NBA Thread 2020-21 Season | Page 177 | Syracusefan.com

NBA Thread 2020-21 Season

Porzingis had a good season, actually much better than I expected when I looked at the #s. Gets ripped on a lot but he played well this year. I do agree though, for Mavs to compete need a bit more especially defensively. And he doesn’t use his size enough inside. But KP is certainly not a scrub imo.

he’s not a scrub, but he’s not near worth his money and flat out disappears in some games.

plus he can’t protect the rim and doesn’t board usually.

Luca getting tired
Carlisle changed his 1H minutes. Catching up to him now. They are going to have to get him some sort of rest here and there to keep him standing.

he’s not a scrub, but he’s not near worth his money and flat out disappears in some games.

He was hurt a lot this year.

When one of the Fake Tough Bros. goes for 20 points in less than three quarters against you, you’re probably going to lose

Not a bad adjustment by Lue giving Kennard some run the last two games. He’s fresh, so he’s making shots while not being a complete liability on defense.

I’ve watched KP miss at least four rebounds that he’s given up this game that he isn’t trying for.

Didn’t we recruit Huerter? That’s a guy who’s a lot better in the league than I ever thought he could be. Legit shooter with athleticism, length and bounce.
He was underrated at Maryland. Kinda similar to Kennard where he could actually do a lot of things offensively but people looked at him and assumed he was purely a shooter.

Fun fact: Milwaukee had agreed to a trade with Atlanta to move up in the draft for Huerter but our owner’s son leaked that we wanted Huerter and Atlanta realized that we’d take their guy so they bailed at the last second.

Bogdanovic has the stare of a man who’s seen some things and could not care less about a pressure moment in a basketball game.
Could be because I’m drunk but this cracked me up pretty good. Dead accurate, he gives zero chits about the big moments.

Not a bad adjustment by Lue giving Kennard some run the last two games. He’s fresh, so he’s making shots while not being a complete liability on defense.
He really should have been playing all along. It doesn’t have to be a massive role but he can certainly give them some shooting and passing that they aren’t getting from other guys. The team struggles defensively outside of Kawhi and PG anyways; might as well utilize him.

He really should have been playing all along. It doesn’t have to be a massive role but he can certainly give them some shooting and passing that they aren’t getting from other guys. The team struggles defensively outside of Kawhi and PG anyways; might as well utilize him.
Maybe. I do think it helps that he’s going against guys who are tired.

Morris, Batum, and Mann are good defenders.

I got involved in other things this afternoon was focused on the Habs game coming up at 6 and totally forgot about this game.

There is a reason I did not gloat while this was a lead for the Mavs at various points. I posted a few pics of Steve Ballmer sweating which were fair assessments but nothing more than that.

But its hard to have faith on a team being able to finish somebody off when their "second best" player is Porzingis. I don't think he is very good. Some Raps fans want him. I know we have a "star" like Siakam who has struggled in the last year and a third -- I don't want Porzingis to add to that/

KP is fun to bag on him, he's probably not as bad as I like to say, but I really haven't regretted the Knicks trading him since it happened. His rim protection stats are real interesting.

In his last year in NY, 2018, he was 2nd in the league in FG% allowed on shots 6 feet and in. The year before, he was 10th. As a rookie, he was 9th. Pretty damn elite, really.

Then his first year in Dallas, 12th. Still, really good. This season, of the 93 players who defended at least 200 shots (the random qualifier I used) he was 44th.

He doesnt rebound. He doesnt pass. (the 1.8 assists per game he had last year is a career high). If you can protect the rim at a high level (like prior to this year) and spread the floor with the 3, even with the lack of the other stuff, he can still be a good contributor (though maybe not at 30 million per year though). I don't really know what to make of the rim numbers this year. Maybe its a total fluke, or maybe the injuries have started to take their toll?

Someone, maybe it was Alsacs, predicted Carlisle would get fired if the Mavs lose this series. Why? He’s done a great job with what he has to work with. I’d love to have him coaching the Clips.

Well, rooting for the Clips to come out of the west now.

Dallas has to have a serious look at its roster. KP has to go.

Kawhi and Luka are two of the best players in the league.

This series is also why you deal with whatever Kawhi wants, he’s an absolute assassin when he’s locked in and healthy.

KP is fun to bag on him, he's probably not as bad as I like to say, but I really haven't regretted the Knicks trading him since it happened. His rim protection stats are real interesting.

In his last year in NY, 2018, he was 2nd in the league in FG% allowed on shots 6 feet and in. The year before, he was 10th. As a rookie, he was 9th. Pretty damn elite, really.

Then his first year in Dallas, 12th. Still, really good. This season, of the 93 players who defended at least 200 shots (the random qualifier I used) he was 44th.

He doesnt rebound. He doesnt pass. (the 1.8 assists per game he had last year is a career high). If you can protect the rim at a high level (like prior to this year) and spread the floor with the 3, even with the lack of the other stuff, he can still be a good contributor (though maybe not at 30 million per year though). I don't really know what to make of the rim numbers this year. Maybe its a total fluke, or maybe the injuries have started to take their toll?

It's just not rim numbers though. How is he as a team defender? How does he handle the top of the key stuff that is now so critical for centres? And I don't know the answer to that, I am sure some that watch more closely than me have better answers on that. After watching guys like Marc Gasol dominate defensively and analytically this is probably more important than rim protection.

In retrospect Andrea Bargnani is the JV version of Porzingis. Like Porzingis, Bargnani was actually a good defender in the post at times and had good analytics in this regard.
Porzingis doesn't rebound much - Bargnani never got a rebound in his life
Porzingis doens't play with much passion or heart it seems at times - Bargnani has no heart.
Porzingis spreads the 3 by shooting a lot of 3's at a decent rate - Bargnani sort of spread the floor by shooting a lot of 3's at a not so decent rate.
Porzingis doesn't appear to be a great team defender. Bargnani was the dumbest team defender, and that was before it mattered as much as it does today.

Just an excuse to rag on Andrea Bargnani as I am annoyed to see the Clippers win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom