with Atlanta and Orlando off the pace. Atlanta feels like they should be better than they are, but A) maybe that is wrong, and B) we have a 1.5 game cushion on them, and C) we just need to beat out one of Charlotte and Chicago anyway, which seems doable.

The stat inflation now, for lack of a better term, really is crazy. No question the players now are great (my default assumption would be the players now are the best they have ever been, evolution and all that) but the average team now scores 112 points a game! If that holds, it would be the highest average in 50 years. Back in the 2016 season, which wasnt that long ago (really, I promise) the average team scored 102 points a game. We're regularly seeing ridiculous stat lines, basically on a nightly basis.

I was messing around with the game finder on bbref; I picked a random stat line, games with more than 25 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists. That's not a monster line, but pretty good. Here is the # of games that fit that criteria, by year

2021: 67 games (and counting, obviously; full season pace of 179)
2020: 140 (163 on a full season pace)
2019: 160
2018: 124
2017: 124
2016: 69

2020 was tracking to be basically inline with 2019 if everyone got to 82 games, 2020 and 2019 saw about a 30% increase over 2017 and 2018. 2021 is tracking to be a 10% increase over last year, and 160% over just 5 years ago
Yeah, if Charlotte/Orlando/Chicago/Atlanta is the peer set that you're battling, I think you're looking alright.

Yeah, if Charlotte/Orlando/Chicago/Atlanta is the peer set that you're battling, I think you're looking alright.
Yeah, Orlando without Fultz and Isaac has significantly lowered prospects. Think they’d be a solid playoff team on the rise, with those two.

Charlotte is suddenly intriguing with Ball looking so good.

Yeah, Orlando without Fultz and Isaac has significantly lowered prospects. Think they’d be a solid playoff team on the rise, with those two.

Charlotte is suddenly intriguing with Ball looking so good.

Lamelo looks legit. I wonder what he would look like on the Warriors. Feel like that passing skill would really fit in well there

Lamelo looks legit. I wonder what he would look like on the Warriors. Feel like that passing skill would really fit in well there
I actually was just thinking about that this morning.

I don't know why.

You look at a guy like Booker and he’s averaging 24 PPG, which in the past would be automatic (although I think part of the uproar has more to do with his performance in the bubble than what he’s done this season). But that’s only good for 16th overall. Offensive numbers are going way up.

You look at a guy like Booker and he’s averaging 24 PPG, which in the past would be automatic (although I think part of the uproar has more to do with his performance in the bubble than what he’s done this season). But that’s only good for 16th overall. Offensive numbers are going way up.
It is interesting that Booker is finally part of a team that's winning, and now he's overlooked for honors.

I have to say I was kinda surprised with the east reserves. I thought Middleton was gonna be a lock. Didnt think all of Lavine, Randle, and Vuc would make it. (I also said weeks ago I didnt think Lavine would make it, so; whoops)

I have to say I was kinda surprised with the east reserves. I thought Middleton was gonna be a lock. Didnt think all of Lavine, Randle, and Vuc would make it. (I also said weeks ago I didnt think Lavine would make it, so; whoops)
Vuc has had a crazy great year though.

It is interesting that Booker is finally part of a team that's winning, and now he's overlooked for honors.
And the fact that Paul made it over him. All he really does is score, though.

Vuc has had a crazy great year though.

Yeah, he for sure is (taking 6 3's per game and nearly making 40%!)

Just, the coaches usually tend to default to players on good things everything else being equal. And Orlando is not doing so well.

Interesting thing, not sure exactly what to make of it. Orlando is 10 points per 100 worse WITH Vuc on the court. Their defense gets way better and their offense is flat.

Somewhat similar with Lavine; Bulls are 6 per 100 better without lavine; their defense is also atrocious with him on the floor.

Randle, on the other hand; the Knicks are 5 better with him on the court. Their offense is pretty terrible when he sits.

This is what I said all along too. Wiseman has been fine for them but man, I really felt like LaMelo fit like a glove in that system and it would have been so much fun to watch him and the Splash Bros whenever Klay got back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom